NBEO Part I Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WoodyJI

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Board Score Results for the first administration of "Applied Basic Sciences" are up!

Looks like they dropped 7 questions out of the 500 total.

87% pass-rate across the nation.

Average raw score of 365/493 (74%).

Min raw score for passing was 319/493 (64%).

Best of luck if you haven't checked yet!

By the way, if any of you really understands how the scaled scores worked, could you post that? kthxbai.

Members don't see this ad.

PASSED HERE!!!!! SUNY-O 2010 kicked ass yo!!!!

yep, congrats to our 3rd yr students:D

Members don't see this ad :)
PASSED HERE!!!!! SUNY-O 2010 kicked ass yo!!!!

I didn't know that the University pass rates were out yet.
I do know that I passed though.

745p son! :D

Congrats to everyone that passed. I was wondering what study materials did you guys use to study for boards. I didn't do well on boards. I am feel like i am the only one who didnt do well. I am just trying to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for next one. Any information from you guys would be appreciated.

overall scaled scores go like this: (the sub-section scores are different)
1. The scale limits for passing are set at 900 = perfect score; 300 = minimum passing score by convention.
2. Reject questions are eliminated from the test: this year 493 valid questions
3. Minimum raw passing limit (supposedly pre-determined) is established: this year 319
4. There are (493-319)= 174 questions between perfect 493/493 and minimum passing 319/493, and there is a difference of 600 scaled points between perfect 900 and minimum 300, so just divide 600/174 to get ~3.448 scaled points per question OVER the minimum 319.
Ex: 320/493 scales to 303
321/493 sclaes to 307, etc.
EZ formula: scaled score = 3.4483*(raw score - 319) + 300

overall scaled scores go like this: (the sub-section scores are different)
1. The scale limits for passing are set at 900 = perfect score; 300 = minimum passing score by convention.
2. Reject questions are eliminated from the test: this year 493 valid questions
3. Minimum raw passing limit (supposedly pre-determined) is established: this year 319
4. There are (493-319)= 174 questions between perfect 493/493 and minimum passing 319/493, and there is a difference of 600 scaled points between perfect 900 and minimum 300, so just divide 600/174 to get ~3.448 scaled points per question OVER the minimum 319.
Ex: 320/493 scales to 303
321/493 sclaes to 307, etc.
EZ formula: scaled score = 3.4483*(raw score - 319) + 300
Thanks for explaining this so well. I guess this means that the average raw score on the test (365/493 or 74%) scales to 459.

Congrats to everyone that passed. I was wondering what study materials did you guys use to study for boards. I didn't do well on boards. I am feel like i am the only one who didnt do well. I am just trying to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for next one. Any information from you guys would be appreciated.
Could you start by posting what study materials you used for the test as well as how you prepared in general (when you started, how you approached it, etc.)? Then we'll have a better idea how to help you.

I used an older version of the KMK guide and the Berkley guide. I think the KMK guide>>>Berkley.

Also, practice questions!!!

Here is what I used:

KMK Class, book, and review questions online (AWESOME!)
Butterworth-Heineman Review Questions (hard but helpful)
Class notes for Ocular Disease and Systemic Disease

Looking back, I would have spent less time on Optics and more on other topics, such as disease.

Good luck!

Congratulations to all! Can you guys give us some advice, tips and guidance as to what study materials helped you the best? I am also just about to take part 1 in August, since this is an entirely restructured exam I have no idea what materials to use except for Butterworth book, and Berkeley guide.

What is the KMK class? How doe you get the review questions online? What Books helped the most? What about Schwartz book on perception?

What books did you use for Anatomy/ biochecmistry/ physiology?

I know it could be overwhelming but if we have the right materials then we can be more prepared.

Thanks in advance!

Here is what I used:

KMK Class, book, and review questions online (AWESOME!)
Butterworth-Heineman Review Questions (hard but helpful)
Class notes for Ocular Disease and Systemic Disease

Looking back, I would have spent less time on Optics and more on other topics, such as disease.

Good luck!

The KMK class is a boards review class put on by 2 ODs, a PA, and a PhD in Physics. If you pay for the course, you get the book and access to review questions online. Check this link out for more info. http://www.kmkedu.com/page/page/2964235.htm

As far as what books I used, I did use Schwartz, mainly for the color vision stuff. Remington is invaluable for Anatomy. (We are lucky to have Remington herself at Pacific.) I didn't use any specific book for Biochemistry and Physiology other than KMK and my class notes.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
...Looking back, I would have spent less time on Optics and more on other topics, such as disease.
I second this opinion. If I were to do it again, I'd be tempted to read through either The Wills Eye Manual or Kanski's Clinical Ophthalmology.

Like someone else said, I'd only use Schwartz for the color vision and for the optics of measuring VA (i.e., calculating MAR, etc.)—try to find the most clinically relevant stuff. A lot of us read Schwartz cover-to-cover, and while it was a good read, it wasn't entirely worth it for the test.

I'm a big fan of Remington's Ocular Anatomy also.

As far as Berkeley Guides, KMK, First Aid, BRS, whatever review books...just use them as a table of contents. I'd strengthen the content you learned using the notes from which you learned...that's what you paid tuition for, right?

Class notes are invaluable, especially the courses where professors were willing to talk over your heads at that point. I'd also recommend trying to study your notes in parallel instead of in serial. What I mean is, cover conjunctival anatomy, histology, pharmacology, and pathology together...instead of covering the conj in passing as you study all of anatomy, histo, pharm, and path. Besides being more interesting, it's much more integrative, which is what I think boards should probably be all about—tying things together. Just my 2¢ :prof:.

I honestly don't think KMK helped. In hindsight, I wouldn't have taken it. Boards was a lot more clinically oriented than just pure memorization. For example, A LOT of binocular vision questions showed up that KMK did not touch. However I learned all of it from my class notes. Majority of people I spoke too, felt this too.

Still passed boards though so I'm a happy camper!

I honestly don't think KMK helped. In hindsight, I wouldn't have taken it. Boards was a lot more clinically oriented than just pure memorization. For example, A LOT of binocular vision questions showed up that KMK did not touch. However I learned all of it from my class notes. Majority of people I spoke too, felt this too.

Still passed boards though so I'm a happy camper!

To each his/her own...

Given the fact that KMK had as much knowledge of how the restructured exam would look as we did, I think they did the best job they could have. They recently sent out an email saying they had received a lot of feedback about how they could improve, and that they have already started rewriting the guide.

There were of course things that they didn't cover, and in fact they were incredibly up front about that, saying don't just study their guide. But, the things they did cover, they did very well. (In my opinion...) I smoked the Pharm and Optics sections because of the review in the KMK class. BV is luckily Pacific's strong suit, so no one could have taught it any better than what we've already had.

I would take the class again, in a heartbeat. If your school offers it, talk to upperclassmen and get their opinions. If you can pass the test without spending the extra money, more power to you.

I second most of what has been said above. The KMK course was invaluable in helping me get on track and focus on areas I was weak in. The best thing I did prior to part I was reading Mass Eye & Ear front to back. I am certain that this alone helped raise my scores throughout the exam.

I used just the KMK book and class to study for boards. After taking the boards i realized that was the worst mistake of my life. I should have used other sources. :mad:

I used just the KMK book and class to study for boards. After taking the boards i realized that was the worst mistake of my life. I should have used other sources. :mad:

SCO does not allow KMK to come on campus to teach. SCO offers their own review courses with their professors. Basically we had 2 months of review from our former teachers in condensed form. I'm glad we didn't have to pay any money for KMK or our school's review courses. The only money I've spent besides the registration fee was the Butterworth's Review Questions [Not recommended for $70] and lots of copying money. Luckily I had an upperclassman who gave me her 2003 Berkley Guide and 2007 KMK guide. And I will pass both those guides to my little 'sib'.

I don't know how the KMK course was, but if I was to study all over again... I would use the KMK book, classnotes, Remington's Anatomy, and READ Will's Eye Manual. My biggest weakness was ocular dz and pathology. Go figure.

SCO does not allow KMK to come on campus to teach. SCO offers their own review courses with their professors. Basically we had 2 months of review from our former teachers in condensed form. I'm glad we didn't have to pay any money for KMK or our school's review courses. The only money I've spent besides the registration fee was the Butterworth's Review Questions [Not recommended for $70] and lots of copying money. Luckily I had an upperclassman who gave me her 2003 Berkley Guide and 2007 KMK guide. And I will pass both those guides to my little 'sib'.

I don't know how the KMK course was, but if I was to study all over again... I would use the KMK book, classnotes, Remington's Anatomy, and READ Will's Eye Manual. My biggest weakness was ocular dz and pathology. Go figure.

Hello Blazenmaden,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the NBEO1 study tips. I was actually looking for a review class and I am glad you mentioned about SCO. Do you know when the review class is and if they will take a non SCO student??

Regarding those two guides (KMK and BG) that you said you wold pass on to your little sib, are you willing to loan them or rent them? I am interested here.:) Which books did you use as a textbook in class for Physiology, pathology, Physiological and Ophtlalmic Optics? is there a lot of Biochem involved and would you agree to the other post that there were few optics covered?

Thanks in advance@

Hello Blazenmaden,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the NBEO1 study tips. I was actually looking for a review class and I am glad you mentioned about SCO. Do you know when the review class is and if they will take a non SCO student??

Regarding those two guides (KMK and BG) that you said you wold pass on to your little sib, are you willing to loan them or rent them? I am interested here.:) Which books did you use as a textbook in class for Physiology, pathology, Physiological and Ophtlalmic Optics? is there a lot of Biochem involved and would you agree to the other post that there were few optics covered?

Thanks in advance@

I'm not sure about non-SCO students. But we had our classes in Jan. 09-March 09 M,W,Th,Fri (7.30-8.30am every morning). The review class would begin prior to our 'regular' classes and clinic schedule.

At SCO we adopt an underclassman to help them through optometry school, so my materials will go to him. :)

I don't have the names of the books, but I mainly used class notes.

Good luck!

To add onto blazen's post, since you were curious about texts:

Vander's Human Physiology is our phys book. Not sure about path, don't take it til next semester. And we don't have texts for optics of the eye or ophthalmic optics.

Congrats to all! I am wondering what BV book you recommend for preparing for the Board exam? Any help will be appreciated.

For boards do they pass you by looking at your raw score or your overall scaled score. How much do you need on each section to pass?

and how are the overall scaled score calculated. i was using the method previously mentioned in this thread but the number dont add up!

Hello There,

Did anyone have good news to share on the August Part 1 exams for the NBEO? Anyone from California or International OD's who took the exam? Please share some of your experiences.

Thanks!