NBME online or CD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mixmaster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is everyone that is taking the NBME tests for Step 2CK going online and signing up. It's $45 at test, for only 4 blocks of 50 and you dont get the answer explanations! Is there a CD that is going around? Do you get to log on and see your exam after you take it, or is it a one shot thing? Do you recommend the timed or untimed exam. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The CD going around (and the program you can download from the NBME website ) are sample items. They familiarize you with the exam format, the software and the question format. I did the downloaded timed online version. At the end it gives you the answer key. They don't give you the predicted score you get from the online practice exams. You can do it as many times as you want but it'll be the same questions.

anamarylee said:
The CD going around (and the program you can download from the NBME website ) are sample items. They familiarize you with the exam format, the software and the question format. I did the downloaded timed online version. At the end it gives you the answer key. They don't give you the predicted score you get from the online practice exams. You can do it as many times as you want but it'll be the same questions.

wait, online they don't give you the answer key? but on the CD they do?

someone please clarify...

AS

AbuSimpson said:
wait, online they don't give you the answer key? but on the CD they do?

someone please clarify...

AS

Both the CD and the online sample items give you the answer key if you choose to see it (from the screen where you choose which block to do, to do the software tutor). The online practice exams, they give you the predicted score, not sure if it gives you the key since I've never taken one.

So I did the 3 sets of questions from the CD, and my scores were 41/46, 43/46, and 41/46.

This seems really weird because I've only been averaging about 60% on UW.

I'm guessing the real Step 2 CK is WAY harder than the CD questions, right?