Navy Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmkelchn

patagomate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm interested in doing the HPSP through the Navy, as they give 100% tuition, $2000 a month, and buy any necessary supplies in exchange for four years payback in the Navy as a podiatrist. Has anyone completed this program or is anyone in this program currently. It seems like a pretty good deal, whether you are a DPM, MD/DO, optometrist, etc. Furthermore, do you know of anyone practicing in the NAVY currently?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I'm interested in doing the HPSP through the Navy, as they give 100% tuition, $2000 a month, and buy any necessary supplies in exchange for four years payback in the Navy as a podiatrist. Has anyone completed this program or is anyone in this program currently. It seems like a pretty good deal, whether you are a DPM, MD/DO, optometrist, etc. Furthermore, do you know of anyone practicing in the NAVY currently?
Thanks!

I'm not interested in a Navy career but I do know 4 podiatrists who are currently practicing in the Navy. They are among the most intelligent doctors i've encountered, they love what they do, and despite what the other thread says, they do tons of surgeries...especially ankle scopes and ligament repairs due to the age group of people on active duty and the nature of military. A good place to be if you don't mind relocating every 3 or 4 years and enjoy sports medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there - I did extensive research on this but for DO/MD program. The biggest pitfall that I found was that a smaller number of medical students match into a residency program and often have to spend a year or two "sitting out" being a health officer until they match into a military residency. I think the stat was something like around 70% of military medical students match compared to more than 90 something % of regular medical students. And apparently its not easy to for a military medical student to request to participate in the regular match. That was the biggest turn off in my opinion. There is another program where they pay you a salary on top of your residency salary sounded more appealing (I cannot recall the name of that program). In this case you would join the military during residency and paid for your own school with loans before that of course. I remember the salary on top of the residency being generous and you could always pay back your loans with that. Not sure if these are the same issues for podiatry, but hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
For podiatry you do a civilian residency. There are no navy residencies for podiatry. I think the army only has 2, one in North Carolina and the other in Washington. HSCP is the one where they give you a salary on top of your resident salary while you are in your chosen residency. I am not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can do a General Medical Officer tour with podiatry since our scope of practice is just the foot and ankle.

For podiatry you do a civilian residency. There are no navy residencies for podiatry. I think the army only has 2, one in North Carolina and the other in Washington. HSCP is the one where they give you a salary on top of your resident salary while you are in your chosen residency. I am not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can do a General Medical Officer tour with podiatry since our scope of practice is just the foot and ankle.

Thanks for the clarification!! Glad its different for Podiatry!

Thanks for the info! So I understand its 100% tuition, $2000 a month during school, but an additional salary on top of residency pay?! I didn't know that...any idea what type of salary Navy Podiatrist make in the Navy itself...I know it's lower but I feel as if the benefits far exceed the lower salary

Just for clarification, I don't think the residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Washington is like the residency at Fort Bragg, NC in the sense that there is no military commitment with Madigan while there is with Fort Bragg. I think that at Madigan, even though it is at an Army hospital, you are not actually "in the Army." Just my understanding, and if anyone knows differently, please correct me.

The additional salary on top of residency is only if you do the HSCP program, which comes with a 3 year service obligation. I was told that you can do the HPSP as well as HSCP program so you would owe 7 years, but that seems to be more if you want to make it a career in the navy. I know the NC residency comes with an army commitment. I think you are right about the Washington one being different but I am not sure.

I've been reading this thread with some interest. My response to this thread are based on 36 years of practice and training of residents, and are mine alone. As of today Podiatrists are classified as members of the Medical Service Corp. rather than the Medical Corp as are the MD/DO's. This has several serious implications. First of all as a Podiatrist you are lumped together with Optometrists, xray techs, and other lab and allied medical professionals. You will advance in rank much slower which will affect your income. If you are to be sent in harms way you as a pod. will have to go for 12 months while a physician will only be obligated for 3 months. Oh and forget about sign up bonuses or re-up bonuses given to the MD/DO's. The list goes on but you get the picture. The situation is only slightly better in the VA, but that is a topic for another thread. That all said I believe that a medical career in the military should be a viable option for a podiatrist, but until they change our status they should be denied our services and training. Then and only then will they have or feel the need to make the necessary changes. It sucks to be treated as a second class citizen. Again this has been just my experienced opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

VAfootdoc: How's the VA system better than the military system? Can you tell us more why Pods are not treated same as MD/DO and are categorized under lab techs? Aren't we residency trained physicians? I am confused!

ldsrmdude is right. Madigan is an army hospital but the residency is open to anyone and does not require any military commitment post-residency. Madigan and ft. Lewis have merged to some extent and as far as military bases/hospital they are quite impressive.

I've been reading this thread with some interest. My response to this thread are based on 36 years of practice and training of residents, and are mine alone. As of today Podiatrists are classified as members of the Medical Service Corp. rather than the Medical Corp as are the MD/DO's. This has several serious implications. First of all as a Podiatrist you are lumped together with Optometrists, xray techs, and other lab and allied medical professionals. You will advance in rank much slower which will affect your income. If you are to be sent in harms way you as a pod. will have to go for 12 months while a physician will only be obligated for 3 months. Oh and forget about sign up bonuses or re-up bonuses given to the MD/DO's. The list goes on but you get the picture. The situation is only slightly better in the VA, but that is a topic for another thread. That all said I believe that a medical career in the military should be a viable option for a podiatrist, but until they change our status they should be denied our services and training. Then and only then will they have or feel the need to make the necessary changes. It sucks to be treated as a second class citizen. Again this has been just my experienced opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

I have been in practice for over 20 years. About 5 years ago a Navy recruiter stopped by to try to recruit our residents for the program mentioned above. BTW for the right resident it is not a bad deal. While there he mentioned they were looking for some senior doctors. I said the Air Force tried to get me at age 42 then slowly reniged on all of their promises such as advanced rank and guaranteed retirement (since I was entering late). He assured me the Navy was different. He said my age was not a problem , I said I wanted to enter as an O-6 (one rank below admiral) because of my credentials and experience. NO problem he said and then he mentioned I would qualify for a signing bonus of 100,000 dollars. I said to make it happen. A week goes by and he says you have the rank, your age is fine, but............. no signing bonuses since Podiatry was considered non-essential. I said really? He said yes and that he did have something for me. He handed me a GO Navy coffee travel mug. I smiled and to this day take it to work as a reminder of ego aside how we are treated from time to time.

Last edited:
The short answer to your question is that the pay is better, and you are not subject to military rules. They can't force you to move every 3 years etc. You deserve a more complete answer than I have time to compose. To that end if you will indulge me I will take a few days to gather my thoughts and start a new thread I'll call "The VA as I know it" How's that? Like the military it could be a great career but not now for a young Pod. The last 7 years that I have been with the VA have been the most fulfilling of my career. But remember at my age I'm looking down from the top of the mountain not up from the bottom. ...........More when I organize myself.

My understanding of the current Navy HPSP for Podiatry is that they will pay for 3 years of school plus living expenses ($2k per month), books, and self health insurance as required by the school. In exchange you are required to pay back 3 years active duty plus 5 years of Inactive Ready Reserve. If a recruiter promises otherwise I'd blame the recruiter, not podiatry discrimination. I have never heard of the 3 months service at war vs. 12 months if in Medical Service Corps, but this may be indeed true. It is true that Podiatrists don't get signing bonuses and will be paid less than Doctors. However, there is less repayment (3 years vs 4 years) and there is a much lesser chance that podiatrists will have to extend their repayment time due to completing a military residency - I believe that most MDs and DOs end up owing considerably more than 4 years of active duty upon completion of a military residency. Financially, there is a lot to be said as a Podiatrist to come out of school with only 1 of 4 years of debt. Plus when you consider the tax benefits of the deal, you often will come out ahead financially by doing the Navy HPSP and serving 3 years compared to coming out of private podiatry school with a full debt load, then face repayment with interest with after tax dollars working for someone. But the most important thing is do you want to be a member of the Navy, aside from the finances. Yes, I agree that it would be better if Podiatry received the 20k sign on bonus and other benefits that MDs and DOs get, but Podiatry has made considerable progress, particularly when the Navy opened up the HPSP to podiatry for the first time just a couple of years ago. If you are considering doing the program, I'd caution two things, 1. Most medical recruiters probably haven't had a lot of experience with the Navy HPSP for podiatry. 2. Get the application process going early, you want it to be complete before the beginning of the second year of pod school.

The short answer to your question is that the pay is better, and you are not subject to military rules. They can't force you to move every 3 years etc. You deserve a more complete answer than I have time to compose. To that end if you will indulge me I will take a few days to gather my thoughts and start a new thread I'll call "The VA as I know it" How's that? Like the military it could be a great career but not now for a young Pod. The last 7 years that I have been with the VA have been the most fulfilling of my career. But remember at my age I'm looking down from the top of the mountain not up from the bottom. ...........More when I organize myself.

I would be very interested to see this thread from you, please post!

I looked into the program last year as I was applying to podiatry school. However, there are VERY few openings in the program, and the Navy is the only division of the military that will cover costs during school. There was one opening for all the first year podiatry students, and it was gone in early september to a very deserving guy, so if you haven't looked in depth into the program yet, it's probably too late for this year. On another note, there are several army residency programs that pay well, and will give around 80,000 to help pay off loans from school, but there is an additional 4 year committment, and you have to serve in the reserves after that as well. As long as you explore your options and look into what is available, then you can really make good decisions for yourself!

My understanding of the current Navy HPSP for Podiatry is that they will pay for 3 years of school plus living expenses ($2k per month), books, and self health insurance as required by the school. In exchange you are required to pay back 3 years active duty plus 5 years of Inactive Ready Reserve. If a recruiter promises otherwise I'd blame the recruiter, not podiatry discrimination. I have never heard of the 3 months service at war vs. 12 months if in Medical Service Corps, but this may be indeed true. It is true that Podiatrists don't get signing bonuses and will be paid less than Doctors. However, there is less repayment (3 years vs 4 years) and there is a much lesser chance that podiatrists will have to extend their repayment time due to completing a military residency - I believe that most MDs and DOs end up owing considerably more than 4 years of active duty upon completion of a military residency. Financially, there is a lot to be said as a Podiatrist to come out of school with only 1 of 4 years of debt. Plus when you consider the tax benefits of the deal, you often will come out ahead financially by doing the Navy HPSP and serving 3 years compared to coming out of private podiatry school with a full debt load, then face repayment with interest with after tax dollars working for someone. But the most important thing is do you want to be a member of the Navy, aside from the finances. Yes, I agree that it would be better if Podiatry received the 20k sign on bonus and other benefits that MDs and DOs get, but Podiatry has made considerable progress, particularly when the Navy opened up the HPSP to podiatry for the first time just a couple of years ago. If you are considering doing the program, I'd caution two things, 1. Most medical recruiters probably haven't had a lot of experience with the Navy HPSP for podiatry. 2. Get the application process going early, you want it to be complete before the beginning of the second year of pod school.

There is not advantage. That isn't any different from MD/DO. They only pay you for 3 years if school so you are obligated to serve 3 years. This option is actually open to MD/DO also, basically how many years u get the award is how many years u have to serve so POD does NOT have an advantage over MD/DO.

How much will you make and what rank would you be when you join the military as a podiatrist?

There is not advantage. That isn't any different from MD/DO. They only pay you for 3 years if school so you are obligated to serve 3 years. This option is actually open to MD/DO also, basically how many years u get the award is how many years u have to serve so POD does NOT have an advantage over MD/DO.

True, MD/DO has the option of doing a civilian residency, but you didn't mention how often this happens, which isn't often. Most of the MD/DO students do military residencies and have to pay back more time for this. Not the case for DPM's.