Navy Navy HPSP Dental Clinical Clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisdomtooth422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just received the 4 year Navy HPSP for dental school about a month ago, and I will be starting school this August. I have heard about dental clerkships in the Navy, and had some questions about it if anyone could answer.
1. What are you exactly allowed to do during a clerkship? Is it just shadowing? Do you get paid? If so, how much?
2. Are there different locations? Can I request to do a clerkship somewhere specifically? Where would we live during this time?
3. How long does the clerkship last, and when are they? I have heard it is usually 45 days, but what if we don't have that time during the school year? Are they usually done in the summer?

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. You are able to request to visit any dental clinic within your reach to observe only. There may be an exception if your dental school has a externship agreement set up, then you can do more than watch (possibly even assist). Usually these get paid for travel and lodging if you get approval from the clinic director you are interested in visiting. On top of this, you will get paid active duty pay at ENSIGN rate* google this if you want to know how much this is.

2. Most people visit the naval post graduate school (residency that you might be interested in applying to) at Bethesda, MD. OMFS applicants visit the three hospitals (Portsmouth,VA / Bethesda, MD / San Diego, CA). You will get local housing at the Navy Lodge or Navy Gateway Inn depending on their availability. If not available, you will have to seek housing off campus on your own and pay for it and the navy will only pay for the per diem rate (what you should be allowed for) and you will pay the difference if the full cost is not covered by your per diem.

3. Usually they try to keep the dental school students no longer than 2 week period. Minus the 2 weeks you use to visit a clinic, the rest of the 45 day requirement can be met by just staying at school. You can also opt to do the clerkship over summer.

Reactions: 1 user
1. You are able to request to visit any dental clinic within your reach to observe only. There may be an exception if your dental school has a externship agreement set up, then you can do more than watch (possibly even assist). Usually these get paid for travel and lodging if you get approval from the clinic director you are interested in visiting. On top of this, you will get paid active duty pay at ENSIGN rate* google this if you want to know how much this is.

2. Most people visit the naval post graduate school (residency that you might be interested in applying to) at Bethesda, MD. OMFS applicants visit the three hospitals (Portsmouth,VA / Bethesda, MD / San Diego, CA). You will get local housing at the Navy Lodge or Navy Gateway Inn depending on their availability. If not available, you will have to seek housing off campus on your own and pay for it and the navy will only pay for the per diem rate (what you should be allowed for) and you will pay the difference if the full cost is not covered by your per diem.

3. Usually they try to keep the dental school students no longer than 2 week period. Minus the 2 weeks you use to visit a clinic, the rest of the 45 day requirement can be met by just staying at school. You can also opt to do the clerkship over summer.

Wow thank you so much for answering all my questions!! :D Are you a Navy dentist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are clerkships typically taken during the active duty training time?