Navy clerkship and spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions related to the clerkships/rotations at Naval hospitals during the 3rd and 4th year of medical school.

1. Does the Navy provide a place to live during the clerkship? If so, what are the living conditions like? Are they similar to a college dorm? Or more like an apartment?

2. Does the military pay for spouses to come as well (i.e. their plane ticket and housing)?

Thank you for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

navy said:
I have some questions related to the clerkships/rotations at Naval hospitals during the 3rd and 4th year of medical school.

1. Does the Navy provide a place to live during the clerkship? If so, what are the living conditions like? Are they similar to a college dorm? Or more like an apartment?

2. Does the military pay for spouses to come as well (i.e. their plane ticket and housing)?

1. No. They usually supply you a list of available short-term residence hotels/suites near your facility. Some are motels. Some are better, like efficiency apartments.

2. This is considered ACDUTRA and is unaccompanied duty. You will have to pay for travel for your spouse and for additional lodging and meals if your spouse accompanies you.

navy said:

1. THe military will reimburse you for your housing expenses up to a certain amount based upon the local price of hotels. They will do this only if there is non availability with military housing. I found that when I was going through it there was never military housnig available. Frankly this is better. I got to stay in some nice hotels with pools, etc.

2. No, the spouse won't be paid for travel. However, you can certainly have your spouse stay in your hotel room for the month.