Navy Doctor Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm enrolled in NROTC right now, and I heard from a friend that the CO's NROTC units have received memos to try getting some nurses to go into medicine because of the enormous shortage of Navy doctors. Looks like it will be smooth sailing for those who are actually trying to get into the Navy med :).
Also, a question othrough n an unrelated topic, I was wondering how residency programs worked the military. If you take a military residency, are you less likely to have it interrupted by a GMO tour, etc.? Also, if your residency is interrupted, do you usually have to start over when you get back, and if you start over when you get back, do the additional years that it take tack onto your commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

ankit2025 said:
I'm enrolled in NROTC right now, and I heard from a friend that the CO's NROTC units have received memos to try getting some nurses to go into medicine because of the enormous shortage of Navy doctors. Looks like it will be smooth sailing for those who are actually trying to get into the Navy med :).
Also, a question othrough n an unrelated topic, I was wondering how residency programs worked the military. If you take a military residency, are you less likely to have it interrupted by a GMO tour, etc.? Also, if your residency is interrupted, do you usually have to start over when you get back, and if you start over when you get back, do the additional years that it take tack onto your commitment?

Getting future RNs to become future MDs is funny. Its not like the pre-reqs are any different are they...lol Sounds like a strategy the military would use.

First of all right out of med school you are not applying for residency. Unless you apply for a full deferment.(and since you didnt ask I will not mention it, but when you get into med school you need to seriously consider this option) In the spring summer leading into your fourth year of med school you will place a rank order list with BUMED through their GME website. Your choices will be internship at all the navy facilities, 1 year deferment, full deferment. Barring FD your best bet is to apply for Navy internship. Then when you are in your internship you will apply for residency. A separate process. And depending on what field you are looking at will determine how likely it is for you to go straight through without having to do a GMO tour. If you are interested in Competitive specialties then you will find yourself as a GMO. Uncompetitive then you have a better chance to go straight through but not gaurenteed.

After your GMO tour when you come back to residency, If you are going into the same field you did your internship in and you are found to be competent then you will proceed as a PGY2. If you are changing fields or if your staff determine that you need extra time as a PGY1 then you will be what is refferred to as a resitern. Kinda like half a year as an intern the rest as a resident. And yes if that happens to you you will accrue more time that someone going straight to PGY2.

This is kinda the way it works. Im leaving out alot of details but this should answer a few questions. You need to really read up on what you have gotten yourself into.

Have you already accrued a committment since you are NROTC? If not you may want to consider other ways than HPSP. Having your residency time broken is not the best thing to have happen and in the Navy it is almost a certainty. That statement you made about making it easier to get into Navy medicine b/c there are fewer applicants.. thats true. But what is also true is that the number of GMO billets have increased. So you do the math. Navy medicine is built around the GMO. That is unfortunately not changing anytime soon.

ankit2025 said:
I'm enrolled in NROTC right now, and I heard from a friend that the CO's NROTC units have received memos to try getting some nurses to go into medicine because of the enormous shortage of Navy doctors.

The Army is hurting too, and boy they sure made the HPSP application process a pain in the butt. I still won't find out if I'm selected for another month, although I highly doubt I won't be.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are hurting then why is the Navy HPSP recruiter who contacted me a few months ago and knows I'm accepted to a medical school plus I'm prior service IGNORING me? Go figure. I never thought a recruiter would ignore fresh meat. :confused:

fozziewan said:
If they are hurting then why is the Navy HPSP recruiter who contacted me a few months ago and knows I'm accepted to a medical school plus I'm prior service IGNORING me? Go figure. I never thought a recruiter would ignore fresh meat. :confused:

My experience with the Navy recruiters was less than stellar. I had actually planned on going Navy, but went to the Army people first.

I didn't know exactly where the health recruiters were located, so I stopped into the enlisted recruiters' offices. The Army guy offered to help me out in finding it, the navy guy just stood there and stared -- he offered no help. Strike One.

I checked the Army and Navy websites. Army had my local HPSP recruiter clearly displayed; I could not find the navy HPSP recruiter on the website. Strike Two.

I entered online chat to ask for the location. Dude tells me to fill out this form, so I do. I also call a 1-800 number to get the office location, but they would only give me another phone number to call. Strike three.

I finally said to heck with the navy and went for the army. I've been pretty pleased with my experiences thus far, MEPS aside, but MEPS really isn't army specific -- all the branches around here use the same MEPS. My recruiters have worked very hard on my behalf to move things along quickly and smoothly.

Oh yeah, the Navy finally did respond to the online form I filled out. Three weeks after doing so, a navy enlistement recruiter called me at 9AM on a Thursday morning. :rolleyes: I told him I was actually looking for the health professions recruiter, but decided to go army.