Navy HPSP & HSCP now offering scholarships and aid to Pods!! (unless its a typo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out from another friend of mine and coudnt wait to share this wonderfull news with you guys. i hope this true and its a not a typing mistake on their website.

GRADUATE STUDENTS
GET MONEY FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL
Covering the cost of graduate school can be challenging. Tuition. Books and supplies. Living expenses. But there is an easier way.

Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) — Receive 100% tuition assistance while completing an eligible podiatry education program plus a monthly stipend of $1,907 to help cover living expenses for up to 36 months.

Navy Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP) — Receive up to $185,000 while finishing your degree. This amount includes a generous monthly salary and housing allowance ranging from $2,940 to $5,150 for up to 36 months.*

Offers have many variables. To get details and find out which offer would benefit you most, request that a Navy Officer Recruiter contact you.

*Navy HSCP housing allowance based on graduate school location. Increased offer amounts available in areas with a higher cost of living.

here's the link. go checkout for yourself and plzz comment
http://www.navy.com/careers/healthc...icalcareproviders/podiatry/#graduate-students

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out from another friend of mine and coudnt wait to share this wonderfull news with you guys. i hope this true and its a not a typing mistake on their website.

GRADUATE STUDENTS
GET MONEY FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL
Covering the cost of graduate school can be challenging. Tuition. Books and supplies. Living expenses. But there is an easier way.

Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) — Receive 100% tuition assistance while completing an eligible podiatry education program plus a monthly stipend of $1,907 to help cover living expenses for up to 36 months.

Navy Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP) — Receive up to $185,000 while finishing your degree. This amount includes a generous monthly salary and housing allowance ranging from $2,940 to $5,150 for up to 36 months.*

Offers have many variables. To get details and find out which offer would benefit you most, request that a Navy Officer Recruiter contact you.

*Navy HSCP housing allowance based on graduate school location. Increased offer amounts available in areas with a higher cost of living.

here's the link. go checkout for yourself and plzz comment
http://www.navy.com/careers/healthc...icalcareproviders/podiatry/#graduate-students
A friend and I noticed that too. I think it popped up on another thread in the residents forum a few weeks ago. My friend is interested in the Navy and requested information on it, but last I heard, she had talked to 3 different recruiters and none of them knew anything about it. I guess because it is such a new thing, they weren't really aware of it. If anyone does get any info, please post it, there are probably several interested pod students!

oh yeah! this is a very good news. im very interested in Airforce HPSP. im already in 2nd year and signing up for HPSP might not be that benifitable in my case as i will be getting just 2yrs worth of aid (3rd and 4th yr) . but incoming pod students can take benifit of this great oppurtunity. $1900 stipend for next 4yrs, no loans on head. that is a very good offer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah! this is a very good news. im very interested in Airforce HPSP. im already in 2nd year and signing up for HPSP might not be that benifitable in my case as i will be getting just 2yrs worth of aid (3rd and 4th yr) . but incoming pod students can take benifit of this great oppurtunity. $1900 stipend for next 4yrs, no loans on head. that is a very good offer :)

Same situation here. 2 years back, I would have seriously considered this but still good news!!

Just be careful...I mean, you are right, it makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint but there are other factors to consider. I know that allo-HPSP require you go to one of the military hospital residencies (you can get out of it but from what i understood it is not easy). I don't know what they are doing as far as pod residencies go but you may be stuck in a two-year because thats all they have available.

Of course, you also have to remember that the navy is buying you with this scholarship. By paying for your school and living, they now own a Doctor who will provide care for a fraction of what he/she is worth. Ask how many years of service you have to provide in exchange for the scholarship.

Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before putting your name on the dotted line :laugh: or you'll have a stamp on your butt reading "Property of the US Military"

i totally agree.....i personally spoke to a recruiter and for every year that they give you money...you give them a year. The minimun is 3 years!!!!! In this 3 years they can and will send you where ever they want. More than likely it will be overseas in a military hosp where people are hurt aka war zone place. Another thing to remember is that when you sign on the dotted line you ARE soldier FIRST and doctor second, which means you are trained as a soldier so if they need you in the battle, you will take your scubs off and suit up and go fight. There is alot of things the military won't tell you because they are trying to recruit you, but do remember that they will OWN you for some years and the only branch that does pod school so far is navy... not airforce or army. And I have seen navy men get killed in the war as a military doctor. Just remember you are soldier first and doctor second.

PS. in case you thought you were safe.....the navy is branched with the marines....who are on the front line. SO THINK ABOUT HARD.

Just be careful...I mean, you are right, it makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint but there are other factors to consider. I know that allo-HPSP require you go to one of the military hospital residencies (you can get out of it but from what i understood it is not easy). I don't know what they are doing as far as pod residencies go but you may be stuck in a two-year because thats all they have available.

Of course, you also have to remember that the navy is buying you with this scholarship. By paying for your school and living, they now own a Doctor who will provide care for a fraction of what he/she is worth. Ask how many years of service you have to provide in exchange for the scholarship.

Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before putting your name on the dotted line :laugh: or you'll have a stamp on your butt reading "Property of the US Military"
Definately a good point. If you want to check out some of the pro's and con's of military medicine, check out the military medicine forum on here. There are always debates going on as to whether it is worth it or not. Of course, podiatry will be slightly different since I don't think that the Navy has any of their own residencies, and as far as I know, the Navy is the only branch offerring the HPSP right now (I could be wrong), but I know the Army has a few residencies: at Madigan Army Medical Center and Womack/Eisenhower Army Medical Centers. There used to be an Army Pod on here, but I don't know if he still checks the forums out.

The navy is the only branch offering scholarships to my knowledge. They started the HPSP in October for the first time. It will pay for up to 3 years of school tuition, plus books, plus about 2k per month. I applied and am playing the waiting game now. It takes a while. You have to do a lot of paperwork, background checks, and go get a physical, etc. I think they require a 3.0 gpa, and 3 letters of rec. The scholarship is comparable to md/do but we don't get the 20k sign on bonus. And they will only pay for up to 3 years of school as I understand, not 4. The payback is 3 years active duty and then 5 years of irr (inactive ready reserve). Once you're in you are their property, but I doubt they would pull you during school. There is the option of signing on after you graduate and they will pay back some loan money in return for active duty payback time. Check the military forum for general info, and if I can help answer any questions let me know.

I am applying to the Navy for active duty podiatrist (after I completed schooling and residency). As creflo stated, there is a mound of paperwork, background check, a phone interview and a personal interview, and a physical that needs to be completed. I am playing the same waiting game right now (I have been told up to 6 mos of waiting). Going in as a practicing podiatrist is a little different: they will pay $40000 for 3 years and you have to give a year for each year they pay. There are no sign on bonuses and no yearly bonuses (because we are a part of the Health Care Corps-- with the hospital admins). I think that either way you decide to go is fine, I just didn't want to have to worry during residency or school about the military telling me where to go and what to do. The other thing to consider is the amount of time you have to give back and the amount of money you are looking to make. I will sign for 7 yrs (in my opinion if I am giving 7 and then 3 yrs as reserves I might as well serve 20 and get a retirement). You will go in as an O3, the podiatrist I interviewed with has been in 17 yrs and is an O4. He said that it is difficult to make rank because there are 15 podiatrists in the entire Navy and a thousands of nurses and hospital admins. He is making about 65000 with living allowances included.

i totally agree.....i personally spoke to a recruiter and for every year that they give you money...you give them a year. The minimun is 3 years!!!!! In this 3 years they can and will send you where ever they want. More than likely it will be overseas in a military hosp where people are hurt aka war zone place. Another thing to remember is that when you sign on the dotted line you ARE soldier FIRST and doctor second, which means you are trained as a soldier so if they need you in the battle, you will take your scubs off and suit up and go fight. There is alot of things the military won't tell you because they are trying to recruit you, but do remember that they will OWN you for some years and the only branch that does pod school so far is navy... not airforce or army. And I have seen navy men get killed in the war as a military doctor. Just remember you are soldier first and doctor second.

PS. in case you thought you were safe.....the navy is branched with the marines....who are on the front line. SO THINK ABOUT HARD.

Exactly right, you will be right there with the Navy Seals, behind enemy lines, facing the enemy down.

"tango-3-Foxtrot this is alphaPod1, enemy is in our sights, may we engage with antifungal rockets and felt bunion pads, over?"

Just another day as a Navy podiatrist.

LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is funny! From what I have been told by a current Navy podiatrist who was sent over to Iraq: He was in the hospital (or whatever it is called) dealing with lower extremity trauma and overuse issues. Correct me if I am wrong: but I think that the Corpsmen that are on the front lines triaging injured service members.

I don't know Navyprincess, phillypod has a terrifingly convincing argument and he would know he personally spoke to a recruiter!

Lots of Top secret behind enemy lines type of work from what I've been told.

"Our intelligence assets on the ground indicate that Sheibani Network's leader Abu Mustafa al Sheibaniis is suffering from wicked bunion deformities and a pronated stj and the Mujahideen Shura Council is suffering from an infestation of tinea pedis."

(You will be a top secret Commando 1st, then a regular commando 2nd then a marine 3rd, then a soldier 4th then finally if you have enough time, a podiatrist)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know Navyprincess, phillypod has a terrifingly convincing argument and he would know he actually spoke to a recruiter!

Lots of Top secret behind enemy lines type of work from what I've been told.

(You will be a top secret Commando 1st, then a regular commando 2nd then a marine 3rd, then a soldier 4th then finally if you have enough time, a podiatrist)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Alpha Trypsin Poderator sent to enemy lines to eliminate bunnions and destroy morton neuromas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that Iraq was stockpiling

"bunions of mass destruction"

Theres only one thing about this that bothers me. before i mention it i have to be honest and say i am considering the navy deal, since its one of the best tuition pay back offers out there
but...

the thing that bothers me is DO reimbursement. i was talking to a couple of DO's in the miltary helthcorps. they said that the military pays about 46,ooo per year for their tuition and books, 20,000 sign on bonus and the normal 24,000 a year living expenses . this is not even considering the fact that they can join on fora fourth year.

by my math, even for just 3 years, thats 210,000
if a pod joins, their total (at least for my school) would be 28,000 year and 24,000 living coming to 156,000

with all this said, the main problem is pod school is just so much cheaper then DO school. (in my area)
you would think the Pod benefits would be larger to compensate for that difference.
now ,if you trust that belief that pod (3 year res) and general DO's earning potentials are similar, it seems like the navy is getting a hell of a deal on a for a foot and ankle surgeon

though, in reality i would NEVER use this earning info in my decision to try for the navy scholarship. it really does not matter what others are getting paid.

for me, its if the benefits out weight the risks.

but still... it does seem a tad wrong. but then again, only the navy is offering anything for pod's, so i guess its a step in the right direction

Last edited:
Well, if you think that sounds wrong, how about this one: podiatrists are not part of the medical officer corps they are a part of the health care corps (with nurses, health care admin, etc). MDs and DOs get sign-on bonuses dependent on what their specialty is (to make it more like what they can make in private practice). Podiatrists also have a hard time getting promoted due to the small specialty and lack of deployments (the pod I interviewed with through the Navy was an O4 after 17 yrs in and going in as an O-3). You first year in the Navy as a podiatrist you will make roughly 65,000 including your BAH (housing) which is tax free, so your taxable income is 35000. For me, I am going in after residency and will get tuition pay back at 40000 per year for 3 years (but this is taxable). For me, my husband is in the Navy and I will have a better chance of being stationed with him if I am in the Navy then if I am a private podiatrist (trying to move every 3 years and find a new job).

Well, if you think that sounds wrong, how about this one: podiatrists are not part of the medical officer corps they are a part of the health care corps (with nurses, health care admin, etc).

;) Actually, even the nurses have their own Corps...

Medical Corps (MC)=MD's/DO

Medical Service Corps (MSC)= DPM/OD/PharmD, DPT, Social Workers, Health Care Admins, biochemists, microbiologists, etc...

Nurse Corps (NC)= all nurses...

and of course, don't forget about the Dentists...(Dental Corps)...

Personally, I'd love to see DPM's get merged with the MC but I don't really think it'll ever happen......Heck, I wonder if anyone has ever even challenged it...Seriously...Why should a full-fledged foot/ankle surgeon be classified in the same Corps with a freakin' social-worker??.....It's just something not right about that-----especially with the newer pods coming out of surg. residencies! :mad:

;) Actually, even the nurses have their own Corps...

Medical Corps (MC)=MD's/DO

Medical Service Corps (MSC)= DPM/OD/PharmD, DPT, Social Workers, Health Care Admins, biochemists, microbiologists, etc...

Nurse Corps (NC)= all nurses...

and of course, don't forget about the Dentists...(Dental Corps)...

Personally, I'd love to see DPM's get merged with the MC but I don't really think it'll ever happen......Heck, I wonder if anyone has ever even challenged it...Seriously...Why should a full-fledged foot/ankle surgeon be classified in the same Corps with a freakin' social-worker??.....It's just something not right about that-----especially with the newer pods coming out of surg. residencies! :mad:

Frankly, I think many of you are failing to see the bigger picture. I can tell you from my experience working in a large tertiary VA facility that handles a huge volume of trauma that podiatry is not something that the armed services is really going to utilize. The armed forces prefer to amputate nasty injuries affecting the distal lower extremity (think IEDs). Its quicker, cheaper, and prevents post op complications that you wouldn't be able to manage in a war zone. The military's view regarding pod's is that they'd rather have an orthopedist instead since they can service the entire body, perform AKAs, BKAs, and since DPMs are not legally allowed to amputate the foot, they wouldn't be much use in a war zone now would they...If you really want to work in the military have fun getting underpaid, and getting crappy cases. At least its and adventure in the navy...

Do they only pay medical school loans or are UG loans lumped in there some how?

Frankly, I think many of you are failing to see the bigger picture. I can tell you from my experience working in a large tertiary VA facility that handles a huge volume of trauma that podiatry is not something that the armed services is really going to utilize. The armed forces prefer to amputate nasty injuries affecting the distal lower extremity (think IEDs). Its quicker, cheaper, and prevents post op complications that you wouldn't be able to manage in a war zone. The military's view regarding pod's is that they'd rather have an orthopedist instead since they can service the entire body, perform AKAs, BKAs, and since DPMs are not legally allowed to amputate the foot, they wouldn't be much use in a war zone now would they...If you really want to work in the military have fun getting underpaid, and getting crappy cases. At least its and adventure in the navy...

for me, the biggest risk of being navy pod is getting shipped to iraq or some other war zone. i would not want to bring that type of stress to my wife.

So, one positive thing about podiatrists being slightly "useless in a war zone" would be that very few get shipped into a warzone..
just a optimistic guess :D

DPMs in the military can "legally" do almost anything. While US regs are loosely followed oversees in hospitals (only because that's the way the US docs know how to practice), they don't use a lot of time wasters - like HIPPA and consent forms.

DPMs in the VA system are in federal facilities and not governed by state scope of practice laws. They can operate to the fullest extend of the maximal license they have. I.E., if you practice in a VA in NY and have a license from FL, you can do anything your FL license allows you to do.

Also, the military is not quick to amputate for economic reasons as you suggest. I saw an excellent presentation by an Army neurosurgeon who showed many slides of mangled extremities which are debrided, irrigated, and then stabilized with external fixation and Wound VACs until they can be sent to Germany (usually within 6 hours), and then to the US.

That being said, I agree with your statement about the military preferring orthopedists since they are more versatile.

DPMs in the military can "legally" do almost anything. While US regs are loosely followed oversees in hospitals (only because that's the way the US docs know how to practice), they don't use a lot of time wasters - like HIPPA and consent forms.

DPMs in the VA system are in federal facilities and not governed by state scope of practice laws. They can operate to the fullest extend of the maximal license they have. I.E., if you practice in a VA in NY and have a license from FL, you can do anything your FL license allows you to do.

Also, the military is not quick to amputate for economic reasons as you suggest. I saw an excellent presentation by an Army neurosurgeon who showed many slides of mangled extremities which are debrided, irrigated, and then stabilized with external fixation and Wound VACs until they can be sent to Germany (usually within 6 hours), and then to the US.

That being said, I agree with your statement about the military preferring orthopedists since they are more versatile.

You present some interesting points about working for the federal government and military as a podiatrist.

As far as the mangled extremities, granted this is my anecdotal experience, most soldiers who've been mangled have gone on to have amputations. The front/country the soldier was injured in also has a large impact on success of the interventions. Afghanistan vets, the at least the ones I saw were usually in the worst shape. National Geographic did an excellent article on wartime medicine that paints a picture similar to what I have witnessed in the VA. They've tried to save people and limbs that by doing things that would not have even been attempted state side. That's why there have been case reports of triple and I think even quadruple amputees.

From what I've heard, military medicine is actually a team approach.

The typical pod student probably would have a hard time understanding that concept while they claw at and use each other for old tests and such.

Anyway, it is nice to spread what we've seen on war movies and in popular culture magazines and form opinions based on that.

It actually takes guts to join as a Pod in the military and that's something that will set them apart from their pod peers. The sky would be the limit for these individuals IMO.

From what I've heard, military medicine is actually a team approach.

The typical pod student probably would have a hard time understanding that concept while they claw at and use each other for old tests and such.

Anyway, it is nice to spread what we've seen on war movies and in popular culture magazines and form opinions based on that.

It actually takes guts to join as a Pod in the military and that's something that will set them apart from their pod peers. The sky would be the limit for these individuals IMO.

I agree with you on the team approach. However, my opinions are based on my experience working in the VAMC, and the observations of my father who works on the polytrauma unit of one of the busiest and most efficient VA hospitals in the nation. All VAMC's are not equal in accepted measures of quality care and performance.

well i will have more info on this thursday after my meeting with the navy! :thumbup:

the meeting went well. The recruited wasnt exactly sure the new rules for pods but he knew that we would be covered under the HPSP. He is emailing me the applications and paper work this week and i will be filling all of that out.

My issue is asthma. I have been treated for asthma several times and he said its a big factor. He said i will absolutely fail the general history/physical portion. He however did say that since i can run 5+ miles easily that i can go to a pulmonologist to get a lung analysis (those of us through with respiratory physiology know what that entails). hopefully that will be enough to get an exemption into the navy. We shall see.

I will update as the process continues

I am also looking into the HPSP for Navy Podiatry. I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone knew the answers or where to find them:

After completing Pod school, how much will you get paid while in your residency (assuming you do a military residency)?

What if you do a civilian residency? Do you just get your civilian residency pay, then pay back your 3 years once you complete your residency?

Is anyone on here an actuall Navy Podiatrist and would they be willing to provide any additional information about where Navy Pods are most likely to get stationed and/or do thier residency?

Thanks.