Need a Second Opinion About Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyShoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying through AMCAS for this application cycle, and someone on Georgetown SOM's admissions committee (a colleague of my father) suggested I apply early decision to the University of Maryland (UMD). I can have everything done well ahead of the Aug. 1 deadline, and I really do want to go to UMD (in-state tuition is a big factor), but I don't know if it is too much of a risk. My cGPA is 3.94, and science GPA is 3.92, MCAT: 512 (chem/phys: 127, cars: 128, bio/biochem: 129, psych/soc: 128). I have about a 1000 hours of lab research, 70 hours clinical shadowing, 800 hours hospital volunteering, various volunteering hours through campus service organizations (some leadership). My GPA is higher than UMD's average, but their average matriculant has a GPA of 513. Anyone who knows anything about early decision applying, I would really love a second opinion (or more) about whether applying early would be good for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not yet an applicant, so grain of salt, but everyone says you should be well above their averages for EDP... I don’t know, your MCAT is below their average and it’s risky. I feel you’d do fine RD anyway, and EDP doesn’t give you a huge leg up. It can be tempting to just apply so you can know by October (God knows I’m resisting that urge...), but can you imagine what would happen if you don’t get in to this *one* school where your stats are technically below their averages? You’d have to reapply—do this ALL OVER AGAIN—next year.

Call the office and ask for a realistic assessment of your app and if they’d recommend EDP.

Reactions: 1 user