NCC or Stroke to INR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVNS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the consensus was.
NCC or Stroke to getting an INR fellowship, 1 year Vs 2 years.
Does anyone know if any program has any preference?
Vote here.

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on the program and their preference. Speaking as a neurocritical care fellow, I would certainly try to not do the full 2 years if you aren't planning on being an intensivist. It is hard.

That being said, I have worked with people in the last 2 years who have done either/or, depending on their career goals and the conditions of their INR fellowships. I don't think you are really going to find consensus here on this issue.

Thanx typhoonegator for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been awhile since I looked hard at NIR, but my personal plan was to complete a year of Vascular first. I was more interested in pure stroke medicine than all of neurocritical care. But NCC was an option I was entertaining, too.

As TN said, Vascular is one year shorter than NCC. I would say that the fellowships are both independently in high demand regardless of end point. I think the different NIR programs may have different preferences, too.

Which type of patients do you like to see more? Critical care patients or stroke patients?

I would think it would be worth checking with individual programs you have your eye on and with mentors/fellows/people at the SVIN and AAN meetings...

In my experience as an interventional neurology fellow, having done a neurocritical care fellowship earns you more respect in certain neurointerventional fellowship programs, especially those run by the neurosurgeons/radiologists. That being said, in this day and time one cannot be a marketable stroke neurologist without any ICU exposure whatsoever, so most of stroke fellowships would incorporate neurocritical exposure. So I would advise to either get into a stroke fellowship that gives you ample critical care neurology exposure (like MGH, for example) or do a neurocrit fellowship. Mastering central venous/arterial lines or even EVDs comes in handy in the angio suite and adds extra versatility to your set of skills

Just wondering what the consensus was.
NCC or Stroke to getting an INR fellowship, 1 year Vs 2 years.
Does anyone know if any program has any preference?
Vote here.