NBDE part 1- jan/feb/march 2011 test takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKDmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone whose appearing for the nbde part 1 for jan or feb (or anytime early next year).. Im starting this thread so that we can all motivate each other, and keep each other updated on our progress. so that we dont get lazy, but rather stick to schedule and stay focussed.

**Please dont ask for books, or material or study partners in this thread.

Lets keep it solely for
1. Motivating each other
2. Sharing any mistakes or tips to study better
3. Asking questions during preparation
4. Anything you wish to share with others while you are studying
5. Review or questions regarding books, decks, tests that you are using during this study period

Thanks, and i wish good luck to my fellow test takers :)

Members don't see this ad.

But the ans given is B. a second of distal root

i didnt know the answer. but the most common is the distolingual. the answer should be lingual.[/QUOTE]

sorry about that, distolingual would be considered a second distal i stand corrected.

my initial answer for the premolar question was buccal in cervical and lingual in middle third. however there was no answer choice for that, so i looked it up in wheelers. on pg 163 it states that the answer should be both in middle third. hope tht is the answer that you have.

How many correct answers is pass these days, anyone?? or roughly.
Thanx

hey...materials i used are nothing extraordinary..i jus did

kaplan review books
decks 09-10
first aid
and lil bit asda..

thats it... i didnt use Qbook , or mosby or that DA book which everyone says to use.cant remember its name.
and about strategy..its like everyone says , stick to the basics..keep on reading again.first reading i gave was book wise..like i finished review books..then i started decks..and then first aid...and so on...on consecutive readings i did subjectwise..like start one subject and do it from every book..and so on..
thats it.. any other detail , any one can ask..

Members don't see this ad :)
they dont really release that info, but i have a vague idea..

280/400 is around an 82
300/400 is around an 85

somewhere between 240-260 is the number ur looking for to just pass with a 75. hope that helps a bit.

they dont really release that info, but i have a vague idea..

280/400 is around an 82
300/400 is around an 85

somewhere between 240-260 is the number ur looking for to just pass with a 75. hope that helps a bit.

Thanx , and good luck on your exam Amreki ;-)

sorry about that, distolingual would be considered a second distal i stand corrected.

my initial answer for the premolar question was buccal in cervical and lingual in middle third. however there was no answer choice for that, so i looked it up in wheelers. on pg 163 it states that the answer should be both in middle third. hope tht is the answer that you have.

But the answer given is cervical buccal and lingual occlusal............
similar question in pilot exam says lingual in middle third

i would go for the more reputable source like the pilot exam from ASDA. where was this question from? if it was from crack the nbde or a different source than i'd definitely pay more credence to an ASDA paper.

other than that i dont know what to tell you! sorry i couldnt be more help.

Hey evrybody.. have been reading posts around here.. very informative.. congrats bhavi on your score
Had a question to put across
Which of the following substances is least polar?
a. Ethanol
b. Cholesterol
c. Palmitic Acid
d. Glycocholic Acid
Key answer is b.... i thought it had a polar component ( OH gp) which was thus found on the surface of the VLDL... my answer would have been Palmitic Acid ( Saturated Fatty Acid)
Thanx in advance

:thumbup::thumbup:
i would go for the more reputable source like the pilot exam from ASDA. where was this question from? if it was from crack the nbde or a different source than i'd definitely pay more credence to an ASDA paper.

other than that i dont know what to tell you! sorry i couldnt be more help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey evrybody.. have been reading posts around here.. very informative.. congrats bhavi on your score
a. Ethanol
b. Cholesterol
c. Palmitic Acid
d. Glycocholic Acid
Key answer is b.... i thought it had a polar component ( OH gp) which was thus found on the surface of the VLDL... my answer would have been Palmitic Acid ( Saturated Fatty Acid)
Thanx in advance

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think since the question is asking for the LEAST polar molecule (implying that they are all polar) the answer is cholesterol because an OH group is not as polar as a COOH. Also, I think cholesterol has more hydrophobic carbon material in its structure, having more of a canceling effect on the polarity of the OH.

Thanks anaita... and i think preomfs ' s explanation of the answer is right..
a. Ethanol
b. Cholesterol
c. Palmitic Acid
d. Glycocholic Acid
Thanx in advance

Thanx.. Yes it does stand to logic...plz could you lemme kw where i should read that stuff from??

I'm not sure about where to reference that (biochem book? GI physio?). I just remember the structure of cholesterol and I know that palmitic acid is 16 carbons long from undergrad.

which of the following differentiates mandibular premolar from maxillary premolar? mandibular premolars
1)have pulp horns of equal size
2)have lingual cusps less developed
3)have crown tilted to facial
4)have roots much less round and bifurcated
5)have trapezoid shape facial surfaces

which of the following differentiates mandibular premolar from maxillary premolar? mandibular premolars
Answer should be 2), i guess... :)

ANS: 2)have lingual cusps less developed

i also fully agree with the answer being 2 . BUT this is a ASDA released packet N question and the answer is facially tilted!!

it doesnt sit well with me, and so im going with 2, regardless if its ASDA or not unless someone can quote some source or post a link to clear my confusion.

i also fully agree with the answer being 2 . BUT this is a ASDA released packet N question and the answer is facially tilted!!

it doesnt sit well with me, and so im going with 2, regardless if its ASDA or not unless someone can quote some source or post a link to clear my confusion.
Yes Amreki... since in the same packet they have asked a question implying the lingual cusp of mandibular second premolar is 2/3 the height of buccal cusp and buccally inclined mandibular premolars are not viable for a good occlusion.... you take care... am sure there will be no such question on your exam... all the best!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

plz plz plz, don't press me more, i'm already dying each day.
i don't know why it is taking so long time with me???
i'm sleeping in front of the postal office everyday!!!
plz pray for me i do really need these prayer

Hey Haam, I haven't come across any new posts from u. Is ur results in yet or did i miss ur score...? If its in, u r probably celebrating and haven't had a chance to share with us and if u r still waiting for it, I'm sure it'll be an outstanding score!:xf:Fingers crossed... Keep us posted.

Which of following occur when venous blood reaches the lungs...
1)movement of chloride from erythrocyte to plasma
2)movement of bicarbonate ions from erythrocyte to plasma

Which of following occur when venous blood reaches the lungs...
1)movement of chloride from erythrocyte to plasma
2)movement of bicarbonate ions from erythrocyte to plasma
The answer is 2)... results in low PH .. which brings the Bohr effect into action.. altered affinity to CO, O2... Co2 in the blood results in Carbonic Acid
H2CO3---><---- HCO3- + H+.... shifts into the RBC... In the lung there is exchange between this CO2 ( bicarbonate )and the serum and to compensate when the Co2 levels go do down in RBC... Chloride shifts into RBC .... (just wiki Chloride shift)

hmm gave my part one today... overall i'd say the questions ranged from very easy to medium to very hard with no in betweens... there were about 30-40 questions i had no clue about .. even so, I feel like I did enough for at least around mid 80's.. i'll let u guys know when i get my score..

Yup ..thats what i thought when i gave the exam... In my case it was like , first 100 questions were really easy..By then i thought , exam is really easy and my preparation is too good..But after 100 , they actually managed to demoralise me with every question..lol.. Real tough questions started after that.. But anyways. You are gonna do great .Have faith .. :) Best of luck.
hmm gave my part one today... overall i'd say the questions ranged from very easy to medium to very hard with no in betweens... there were about 30-40 questions i had no clue about .. even so, I feel like I did enough for at least around mid 80's.. i'll let u guys know when i get my score..

Yup ..thats what i thought when i gave the exam... In my case it was like , first 100 questions were really easy..By then i thought , exam is really easy and my preparation is too good..But after 100 , they actually managed to demoralise me with every question..lol.. Real tough questions started after that.. But anyways. You are gonna do great .Have faith .. :) Best of luck.

Not a single exam have i come back without feeling the way you guys have felt... :). So we just wait it out to be pleasantly surprised with the results

Have a question , plz help
Each of the following appears in the Glomerular filterate in approx the same conc as in plasma except
a)Urea
b) Glucose
c)Amino Acids
d)Steroid hormones
e) Plasma electrolytes

Which of the following would most likely form a micelle when mixed with water and agitated
A)Serine
B) glycerol
C) Phospholipid
D) Triglyceride
Key answer is C... why not D
Again a question on relative polarity..:(

Fluoride is a known competitor of enolase’s substrate 2-PG. The fluoride is part of a complex with magnesium and phosphate, which binds in the active site instead of 2-PG.[4] As such, drinking fluoridated water provides fluoride at a level that inhibits oral bacteria enolase activity without harming humans. Disruption of the bacteria’s glycolytic pathway - and, thus, its normal metabolic functioning - prevents dental caries from forming.[18][19]
Wanted to share this piece of info with evrybody... maybe you all are already are aware of this fact

Hey Amreki,
During your practice sessions had you timed the time available for answering each question and if so; hw much is it??

Pieces of dog parotid gland and pancreas are transplantes under the skin of the donor animal.After reestablishment of circulation, ingestion of food will result in secretion of which of the following??
a)Parotid gland and pancreatic transplants
b) Fragment of pancreas only
c) Fragment of parotid only
d)Neither fragment
Key answer is b)
The only thing this question managed to do is gross me out:eek:... plz explain!!

Which of the following would most likely form a micelle when mixed with water and agitated
A)Serine
B) glycerol
C) Phospholipid
D) Triglyceride
Key answer is C... why not D
Again a question on relative polarity..:(

A micelle is formed when a variety of molecules including soaps and detergents are added to water. The molecule may be a fatty acid, a salt of a fatty acid (soap), phospholipids, or other similar molecules. The molecule must have a strongly polar "head" and a non-polar hydrocarbon chain "tail".
Serine and glycerol are polar
Triglyceride is highly nonpolar(hydrophobic)and form oily droplets in water- they should be emulsified,hydralized to monoglyceride and fatty acids before it can form micelles with bile salts.
Phospholipid is amphipathic (both polar and nonpolar)- amphiphilic compounds can easily form micelles and are good emulsifiers - the droplets of the emulsion being similar to expanded micelles

A micelle is formed when a variety of molecules including soaps and detergents are added to water. The molecule may be a fatty acid, a salt of a fatty acid (soap), phospholipids, or other similar molecules. The molecule must have a strongly polar "head" and a non-polar hydrocarbon chain "tail".
Serine and glycerol are polar
Triglyceride is highly nonpolar(hydrophobic)and form oily droplets in water- they should be emulsified,hydralized to monoglyceride and fatty acids before it can form micelles with bile salts.
Phospholipid is amphipathic (both polar and nonpolar)- amphiphilic compounds can easily form micelles and are good emulsifiers - the droplets of the emulsion being similar to expanded micelles

Thanx so much!! forgot that in the intestine the bile works on the triglycerides before the micelles are formed... :)

Have a question , plz help
Each of the following appears in the Glomerular filterate in approx the same conc as in plasma except
a)Urea
b) Glucose
c)Amino Acids
d)Steroid hormones
e) Plasma electrolytes

ANS- d)Steroid hormones

ANS- d)Steroid hormones
Could not understand why?? As it is the plasma levels of unbound steroid hormones is extremely low.... oh yes they recycle back to the liver for degradation and reformation of endogenous cholesterol....do they???

What is the net charge on glutamic acid at a PH of 1?
a- +2
B- +1
C- 0
d- -1
e- -2
Glutamic Acid is an amino acid with an acidic chain but hw would one determine its net charge at pH 1 (very low pH so will be in protonated ie + form) but hw does one calculate the charge.. plz explain

Hiii every one im just starting to read all the information about the equivalence processs can any one explain to me how it works? Like the way of payments and dates? I recently move to toronto so im just starting to getting use to this but i want to apply to take the test feb of 2012

hi amerik i was reading your post and i think you are all ready in the process of talking the NDEB exam? hope evything goes perfect! also i wanted to ask you if you think the example exam that they have online if its a good idea to do it just to have and idea for the real exam or is better to start studing of books. by the way im from guatemala

HIII IM JUST STARTING TO READ ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE EQUIVALENCE PROCESSS CAN ANY ONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW IT WORKS? LIKE THE WAY OF PAYMENTS AND DATES? I RECENTLY MOVE TO TORONTO SO IM JUST STARTING TO GETTING USE TO THIS BUT I WANT TO APPLY TO TAKE THE TEST FEB OF 2012. by the way im from guatemala,ALSO I WANTED TO ASK U ABOUT THE EXAMPLE TEST THAT THEY HAVE ONLINE DO YOU THINK IT GOOD TO STUDY FROM THERE? OR DEFINI GO TO EACH TEXT BOOK OF THE SUBJECT THAT THEY GIVE SORRY TO BOTHER YOU!

Could not understand why?? As it is the plasma levels of unbound steroid hormones is extremely low.... oh yes they recycle back to the liver for degradation and reformation of endogenous cholesterol....do they???

Once a hormone is secreted into the blood stream by an endocrine tissue, depending on their solubility, few, that are readily soluble in blood are transported free but most are bound to a specific plasma protein carrier, with the complex being disseminated to distant tissues. Plasma carrier proteins exist for all classes of endocrine hormones. Carrier proteins for peptide hormones prevent hormone destruction by plasma proteases. Carriers for steroid and thyroid hormones allow these very hydrophobic substances to be present in the plasma at concentrations several hundred-fold greater than their solubility in water would permit. Carriers for small, hydrophilic amino acid-derived hormones prevent their filtration through the renal glomerulus, greatly prolonging their circulating half-life.
Hormones need to be metabolically converted from their biologically active form into an inactive one. Inactivation can occur at various stages of hormone action. Peripheral inactivation (e.g. by liver enzymes) is required to ensure steady-state levels of plasma hormones as steroids are more or less continuously secreted into the bloodstream. Moreover, if a hormone is to act as a " chemical signal ", its half-life in the circulation must be limited, so that any change in secretion rate is immediately reflected by a change in its plasma concentration (particularly when secretion rates are decreased). But hormone inactivation can also occur in target tissues, notably after the hormone has triggered the relevant biological effects in order to ensure termination of hormone action.
The main site of peripheral steroid inactivation and catabolism is the liver, but some catabolic activity also occurs in the kidneys. Inactive hormones are mainly eliminated as urinary (mostly conjugated with sulphate and/or glucuronide derivatives) metabolites. Usually, steroids are eliminated once they have been inactivated (i.e., they are not " recycled "). This elimination (e.g. as a urinary excretion products) requires conversion to hydrophilic compounds in order to ensure their solubility in biological fluids at rather high concentrations.
Glomerular filtrate has everything same as plasma except proteins. Steroid hormones , Thyroid hormones, Vitamins A, D, E, K all need protein as transporter to circulate in the blood.As there is no protein filtering into Glomerular filtrate, those Steroid hormones can not be filtered

Last edited:
Once a hormone is secreted by an endocrine tissue, it generally binds to a specific plasma protein carrier, with the complex being disseminated to distant tissues. Plasma carrier proteins exist for all classes of endocrine hormones. Carrier proteins for peptide hormones prevent hormone destruction by plasma proteases. Carriers for steroid and thyroid hormones allow these very hydrophobic substances to be present in the plasma at concentrations several hundred-fold greater than their solubility in water would permit. Carriers for small, hydrophilic amino acid-derived hormones prevent their filtration through the renal glomerulus, greatly prolonging their circulating half-life.
Glomerular filtrate has everything same as plasma except proteins.
Steroid hormones , Thyroid hormones, Vitamins A, D, E, K all need protein as transporter to circulate in the blood.As there is no protein filtering into Glomerular filtrate, those Steroid hormones can not be filtered
Thanx so much.. later on when i thought about it realised that the protein carriers could not pass the glomerulus and hence the difference between the plasma and glomerular levels.... you could take the exam today..:)

Hi everybody,

can anyone help me what i should do these few days before the exam?i have the exam next week.

if anyone have asda i-n booklet exam can sent me by email?

Thanx so much.. later on when i thought about it realised that the protein carriers could not pass the glomerulus and hence the difference between the plasma and glomerular levels.... you could take the exam today..:)

I knew, it had to be steroid hormones since they are protein bound and protein's are large polar molecules are not filtered into the glomerulus. and also was sure that the conc of small non-polar solutes is the same in the plasma and the filtrate.
The rest of the explanation that I have put up is what i researched to make sure I was right and thought I might as well share it.
I haven't taken a date yet, for the test. I noticed that u have been actively solving Q's on SDN and I couldn't solve quite a few of them myself and had to read through the explanation's. So, I'm in no way ready for the test...and I still have a subject to complete:oops:. Appreciate ur comment though.

Last edited: