Navy HPSP recruiter jerking me around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YapYap6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. This is also posted in the pre-pharmacy forum, but it seems like people on this forum have more experience. I'll request a moderator close the other one.

icon1.gif
Navy HPSP recruiter jerking me around?
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

Anyhow, I've been in contact with a NAVY HPSP recruiter since March. I sent her my application in the first week of April and for the last 3 weeks, she's been telling me "I'll call you tomorrow and verify your physical for next Tuesday. We'll also get your finger printing session done.". As you probably guessed by now, she NEVER fulfills her promise and leaves me guessing as to when she'll call.

Am I being impatient? It's been about a month since she's received my packet and nothing has been happening other than empty promises. Anyone know if there are even scholarships left for pharmacy? Anyone currently applying and know if this is the norm?

Thanks all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

From personal experiences with friends, get ANYthing and EVERYthing they promise in writing or you can end up with something completely different.
They just tried to move my friend from being a mechanic to someone's bodyguard & he would have had no say if his superiors didn't make a stink about it.

I know exactly what you mean! I was previously enlisted and was waiting for confirmation of my job as a nuke tech to go through. I waited for 8 months and they finally said "Just ship out to basic as a sonar tech and have them change it to nuke tech later on". After that, I decided to go to college. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a "pharmacy in the military?" thread in the top two pages of this forum that might have some insight. Some people have noted problems in communication with Navy recruiters vs. AF and Army.

In all honesty, I'm beginning to think that the Navy isn't even offering a 4 year HPSP scholarship. I feel that my recruiter doesn't know what she is signing me up for, possibly a program that doesn't exist or is unavailable for pharmcy.

Does anyone have experience with a medical recruiter that they can put me in touch with to clarify all of this?

In reading your post, this is the FIRST TIME i have ever read or come across something like a "4 year scholarship" and I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks.

All of the scholarship programs I've come across re: navy involve entering as an enlisted during years 3 & 4 which starts the clock on your time owed, so you'd owe 4 years after graduation and completion of officer indoc. (1 tour + 1yr extension).

In reading your post, this is the FIRST TIME i have ever read or come across something like a "4 year scholarship" and I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks.

All of the scholarship programs I've come across re: navy involve entering as an enlisted during years 3 & 4 which starts the clock on your time owed, so you'd owe 4 years after graduation and completion of officer indoc. (1 tour + 1yr extension).

That's exactly what I came across as well during my research a few months ago. I called up my nearest medical recruiter to find out exactly what is available for pharmacy thinking they would have the right information. It turns out they don't know WTF they're talking about. I'm extremely mad right now at this recruiter.

That's exactly what I came across as well during my research a few months ago. I called up my nearest medical recruiter to find out exactly what is available for pharmacy thinking they would have the right information. It turns out they don't know WTF they're talking about. I'm extremely mad right now at this recruiter.

Never trust recruiters. Always assume the information is inaccurate, until confirmed. Not to demean any profession and recruiting is very important, but the way it is these days, there's a LOT of self-interest involved. Always verify and get back to them. You'd have better information speaking with actual pharmacists in these professions who have put in their time and are willing to speak with you. You'll probably get very candid and accurate information.

There is a military medicine forum here on SDN- mostly doctors, but many health professionals have pretty wide networking.