Navy HPSP Advice -- Interest in being a UMO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

king1243

Reaction score
I am a current applicant who has already been accepted to medical school and am currently interested in a surgical specialty. I started looking into the HPSP as a way to cover some of the more expensive medical schools on my list but came across the UMO program that the Navy has. As a current PADI divemaster candidate, this seemed like a great way to integrate my love of diving (along with some extra training) with medicine and hopefully live in a couple of really cool places. The idea I have right now is to do the HPSP, serve out my commitment to the Navy as a UMO, then hopefully transition over to a civilian residency.

Before I sign anything, however, I want to learn a little more about 1) the day-to-day life of a UMO, 2) how taking 4 years off of the traditional track to serve as a UMO could positively or negatively impact my chances of matching, especially into competitive specialties, and 3) if this idea is totally unrealistic and I should just stick to the non-military track. Any advice/help would be truly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.