NBDEI: Stax versus Decks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentoform

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing for Boards Part I, and I am trying to figure out what I should get. Should I get DentalDecks or DentalStax? All I know is that DentalStax has color and DentalDecks don't.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got both of them, and I can tell you this much: the Stax are a heck of a lot prettier. Apparently the Stax used to have a ton of mistakes, so I contacted the guy who runs the company about that. The newest version has corrected most of them, so I figured I'd take the plunge. I'm taking the test this summer, so as far as content, I'm not exactly sure - I'm going to use both, since I haven't heard enough feedback regarding the Stax. The decks seem to be tried and true, so I'm hesitant to try solely the Stax.

Yeah, my buddy has decks and they are just black and white. Not much of a visual aid. The stax are laminated and color coded. That's the thing that weirds me out. They are about the same price, but stax are better in quality. That leads me believe it's probably worst in content.

At any rate you are right, getting both is probably the safer route.

So what's the short and sweet of it IF you were to choose just ONE? WE can start a poll if needed

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the stax are well designed and are based on exam material. It's probably a good idea to supplement the dental anatomy/occlusion info with other resources since the NBDE emphasizes this subject.

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I just order the stax. It came out to 188 shipped. My roommate had decks so I guess I will compare them when they come.