NBEO in Canada vs US

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye.believe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Has anyone taken the NBEO part 1 exam in Canada? If so, please share your experience. I'm a Canadian student at an optometry school in the US. I want to be close to home, but should I take it in the US? Not sure what to do....

Members don't see this ad.

Now that you mention it, I remember taking part I in Canada (at UW). It's taken in a room of exam takers and it's supervised by UWSO staff. What else do you want to know?

I didn't know you could take it at UW, I thought it has to be at a pearson vue test centre.
Is it the same exact test (with the same questions) administered in both Canada and US. For example, if i took part 1 in Canada and my friend took it in US on the same day, would we have the same exact questions or will it be different questions?

Is it better to take the test in your home town or in the state in which the school is located? If I take it with my classmates, I know alot of people will be nervous and start stressing. I don't think it's a type of vibe I would want to surround myself with, so I was thinking of just going back home without the unnecessary stress, but then I would be all alone without the support of my friends.

Maybe things have changed. When I wrote the test, it was paper-based.

You'll have to decide for yourself if having friends around are a help or a hindrance.