Navy HPSP Acceptance Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottPaul007

Reaction score
Two weeks ago my recruiter informed me that I received the 3-year NAVY HPSP. They said if things move quick enough I could be reimbursed for my current semester and next semester, so basically a 4 year scholarship.

I have yet to sign any formal documents and I feel that it is taking longer than expected. What is the usual wait time? After confirming acceptance, when does the commissioning ceremony occur and when do benefits start? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just get ready to hurry up and wait... a lot. This is government we are talking about and things move SLOWLY. Recruiter will do all of that for you.
LOL I had heard of that quote before and now it's becoming apparent to me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get accepted to the HPSP and have second thoughts can you back out of it?
Depends, did you start school yet? That could make things more complicated.
Why are you having second thoughts? There are literally hundreds waiting to take that full ride scholarship that pays you during school, especially since they have halved the # of scholarships given. I mean sure it isn't ideal joining the military, but unless you have some other way to finance dental school aside from loans, it's a REALLY GOOD DEAL and worth the trade 1000%.
Plus, look at the potential for GI bill, military on resume afterwards(for residency or hiring), no DEA/malpractice insurance. I would really think about staying in because I think you would regret it in hindsight when looking at your massive debt that you owe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you get accepted to the HPSP and have second thoughts can you back out of it?
Yeah as long as you have not signed the papers. I have been accepted through word by my recruiter, but am still waiting for the official papers to sign. So technically I could decline acceptance.