Navy Portsmouth & Bethesda Ortho/Surg Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Globus P

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the differences between the Navy general surgery and ortho residency training programs at Portsmouth and Bethesda?

One place better training than the other?
One place more malignant than the other?
One place have more BS than the other (I expect the answer be Bethesda d/t all the politicians).

Any insight (other than the negative tripe by several frequent posters) would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent 4 years a Bethesda.

I spent 5 years a NMCP.

I'm an anesthesiologist....I work with the ortho guys everyday.

Do you want to hear my tripe?

militarymd said:
I spent 4 years a Bethesda.

I spent 5 years a NMCP.

I'm an anesthesiologist....I work with the ortho guys everyday.

Do you want to hear my tripe?

Sure, I'm interested in what you have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
At both programs, your case numbers will be significantly lower than your civilian counterparts while spending a fair number of hours in the OR.

I think clinic is more torturous at NMCP....HUGE young active duty patient population that needs to be seen....with a fair number of non-operative cases being referred from the GMO's and what not.

Total Joint numbers will be low....and SLOW in the ORs.

At NMCP...a 2 Total knee day is an all day affair that tortures ALL involved...the resident, the OR circulator, and the anesthesia team....

Bethesda....is now combined with the ARmy...lots of polictics....not the big caseload of sports medicine like NMCP...

I would recommend NMCP if you had to choose..

Go civilian deferement if you can.

militarymd said:
At both programs, your case numbers will be significantly lower than your civilian counterparts while spending a fair number of hours in the OR.

I think clinic is more torturous at NMCP....HUGE young active duty patient population that needs to be seen....with a fair number of non-operative cases being referred from the GMO's and what not.

Total Joint numbers will be low....and SLOW in the ORs.

At NMCP...a 2 Total knee day is an all day affair that tortures ALL involved...the resident, the OR circulator, and the anesthesia team....

Bethesda....is now combined with the ARmy...lots of polictics....not the big caseload of sports medicine like NMCP...

I would recommend NMCP if you had to choose..

Go civilian deferement if you can.

Thank you very much, that was what I was looking for.