Navy Navy FTIS OMFS training vs Civilian (NADDS / FTOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine jitters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the 3 Navy programs have caseloads that would more than adequately prepare someone for a career in private practice at the minimum. Beyond that, would these programs give someone all the clinical experience necessary to enter an extremely technique sensitive sub-specialty, such as head and neck reconstruction, if a trainee determined they wanted to do big surgeries more regularly / ultimately wanted a career in academics? Can anyone speak to the case volume of these programs in relation to civilian programs accessible via NADDS or FTOS? If the case volume truly is much higher in the civilian world, would it be worth the financial pitfalls associated with NADDS or the time commitments associated with FTOS as an individual seeking to match as an ENS?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
After conversations I have had with current Navy oral surgeons, they have told me that each in-service residency is CODA accredited. Which means that they fulfill all the requirements to produce well prepared oral surgeons.
The cases at each residency will largely depend on the program director's preferences and specialties/field of interest. With that being said, what I was told is that Navy hospitals don't get a ton of trauma or cancer when compared to civilian hospitals. This is just because of who the patient base is. On the flip side, Navy residencies do WAY more orthognathic surgeries than civilian programs. They also tend to be cosmetic heavy, i.e. implants, blepharoplasties, rhinoplasties, otoplasties etc.
Take this with a grain of salt. This is just what I have heard from conversations I have had. Things often change when leadership changes.

Reactions: 2 users