Navy MC and JPME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyCy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I left the operational fleet our squadron chaplain was in the process of completing JPME Phase 1 because he had been informed by his community that JPME was going to be required for promotion in the Restricted Line the same way it is in the URL. Has anyone in the Navy Medical Corps heard any rumors like this? If so, I'll get busy and knock it out while I'm twiddling my thumbs on shore duty, but if not, I've got more interesting things to read than Clausewitz. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

When I left the operational fleet our squadron chaplain was in the process of completing JPME Phase 1 because he had been informed by his community that JPME was going to be required for promotion in the Restricted Line the same way it is in the URL. Has anyone in the Navy Medical Corps heard any rumors like this? If so, I'll get busy and knock it out while I'm twiddling my thumbs on shore duty, but if not, I've got more interesting things to read than Clausewitz. Thanks for the help.

Sorry, what is JPME? Which I suppose is telling. I managed to make O5 without it. (I think) And will likely make O6 without it.

Roger Sir, sorry for the acronym. JPME is Joint Professional Military Education. As of last year it is required for Unrestricted Line Officers to be promoted to O-5. It is also a requirement to serve a Joint tour, which is very helpful to career progression. You can earn credit a bunch of ways including distance learning with CDs to any of the War Colleges. I thought it sounded a little bit strange to require doctors to read a bunch of war theory, but I've been around long enough not to dismiss rumors just because they sound strange.

Your response is very helpful. I just wanted to ask the question before I dismiss the idea because I have the time right now to knock out the distance learning if it would be beneficial. Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious if NavyFP's response back in 2009, still holds true today with regards to JPME.

Still true so I wouldn't bother; the Joint Maritime Operations final project alone will eat up all your free time for several months if you have classmates who choose not to participate.

It's not needed; if you read numerous instructions on JPME, communities like the MC are are even permitted a waiver of JPME requirements should they reach flag rank.

There are many CDR and CAPT MC Officers who have never completed JPME Phase I. I would suspect it's more beneficial career-wise if you're an MSC or NC Officer, or most any Staff Corps, but not physicians. I spent 18 months completing it, and was told by my detailer it had no bearing on promotion , at least to O-6 as far as they knew. It has zero impact on the GME selection board as well.

In-zone promotion rates to O-5 and O-6 are plummetting from a few years ago. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the FY14 numbers to O5 in the MC were something like 60% in zone, 20% above the zone for an overall rate around 80%. I've been told the three essential checks in the box for O-5 (at least for Navy) are board certification/eligibility, JPME 1, and AMDOC. (The latter is a two week course at Bethesda. Scheduled irregularly, I'm told.)

In-zone promotion rates to O-5 and O-6 are plummetting from a few years ago. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the FY14 numbers to O5 in the MC were something like 60% in zone, 20% above the zone for an overall rate around 80%. I've been told the three essential checks in the box for O-5 (at least for Navy) are board certification/eligibility, JPME 1, and AMDOC. (The latter is a two week course at Bethesda. Scheduled irregularly, I'm told.)

I was hoping that wasn't the new must have check box.

Thank you everyone for prompt response.

Within my department all in zone for O5 and O6 were selected. None of them have JPME and maybe one of them has AMDOC, but I'm not even certain on that one.

I think those items will definitely help, especially AMDOC these days, but I don't think they have yet become the necessary evil they are on the line side or even within other staff corps groups.

Reactions: 1 user
Within my department all in zone for O5 and O6 were selected. None of them have JPME and maybe one of them has AMDOC, but I'm not even certain on that one.

I think those items will definitely help, especially AMDOC these days, but I don't think they have yet become the necessary evil they are on the line side or even within other staff corps groups.

Good to know! FWIW, it is a pain in the arse, but most folks could knock this out during their GMO tour. If you are in a "C-coded" billet, you can do the CD-Rom program and skip all the seminar BS. Well, guess I just gave away my secret! :shrug:

I am wondering if there have been any changes in the last five years? Is the medical corps beginning to weigh/require JPME1 completion more in promotions?

I'll be transferring from unrestricted line (O-4) to dental corps (selres) and wondering if I should begin JPME1 since I'll have some free time the next 9 months. From previous posts it sounds like a waste of time for making O-5.

Google FY-20 Medical Corps Leadership Courses. Not sure about dental corps, but Medical Corps has JPME1 far down list. All of these are recommended, but certainly not required.

1568170551258.png

Google FY-20 Medical Corps Leadership Courses. Not sure about dental corps, but Medical Corps has JPME1 far down list. All of these are recommended, but certainly not required.

View attachment 279646

I don’t think this list is any particular order of importance.

The promotion board convening order is the place to look for what they potentially consider “important”.

The FY20 board for O5 staff included the following verbiage: “The Board shall give favorable consideration to...Navy and Joint Professional Military Education”

Now, my personal opinion is that I don’t think the lack of JPME is going to be the thing that keeps someone from being promoted; however, I didn’t want to take any chances so I did it. If you really want to cross every T and dot every I and are bored then go for it, but the vast majority of those at the Board will not have it.

Navy FP is the only one I actually know around here. Looks like he is gone.