NBME before prep for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdmTS13

Reaction score
How smart of an idea is it to take an NBME self assessment test before starting preparation to determine where you stand? Considering money is not a problem, of course.
Thanks in anticipation.

Members don't see this ad.

How smart of an idea is it to take an NBME self assessment test before starting preparation to determine where you stand? Considering money is not a problem, of course.
Thanks in anticipation.
It's a good idea actually, not only to know where you stand, but more importantly to gauge progress.

P.S. OP not directed towards you, but this is sdn pre-med crappy mentality to save every buck and live on a ramen. If someone thinks nbme isn't worth $50 given that they literally pay hundreds of thousands for their education - then he/she is an idiot (from latin - person who has no clue, so I'm not offending anyone lol). You are not a fastfood worker who can lick their snots or wipe them with their shirt, you are a future doctor and actually need to invest in yourself be it nbme, healthy food or a goddamn handkerchief to wipe your nose properly. Pre-med life has ended.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a good idea actually, not only to know where you stand, but more importantly to gauge progress.

P.S. OP not directed towards you, but this is sdn pre-med crappy mentality to save every buck and live on a ramen. If someone thinks nbme isn't worth $50 given that they literally pay hundreds of thousands for their education - then he/she is an idiot (from latin - person who has no clue, so I'm not offending anyone lol). You are not a fastfood worker who can lick their snots or wipe them with their shirt, you are a future doctor and actually need to invest in yourself be it nbme, healthy food or a goddamn handkerchief to wipe your nose properly. Pre-med life has ended.

Much appreciated, thanks!

I definitely had this thought prior to starting my USMLE exam preparation! A big thing that I would caution you is that if you have no or limited "pathology / pharmacology / biochemistry" I think it would be useless because half the concepts you would not know - I got a lot of M2 material under my belt (about 80% of it) before I started taking practice exams - I think it would be a better use of your time! Definitely dependent on your med school curriculum as well!

Reactions: 1 user