Navy ODS Tips and Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard yoy can buy used military uniforms that are in good condition for a lot less than new. Is it possible to do this for the uniforms required at ODS?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, do we get reimbursed for meals while traveling to/from ODS?

It depends on where you are going after ODS and what is the report date, but you will have to take leave if you decide to not travel directly to your duty station.

If you can buy uniforms before going and want to get some used ones, more power to you. You can't do it at ODS though cause its an assembly line type process. You probably won't be able to find it all used so you would have to buy things there still. It would require a lot of organization of what you have, and what you need to buy when you get there. They will not help you figure that out so it's going to be on you to make sure you get all the pieces.

For travel, you get a flat perdiem on the day you travel, so in a way I guess they pay for your meals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if someone could give me a walk through of the medical/dental day. What day do you have to do it? Do they take your BP/pulse, do a full physical and dental check up. Thanks for your time!

Just wondering if someone could give me a walk through of the medical/dental day. What day do you have to do it? Do they take your BP/pulse, do a full physical and dental check up. Thanks for your time!

Sure!

There isn't really a physical, because you should have already done that to get commissioned. It's more like they just periodically check to make sure that the next training evolution won't kill you.

The first Monday you will fill out a ton of medical and dental paperwork. Any issues that pop-up on your paperwork, will be discussed with a Corpsman or nurse. You will do the same thing before any high-risk training evolution... Fill out the paperwork and discuss any issues with the medical staff.

There is also 2 urine HCG test for females, one the first week and one later in training.

Everyone also has to take a urine drug screen -- get ready to pee for your country, in front of a Chief or an officer.

That really covers all the medical stuff.

There is a half day the second week that is spent at the dental clinic. Pretty much you get a BP check (dunno why a dentist needs your BP), X-rays, panoramic X-ray, and a full dental exam by a navy dentist.

Can anyone recently out of ODS give an idea of what absolutely MUST be memorized before heading there? Thanks!

Can anyone recently out of ODS give an idea of what absolutely MUST be memorized before heading there? Thanks!

The first time we were ever asked to recite any of the info. was on Monday of the second week.

My recommendations:

Be sure to listen to the Marine Hymn and Anchors Aweigh at least once... There were people in my class who had no idea what the melody for the songs were.

Memorize the Sailors Creed and The mission of the Navy for sure.

If you get that down move on to the Navy and Marine Corps ranks... People had a lot of trouble with those.

If you get that, try the General Orders and Articles of the Code of Conduct.

If you get those try the 15 leadership traits.

The most important thing to remember is this... Don't worry to much about it. Not having memorized when you show up is not the end of the world. No one in my class had it all memorized when they got there. In fact, more than half showed up with almost none of it memorized.

The first time we were ever asked to recite any of the info. was on Monday of the second week.

My recommendations:

Be sure to listen to the Marine Hymn and Anchors Aweigh at least once... There were people in my class who had no idea what the melody for the songs were.

Memorize the Sailors Creed and The mission of the Navy for sure.

If you get that down move on to the Navy and Marine Corps ranks... People had a lot of trouble with those.

If you get that, try the General Orders and Articles of the Code of Conduct.

If you get those try the 15 leadership traits.

The most important thing to remember is this... Don't worry to much about it. Not having memorized when you show up is not the end of the world. No one in my class had it all memorized when they got there. In fact, more than half showed up with almost none of it memorized.

Everyone is issued a gouge book that has all of the required knowledge in it. You're required to carry this around with you, and whenever you're just standing around, which is a lot in the first two weeks, everyone is pulling it out and reading it. Most nights you have an evening muster which is ended by reciting the sailor's creed and singing both service songs, so you can get those memorized fairly easily.

The second week inspection is on your khaki uniform, and it's designed to get everyone to pass and not look bad in uniform. There were only a couple of knowledge questions. The third week inspection is more intense. They ask you 4-6 knowledge questions, and you might be required to sing a verse of one of the songs. In the end, though, everyone passes. They will retest you on uniforms and knowledge if you fail, but nearly everyone passes the first time.

A few thoughts and good gouge for those that aren't priors:

Attitude plays a really big role in ODS. It's going to be hot, you're going to have to stand around a lot, you're going to get about 6 hours of sleep each night, there's not going to be A/C where you're sleeping, there's not going to be coffee for the first 2-3 weeks. A lot of the amenities that you have a normal basis are taken away. You have to deal with it and adapt or you are going to be miserable.

Make sure you buy, find, or bring a really good fan. These are critical to sleeping at night in the summer. Buy or bring bandaids/moleskin. You're going to get blisters from standing and marching, especially in the black dress shoes and black combat boots. If you're a big coffee drinker, either get off of it the week before or bring 5 hour energy and keep it in your locker. It'll be authorized by week 3 or so, but it's really hard to stay awake in class, especially with all of the powerpoints on admin. Get used to sweating, all the time. The khaki uniform is wool/poly. The NWU is a little heavy. You'll drink more water throughout the day, than you've probably ever done.

During PT in the morning make sure you pay attention to all of the little details like how your hands are placed. It seems ridiculous, but the chiefs will constantly yell at you if you don't, and no one likes yelling and RPT at 0500.

Expect to pay for every meal you eat. There's no such thing as a free lunch for officers. You'll need a lot of cash, but you'll have the opportunity to withdraw from the ATM or cash-back at the NEX.

That's all for now, I'll probably think of a few things later.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a question for those of y'all that did ODS this past summer, and for those of you that remember from prior years. What is the farthest single distance you had to run, and at about what pace? I'm scheduled for ODS next summer, and I've recently been hit by an injury bug. I can run fast enough to pass the PRT without any problems, but when I start hitting ~2-2.5 miles, my injury starts coming back. So I'm trying to work out a training schedule to ensure I'll be able to both handle the PT as well as remain injury free leading up, and at, ODS.

And if any of you are orthopods, sports med, or PTs, and care to offer any advice, please PM me.

Thanks

The prt is a mile and 1/2 unless they changed it. Get good running shoes. I ran all over that base as they wouldn't let me out the gait for a couple of weeks.

I got a question for those of y'all that did ODS this past summer, and for those of you that remember from prior years. What is the farthest single distance you had to run, and at about what pace? I'm scheduled for ODS next summer, and I've recently been hit by an injury bug. I can run fast enough to pass the PRT without any problems, but when I start hitting ~2-2.5 miles, my injury starts coming back. So I'm trying to work out a training schedule to ensure I'll be able to both handle the PT as well as remain injury free leading up, and at, ODS.

And if any of you are orthopods, sports med, or PTs, and care to offer any advice, please PM me.

Thanks

Did ODS this past May. There were a few days where we did cadence runs/group runs, but we only did about 1.5 miles.

There were a number of days where we did laps at your own pace around the track for about 20-25 min, which for me meant doing close to 3 miles.

Even though the distance doesn't usually get above 2.5 miles, you should still be prepared. The first few weeks you'll get RPTd (extra PT) all the time, and practice marching for at least a few hours a day.

In the end, don't worry too much about it, the Chiefs act mean and scary but they don't want to see you get hurt.

Hi everyone...I have two questions. I am currently an RN (I know this thread is for the Student Doctor Network but since my question pertains to ODS I figured it wouldn't matter) and looking into joining the Navy. I have read all seven pages of this thread and didn't see my question addressed so here it is: due to the fact that my husband is active duty Air Force (enlisted), how feasible is it to be stationed near each other? I know they would try their best, but off the top of my head I can't think of any Naval/Marine Corps bases that are also close to an Air Force base.

Now to my second question...and this is probably the strangest one yet. Back in 2006, I had a car accident and broke my right fibula which was corrected with a titanium rod and six screws (thankfully this doesn't effect my running but I'm sure I'll need a waiver for it). Among the other injuries, is a wide scar covering my left tibia (right over my shin), the scar is about 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide-and just about paper thin and is still EXTREMELY sensitive to this day. Hitting it on accident (like from crossing my legs under a table and accidently hitting a small ledge underneath the table) is enough to bring me to tears and make me want to pass out :/ Nothing from the PRT would hurt it but I was wondering if there was anything else that might possibly hit it...the more I look at what I'm writing, the dumber it looks. I guess it's hard to explain. I'm just worried about something hitting it, it splitting open, then I get osteomyelitis (well that escalated quickly!). I'll just be the person there wearing one shin guard haha :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone...I have two questions. I am currently an RN (I know this thread is for the Student Doctor Network but since my question pertains to ODS I figured it wouldn't matter) and looking into joining the Navy. I have read all seven pages of this thread and didn't see my question addressed so here it is: due to the fact that my husband is active duty Air Force (enlisted), how feasible is it to be stationed near each other? I know they would try their best, but off the top of my head I can't think of any Naval/Marine Corps bases that are also close to an Air Force base.

Now to my second question...and this is probably the strangest one yet. Back in 2006, I had a car accident and broke my right fibula which was corrected with a titanium rod and six screws (thankfully this doesn't effect my running but I'm sure I'll need a waiver for it). Among the other injuries, is a wide scar covering my left tibia (right over my shin), the scar is about 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide-and just about paper thin and is still EXTREMELY sensitive to this day. Hitting it on accident (like from crossing my legs under a table and accidently hitting a small ledge underneath the table) is enough to bring me to tears and make me want to pass out :/ Nothing from the PRT would hurt it but I was wondering if there was anything else that might possibly hit it...the more I look at what I'm writing, the dumber it looks. I guess it's hard to explain. I'm just worried about something hitting it, it splitting open, then I get osteomyelitis (well that escalated quickly!). I'll just be the person there wearing one shin guard haha :)

I spoke to an Air Force recruiter first and they told me that I wasn't eligible to join the Air Force if I had an active duty husband and a child. I'm not sure why that's a policy with the Air Force but not with the Navy.

You might need a waiver for the leg, but rules change.

Hi everyone...I have two questions. how feasible is it to be stationed near each other? I know they would try their best, but off the top of my head I can't think of any Naval/Marine Corps bases that are also close to an Air Force base.

Eastern coastal North Carolina, western Florida panhandle, northeastern coastal Florida, Washington, D.C. and tidewater Virginia have Air Force bases in reasonable proximity to Navy facilities, but expecting a co-location between separate services at each turn of orders is unrealistic. You would be lucky to get that once.

Orders for the May 11th ODS, anyone else going this summer?

SAP76 you're going in August? It seems like you're starting your intern year right after it finishes? Is your residency program ok with you starting a little late?

Last edited:
Orders for the May 11th ODS, anyone else going this summer?

SAP76 you're going in August? It seems like you're starting your intern year right after it finishes? Is your residency program ok with you starting a little late?
Fixed that for you. You do not want to go to OCS, as you'll see in may. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I start my internship year right after ODS, which is the way it is scheduled by my program. It should make moving across the US interesting!

Sounds like you're in for an adventure SAP. Good luck TLAD and thanks for the fix bulldog.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of start dates for ODS?

So, I heard the Navy doesn't give us a return ticket from ODS and that we have to figure that out on our own. Is that correct? If that's the case, how soon after graduation can we leave, and how long before they kick us out for the next class?

Thanks

So, I heard the Navy doesn't give us a return ticket from ODS and that we have to figure that out on our own. Is that correct? If that's the case, how soon after graduation can we leave, and how long before they kick us out for the next class?

Thanks

I got my travel info and the return flight is included.

Thanks
Incorrect. You should get a return ticket. After graduation, you pack up and leave that afternoon. The next class is coming in a couple of days after you.

How does ODS handle prescriptions? If you just bring the bottle is that adequate, or do they enforce that you bring copies of prescriptions? Thanks for any replies.

How does ODS handle prescriptions? If you just bring the bottle is that adequate, or do they enforce that you bring copies of prescriptions? Thanks for any replies.
Do you need to get them filled while at ODS? I took advil and alieve while I was there, and no one cared. Just keep them in your room locker. As long as you keep the lock locked on the door, they can't and won't open it or make you open it.

Quick Question -

So I got my travel info and I'll be getting to Newport at like 9pm the night before orders begin. Will I have time that night or the next day or two to buy some of the bulky stuff they ask us to bring or should I pack heavy?

Thanks

Quick Question -

So I got my travel info and I'll be getting to Newport at like 9pm the night before orders begin. Will I have time that night or the next day or two to buy some of the bulky stuff they ask us to bring or should I pack heavy?

Thanks
You'll definitely have time to buy stuff. They'll give you the first weekend to get oriented and settled in. The real deal doesn't start until Monday, 0345.;)

Quick Question -

Thanks

You could literally go with just the clothes on your back (and some money) and you'd be fine. Lots of the cleaning supplies you don't need to buy because the storage room is FULL of stuff left behind from ODS classes dating back to probably the 80's. Anything you need that isn't in the storage room you can buy when you get there at the NEX. Just be sure to bring your CAC card/reserve ID or a copy do your orders to prove you are authorized to shop there.

You could literally go with just the clothes on your back (and some money) and you'd be fine. Lots of the cleaning supplies you don't need to buy because the storage room is FULL of stuff left behind from ODS classes dating back to probably the 80's. Anything you need that isn't in the storage room you can buy when you get there at the NEX. Just be sure to bring your CAC card/reserve ID or a copy do your orders to prove you are authorized to shop there.

Good to know, I appreciate the info.

Yeah, everything mentioned would be fine. I would say that you would want to bring a few books or something to occupy your time. During the last week, you'll have a ton of downtime. I brought my computer and played a computer game. ;)

Yeah, everything mentioned would be fine. I would say that you would want to bring a few books or something to occupy your time. During the last week, you'll have a ton of downtime. I brought my computer and played a computer game. ;)

With all that time, would it be possible to bring a bike and go ride around the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all that time, would it be possible to bring a bike and go ride around the area?

Unless you bring a car and can keep it in your car, I would say no. There's no place to keep it in King Hall.

Unless you bring a car and can keep it in your car, I would say no. There's no place to keep it in King Hall.
I might keep it in my car. What is the parking situation like? Is it safe?

I might keep it in my car. What is the parking situation like? Is it safe?

I didn't bring my car, but there is parking. It's a good 10 minute walk from King Hall. It's safe. You'll make a lot of friends if you do bring your car. ;)

Is there any time/way to go to the gym on base? What's internet access like? Leaving in 10 days and I'm wondering logistically if it will be an issue to get online to pay bills etc.

Is there any time/way to go to the gym on base? What's internet access like? Leaving in 10 days and I'm wondering logistically if it will be an issue to get online to pay bills etc.
You'll be able to go to the gym after the first or second week, I think. You won't be able to use the internet for a few weeks, so you might want to automate your bill payments. If you can do it through a smart phone, that's another option.

Hi all!

Thanks for all the great info on the thread! I am prior enlisted and leave for ODS this weekend. I haven't seen anything regarding duty sections/standing watches? I can't imagine that isn't a part of the training up there! What kind of watches do you stand? Is it an all day thing like CDO or 4 hour watches around the clock?

Also, do you have any recommendations for choosing a collateral duty? As far as class leader, do they stick with one the whole time, or do they "volun-tell" others to take a turn?

Thanks for any insight!
KM

Hi all!

Thanks for all the great info on the thread! I am prior enlisted and leave for ODS this weekend. I haven't seen anything regarding duty sections/standing watches? I can't imagine that isn't a part of the training up there! What kind of watches do you stand? Is it an all day thing like CDO or 4 hour watches around the clock?

Also, do you have any recommendations for choosing a collateral duty? As far as class leader, do they stick with one the whole time, or do they "volun-tell" others to take a turn?

Thanks for any insight!
KM
I think we started standing the watch sometime in the second week. Four hour watches through the night and weekends. Not during the day though because there was classes and stuff to go to. As far as collateral duty goes, uniformity officer did almost nothing. Don't be the drill body unless you know how to drill. DIVO and ADIVO were volun-told in our class. They were two priors. They're pretty sucky jobs.

I think we started standing the watch sometime in the second week. Four hour watches through the night and weekends. Not during the day though because there was classes and stuff to go to. As far as collateral duty goes, uniformity officer did almost nothing. Don't be the drill body unless you know how to drill. DIVO and ADIVO were volun-told in our class. They were two priors. They're pretty sucky jobs.
Thanks, I figured that about DIVO and ADIVO. I am a small female and I look quiet so I am always voluntold to be upfront and in charge, I was hoping this would be different but I would put money on getting picked... oh well, you just roll with the punches! :)

is there any dress code for off base liberty, i.e. collared shirt, belts? Or am I just stuck on the ship?!

Thanks, I figured that about DIVO and ADIVO. I am a small female and I look quiet so I am always voluntold to be upfront and in charge, I was hoping this would be different but I would put money on getting picked... oh well, you just roll with the punches! :)

is there any dress code for off base liberty, i.e. collared shirt, belts? Or am I just stuck on the ship?!
I think at one of the first meetings, they asked all of the priors to stand up, so unless you really don't want anyone to know you're a prior, everyone will find out pretty quick.

We didn't get off base liberty until the third weekend I think. Every time we were off base, we had to be in uniform.

I think at one of the first meetings, they asked all of the priors to stand up, so unless you really don't want anyone to know you're a prior, everyone will find out pretty quick.

We didn't get off base liberty until the third weekend I think. Every time we were off base, we had to be in uniform.
Appreciate the info!

Appreciate the info!
No problem! When are you going? I went last year in July, and it was super hot. King hall has no A/C, so everyone had to have a fan. Make sure you get one early from the storage closet, or you may have to spend some money at the NEX on one.

When you went to ODS, do you remember seeing anyone wearing knee braces? I wear those neoprene knee sleeves when I run and now i'm just used to it. I wonder if they'll have a problem with me wearing those.... Do you think that wearing these would pose an issue?