Navy residency v. fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, can anybody give me bit of information. My apologies if these questions has already been asked. Here it goes, I am Navy HPSP recepient and thinking about making it my carrier. So

1. How difficuilt it is to match in Navy General Surgery?
2. I am thinking about either General Surgery or GI, so the next question is whethre Navy GI fellowship is as competetive as outside?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Dreamer said:
Hey, can anybody give me bit of information. My apologies if these questions has already been asked. Here it goes, I am Navy HPSP recepient and thinking about making it my carrier. So

2. I am thinking about either General Surgery or GI, so the next question is whethre Navy GI fellowship is as competetive as outside?

Thank you.

Guaranteed GMO...maybe 2...

fellowship? Can't tell....changes from year to year..

don't do it....you WILL regret it...

search and read my posts from dec 2003 forward.

Dreamer said:

Thank you.

As a general surg resident in the Navy you wont get anywhere near the level of training that one recieves at a University program. More akin to a community program. That being said you would have to do your navy internship in gensurg then time as a gmo then re-apply to finish your residency.

Not hard to get a gen surg internship. Then its all about how you perform as an intern and of course absite scores. If they want you they will tell you when you are heading out the door to GMO land what year you can expect to come back.

Cant answer the GI fellowship part.

usnavdoc said:
As a general surg resident in the Navy you wont get anywhere near the level of training that one recieves at a University program. More akin to a community program. That being said you would have to do your navy internship in gensurg then time as a gmo then re-apply to finish your residency.

Not hard to get a gen surg internship. Then its all about how you perform as an intern and of course absite scores. If they want you they will tell you when you are heading out the door to GMO land what year you can expect to come back.

Cant answer the GI fellowship part.

From what I understand GI did not fill navy last year, not this past board.