NBME may change CS score requirement for passing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tajima

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think this will happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this rumor or is there an actual source for this?

And do you mean CK? CS doesn't have a score.

If you mean CK, the pass threshold changes every few years. Same with Step 1.

Instead of grading Step 2 CS as a Pass / Fail, they should score it on a continuum. Like get a grade from a low J to a high T.

Then the interview committees could give it the same amount of attention and consideration that committees previously gave other exams scored J-T.

Instead of grading Step 2 CS as a Pass / Fail, they should score it on a continuum. Like get a grade from a low J to a high T.

Then the interview committees could give it the same amount of attention and consideration that committees previously gave other exams scored J-T.

Does that mean it would entirely disappear in a few years after that change? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't they report that score in < 1month?

It's weird that CS exam got me really worried when everyone is saying it's not that difficult...
if you look at the reporting schedule for CS on usmle website and take CS during the last week of that reporting period you will only wait 4-5 weeks for results.

if you look at the reporting schedule for CS on usmle website and take CS during the last week of that reporting period you will only wait 4-5 weeks for results.

There's a score reporting window. Not everyone will receive their score on the first date that scores can be released. If you take it close to the end of the testing period, you may get your score a little later.

i.e. for the testing period July 17 - Sept 10, the score reporting window is Oct 12 - Nov 9. If you take the test Sept 10, there's no guarantee you'll get your score on Oct 12. NBME would have until Nov 9 to get your score to you.

There's a score reporting window. Not everyone will receive their score on the first date that scores can be released. If you take it close to the end of the testing period, you may get your score a little later.

i.e. for the testing period July 17 - Sept 10, the score reporting window is Oct 12 - Nov 9. If you take the test Sept 10, there's no guarantee you'll get your score on Oct 12. NBME would have until Nov 9 to get your score to you.
yeah your right but the majority come out on the first wednesday and 98-99% by the third. all i was saying is if you take CS towards the end of the testing period you will wait significantly less guranteed

@Ismet and others

Are the short written notes (H&P) of 200-250 words that I have seen on FA step2 CS book acceptable for the real CS exam?

Your HPI has to also include ROS, PMH, FH, SH, Meds, Allergies, etc. You only have 950 characters (including spaces, and I think hard returns count as 2 characters) to do all of that.

Patient Note Entry Form

Your HPI has to also include ROS, PMH, FH, SH, Meds, Allergies, etc. You only have 950 characters (including spaces, and I think hard returns count as 2 characters) to do all of that.

Patient Note Entry Form
I see... I just purchased FA step2 CS book and I was shocked to see how short the notes are since I was told I need to be able to type at least 40 wpm to pass CS. Well, I guess they might be right since one will be very nervous when writing these notes.

I see... I just purchased FA step2 CS book and I was shocked to see how short the notes are since I was told I need to be able to type at least 40 wpm to pass CS. Well, I guess they might be right since one will be very nervous when writing these notes.

Good prep and you shouldn't be too nervous. I think having a calm attitude on test day made my day go well. FWIW, I type 70-80 wpm and I usually had 1-2 minutes to review the note depending on the case. They're nice enough to provide you with a practice note which is identical to what you'll see on test day, so you can time yourself and practice to your heart's content.

Reactions: 1 user

Patient Note Entry Form
Practice with this patient note entry form a lot.

The thing that got me wasn't the character limit, it was the line limit. I think the note is 15 lines maximum. So you have to learn to consolidate lines, stuffing FH and SH on a line, or maybe Meds and Alergies together as necessary to keep yourself under the line limit.

Practice with this patient note entry form a lot.

The thing that got me wasn't the character limit, it was the line limit. I think the note is 15 lines maximum. So you have to learn to consolidate lines, stuffing FH and SH on a line, or maybe Meds and Alergies together as necessary to keep yourself under the line limit.

Yeah I never made hard returns. They don't care if you just lump it all in 1 paragraph.

Really! So we don't have to follow the format in FA CS book...

I didn't and passed comfortably. As long as it's readable, I don't think they give a hoot about structure.

I did make hard returns for the PE section but that's just out of habit.