Program-Specific Info / Q's NAU OTD Cycle Fall 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTD2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanted to post a thread since I did not see one already. I have been invited to virtually interview with NAU on December 14th. From their email it seems they are also doing another interview in February since it did say they can reschedule if you are still interested.

I was curious if anyone else was also interviewing on that day, or other day. I am anxiously waiting for the follow up email about further information about the interview. It had said it was occurring from 8-12 and I guess I was just wondering if I should just take the full day off of work or just a half day -I work from home-

Was just wondering if anyone had any insight for some potential interview questions to look out for or just generally how the process goes for NAU. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone preparing! I know I am growing impatient from no additional follow-up yet!

Hi,

I also recieved an invite for the December 14th interview! I assume there will be some one on one and group interviews during that three-hour time span, but I am also waiting for an email back for preparation details. The program coordinator told me they will be sending out an email with a detailed agenda and resources to help me prepare. Best of luck, maybe we'll be in the same group!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh great! I was getting worried since the interview is coming up. Glad to know that they just haven't sent out the follow-up details yet. Good luck to you also!

Well I sent an email yesterday inquiring further and the format will be:
Welcome and introductions
Group Interview, 3 applicants with 3 interview panelists
Writing assessment-test your understanding of the field of OT
Student Panel Q&A
Faculty Break-out sessions where you get to know faculty and ask them questions.

They said they would email me tomorrow about more instructions and resources to prepare/agenda. Good luck everyone!

Wow. I am shocked at the itinerary and the 2 hour extension for the interview making it 6 hours long. But it is nice to see that they are being so thorough so not only do they get a good representation of ourselves as candidates but we have an understanding of their program as well. Good luck! I am definitely stressing out but we got this!

Hope that everyone feels they did well today in their interviews. I felt that mine went well! Could have been better but that is to be expected, the other 2 in my interview group did well also. It definitely felt like a very long day though! Good luck to people interviewing in February. Fingers crossed that we can receive some good news in the coming weeks!

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates so far? I’m still waiting to hear back.

Nothing for me either, though it did mention we would hear back by the 15th so it will be coming up soon! Good luck!

Hello! I was also in the Dec. 14th interview group and have still heard nothing back... I called them on the 30th of Dec. for any updates and they said they would have a decision the following week but didn't. I know tomorrow is the deadline and I'm so nervous and confused. Lol! Has anyone heard anything?

No have not heard anything! I am getting nervous also. I know they just closed their application period on January 9th and were going to have that second interview day in February. So have no idea if that was a factor as to why we haven't heard anything or how many seats they plan on offering right away/waitlisting if there is another group to interview still. Good luck though! Definitely anxious for tomorrow.

Okay, well I am so relieved to hear that you haven't heard anything either! Let's cross our fingers we hear something soon!!

Just got an email that I was waitlisted. Though disappointing, I am still hopeful. Hope others received better news. I am curious to know how many offers they even gave out since they have that second interview date in February. Oh well, and so the excruciating waiting game begins. I am hoping to hear something by the end of February/early March. At least hoping they will send out info on what number on the waitlist we may be.

Would love to know if anyone got accepted/how much time you have to decide!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to hear back, which I’m worried about since you’ve heard back. I’m sorry you didn’t receive the news you were hoping for, but you will end up wherever is meant to be!

Oh really? I would definitely try to reach out! They gave a deadline of accepting/declining a position on the waitlist for Jan 29th. Could just be an error on their part since they did state we would hear back by the 15th. Hopefully you'll hear back soon.

And thank you! Wishing you the best as well!

Last edited:
I also got an email late on the 15th that I was waitlisted. Hoping for some good news in the coming weeks! Did you guys apply to any other programs? Hoping for the best for both of you!!

Hello,

I received an email for an interview for the OTD program at NAU on Feb 1st. Can anyone tell me what I can expect, what type of questions they ask, or how I can prepare for the interview? I am so nervous I have not slept well since I got the email a few days ago.

Hello,

I received an email for an interview for the OTD program at NAU on Feb 1st. Can anyone tell me what I can expect, what type of questions they ask, or how I can prepare for the interview? I am so nervous I have not slept well since I got the email a few days ago.
Hi! Good luck on your interview. If you see my prior post I outlined how the day went, I imagine they will use a similar format. Your schedule will vary so for example everyone has the welcome and faculty Q&A at the same time but your interview and writing times can vary. I had my writing portion first and interview after. Just know that you are being 'graded' only on the writing portion and the group interview of course. The rest being more about you talking with current students/professors and getting a better understanding of their program. For the interview, there were 3 interviewees and 3 interviewers. One being a faculty, one an experienced OT community practitioner and the last a current student.

I would say that I was not asked a question I was not prepared for, so nothing caught my off guard if that helps. Just practice the basic 'OT interview' questions basically. As for the writing portion, they give you everything you need so don't worry about needing to prepare beforehand.

Any interview is nerve-wracking so just make sure you put the work in and get prepared and rehearse and I am sure you will do well!

Hi! Good luck on your interview. If you see my prior post I outlined how the day went, I imagine they will use a similar format. Your schedule will vary so for example everyone has the welcome and faculty Q&A at the same time but your interview and writing times can vary. I had my writing portion first and interview after. Just know that you are being 'graded' only on the writing portion and the group interview of course. The rest being more about you talking with current students/professors and getting a better understanding of their program. For the interview, there were 3 interviewees and 3 interviewers. One being a faculty, one an experienced OT community practitioner and the last a current student.

I would say that I was not asked a question I was not prepared for, so nothing caught my off guard if that helps. Just practice the basic 'OT interview' questions basically. As for the writing portion, they give you everything you need so don't worry about needing to prepare beforehand.

Any interview is nerve-wracking so just make sure you put the work in and get prepared and rehearse and I am sure you will do well!
Thank you so much for responding. This is my first time applying to any graduate program and I have no idea what I'm in for so reading your post is very helpful to me. Was the writing portioned timed? was there any questions in particular that you think I might need to practice for? I have been surfing the web for OT interview questions and I literally written down about 50 of them but I would love to know which ones I should be focused on because I tend to get stage fright when put on the spot and my mind goes blank and I feel like I start to stutter because of my nerves so I feel like I REALLY need to do mock interviews over the weekend to help get ready but I don't know which questions to focus on and which to ignore.

Thank you so much for responding. This is my first time applying to any graduate program and I have no idea what I'm in for so reading your post is very helpful to me. Was the writing portioned timed? was there any questions in particular that you think I might need to practice for? I have been surfing the web for OT interview questions and I literally written down about 50 of them but I would love to know which ones I should be focused on because I tend to get stage fright when put on the spot and my mind goes blank and I feel like I start to stutter because of my nerves so I feel like I REALLY need to do mock interviews over the weekend to help get ready but I don't know which questions to focus on and which to ignore.
Yeah I get it! I was definitely nervous as well when doing the interview as it was my first one also. Yes the writing portion is timed. I believe they give you an hour which is more than enough time. I can't say something jumps out at me as this is what you need to focus on practicing for and it seems like you'll be well rehearsed anyhow. I will say the questions were more about your personal experiences and how that will prepare you to do well in OT and their program. Of course go over their practice-scholar, change agent, servant leader and how you can apply those to yourself, similar to the essay. Everyone answers all of the questions so I know for me I jumped in to go first to answer some right away that I knew I could come up with something more easily. And the questions I needed to think about, I would go second or third to have more time to think about it.

Last edited:
Yeah I get it! I was definitely nervous as well when doing the interview as it was my first one also. Yes the writing portion is timed. I believe they give you an hour which is more than enough time. I can't say something jumps out at me as this is what you need to focus on practicing for and it seems like you'll be well rehearsed anyhow. I will say the questions were more about your personal experiences and how that will prepare you to do well in OT and their program. Of course go over their practice-scholar, change agent, servant leader and how you can apply those to yourself, similar to the essay. Everyone answers all of the questions so I know for me I jumped in to go first to answer some right away that I knew I could come up with something more easily. And the questions I needed to think about, I would go second or third to have more time to think about it.
Thanks this so helpful. I think the thing that scares me the most now is the writing portion. I really hope I don't draw a blank and start to choke as if I've never even heard of occupational therapy before lol. If you don't mind me asking, did they give you a topic to write on or was it something you had to make up yourself?

Thanks this so helpful. I think the thing that scares me the most now is the writing portion. I really hope I don't draw a blank and start to choke as if I've never even heard of occupational therapy before lol. If you don't mind me asking, did they give you a topic to write on or was it something you had to make up yourself?
They give you a prompt. And I don't want to give it away out of fairness but they give you all that you need and you don't need to bring in any prior knowledge and you have plenty of time to write what they ask for.

They give you a prompt. And I don't want to give it away out of fairness but they give you all that you need and you don't need to bring in any prior knowledge and you have plenty of time to write what they ask for.
Thank you I feel a little better now because if I would have stressed all weekend if you have said I had to make up something on the spot lol. Hopefully we both get accepted and I will get to meet you in person :)

Thank you I feel a little better now because if I would have stressed all weekend if you have said I had to make up something on the spot lol. Hopefully we both get accepted and I will get to meet you in person :)
You're welcome! Glad you feel better about your interview. I hope it goes well! Let us know also when they tell you when you are supposed to hear a decision back by so those of us on the waitlist will know when we should hear back about our positions. :)Good luck!

You're welcome! Glad you feel better about your interview. I hope it goes well! Let us know also when they tell you when you are supposed to hear a decision back by so those of us on the waitlist will know when we should hear back about our positions. :)Good luck!
Hello again, So I just got an email with agenda and everything for my interview and it says that we will be informed of the admissions decision by march 1st. I know that's a long time to wonder if any waitlisted students will get accepted and even I will be nervous and wondering the whole time :shrug:😖

Hello again, So I just got an email with agenda and everything for my interview and it says that we will be informed of the admissions decision by march 1st. I know that's a long time to wonder if any waitlisted students will get accepted and even I will be nervous and wondering the whole time :shrug:😖
Ah I kind of figured as much as they gave an exact month timeline as well to when we first interviewed vs when we would hear back by and of course we didn't hear anything until that last day! Thanks though, always reassuring to know definitively!

Hope your interview today went well! Curious to know how you thought it went as well as how many people were in the Zoom interviewing? For me it was ~80 people interviewing.

Hi there! I interviewed on 2/1, as well. There were approximately 70 applicants in attendance, and they only had the two interview days. A couple things I’ll mention are that they said they would notify applicants about movement on the waitlist monthly (probably could reach out to ask periodically also), and to not be discouraged if you have been put on the waitlist because there is still a chance that you could be offered a seat up until the year starts. Best of luck and hoping we all hear some good news!

Hope your interview today went well! Curious to know how you thought it went as well as how many people were in the Zoom interviewing? For me it was ~80 people interviewing.
Hey there from what I heard it was about 60 people that interviewed because some students did not attend. Overall I did not enjoy it. The questions that were asked were way different than the usual OT interview questions at other schools and I prepared a whole week and none of the questions I prepared for was asked. The student panel was a waste of time because students were asking ridiculous questions that could be answered by simply reading the schools website and some were asking repetitive questions just worded differently and the student panel continued to answered them so I was unable to asked any genuine questions because the time ran out. You could tell that some were asking questions just to put their face out there and it took everything in me not to just log off and end the interview because it was frustrating. Some of the questions asked had nothing to do with school or the program. I was finally able to get a question answered during the faculty Q&A but again the only gave about 20 minutes for 20+ students to ask questions so time ran out there as well and my other 2 questions were not answered. After it was all over I had a headache and was irritated and not positive about getting accepted at all. If I get in it would probably be a miracle but if I don't believe me I will not cry about it because if the students in my interview group will be in my cohort I would most likely drop out anyway
Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Hey there from what I heard it was about 60 people that interviewed because some students did not attend. Overall I did not enjoy it. The questions that were asked were way different than the usual OT interview questions at other schools and I prepared a whole week and none of the questions I prepared for was asked. The student panel was a waste of time because students were asking ridiculous questions that could be answered by simply reading the schools website and some were asking repetitive questions just worded differently and the student panel continued to answered them so I was unable to asked any genuine questions because the time ran out. You could tell that some were asking questions just to put their face out there and it took everything in me not to just log off and end the interview because it was frustrating. Some of the questions asked had nothing to do with school or the program. I was finally able to get a question answered during the faculty Q&A but again the only gave about 20 minutes for 20+ students to ask questions so time ran out there as well and my other 2 questions were not answered. After it was all over I had a headache and was irritated and not positive about getting accepted at all. If I get in it would probably be a miracle but if I don't believe me I will not cry about it because if the students in my interview group will be in my cohort I would most likely drop out anyway
Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
Yikes! Sorry you felt that way. That's disappointing about your experience with the student panel. I can see how it would be frustrating people asking a question just for the sake of it. Doesn't make much sense to me anyhow because there is no way that the student panel is 'graded' but maybe people felt pressure to do so or thought otherwise. People asked more thoughtful questions during my time with them or pretty standard 'Why NAU over other programs' but I would get peeved too if I had your experience.

The faculty Q&A was a huge waste of time during the December interview. They were having technical issues and we were in the breakout room with a professor for like 2 minutes -no joke- something about they had Zoom scheduled that way and they couldn't do anything about it at the moment. So the professors tried their best to just answer questions in that chat but its ~80 people so yeah I didn't stay for that very long because a ton of people were trying to ask questions and it doesn't really work in that kind of setup.

Well, things happen for a reason and just remember you only encountered a percentage of applicants and who knows if they'll be accepted/accepting or how they really are as an individual not in an interview 😅

Thanks for sharing your experience though and best of luck to you for this application cycle and the future!

Yikes! Sorry you felt that way. That's disappointing about your experience with the student panel. I can see how it would be frustrating people asking a question just for the sake of it. Doesn't make much sense to me anyhow because there is no way that the student panel is 'graded' but maybe people felt pressure to do so or thought otherwise. People asked more thoughtful questions during my time with them or pretty standard 'Why NAU over other programs' but I would get peeved too if I had your experience.

The faculty Q&A was a huge waste of time during the December interview. They were having technical issues and we were in the breakout room with a professor for like 2 minutes -no joke- something about they had Zoom scheduled that way and they couldn't do anything about it at the moment. So the professors tried their best to just answer questions in that chat but its ~80 people so yeah I didn't stay for that very long because a ton of people were trying to ask questions and it doesn't really work in that kind of setup.

Well, things happen for a reason and just remember you only encountered a percentage of applicants and who knows if they'll be accepted/accepting or how they really are as an individual not in an interview 😅

Thanks for sharing your experience though and best of luck to you for this application cycle and the future!
Omg asking meaningful helpful questions like "why NAU over other programs" would have been easy to sit through because I like to get others people's perspective on things, but asking questions like "how much is the rent in AZ", "Do we have to wear masks out there", "what else is there to do when you're not in class or clinicals" and worst of all "what is dog life like out there?" followed by the waste of time useless discussion of dog parks in and around phoenix was not something I planned on listening to for an hour that day. I could have enjoyed a trip to the emergency room or a day at the DMV more than I enjoyed sitting there listening to those questions while my blood pressure continued to rise from anger and frustration. I think that's what caused my headache lol. It will be interesting to check their Facebook page out once they have chosen their class of 2024 cohort to see if any of those students got accepted lol. The faculty Q&A was not as useless as the student panel but some questions were the same as the student panel just worded differently and directed at the faculty. The fact that questions that were better suited for a google search was asked was just beyond my comprehension as I have a short fuse for questions that could be easily researched to be asked as if a conversation about it needs to be had lol:rolleyes::cautious:

Good luck to you and ypu seem like you really want in to this school so I hope you get accepted and get the ball rolling on your OT future 🤞🙌:soexcited:

Hi all,

I just emailed to ask when we would know our wait-list positions and they said everyone would be notified of their status by the end of March then on a monthly basis afterwards up until the fall semester starts in August. I was thinking we may know closer to the beginning of March since that's when those who interviewed in February will hear back but it makes sense to allow the 2 week grace period for those to accept a position on the wait-list or not and then converging the two wait-lists together. Happy waiting!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi,
I just wanted to provide an update to let everyone know that there is movement taking place in the admissions process. I was offered, and accepted, a seat for NAU’s program yesterday by phone. It was the only school I applied to and, to be honest, the only school I considered attending here in AZ. Needless to say, I’m beyond excited to be one step closer to achieving my dreams of being an OT. Wishing you all the very best!

Hi,
I just wanted to provide an update to let everyone know that there is movement taking place in the admissions process. I was offered, and accepted, a seat for NAU’s program yesterday by phone. It was the only school I applied to and, to be honest, the only school I considered attending here in AZ. Needless to say, I’m beyond excited to be one step closer to achieving my dreams of being an OT. Wishing you all the very best!
Congrats on your admissions! And thanks for the update good to know that they have been reaching out! Though I have a feeling those of us on the waitlist won't hear anything until the end of March, regardless good luck to everyone!

Congrats on your admissions! And thanks for the update good to know that they have been reaching out! Though I have a feeling those of us on the waitlist won't hear anything until the end of March, regardless good luck to everyone!
Thank you so much! I sincerely hope you’ll get the news you’re waiting for.

Thank you so much! I sincerely hope you’ll get the news you’re waiting for.
Thanks I appreciate that! Just out of curiosity, did they give you a deadline to accept? Or did you let them know over the phone that you were accepting a seat?

Thanks I appreciate that! Just out of curiosity, did they give you a deadline to accept? Or did you let them know over the phone that you were accepting a seat?
I verbally accepted the seat over the phone since they did ask, but to make it official, the deposit and signed acceptance form must be received by them by 3/1.

I was also offered a seat yesterday. I verbally accepted but not sure if I will actually take the seat. I have to make the decision by march first but it doesn't look like life is going to let me start the program.

I was also offered a seat yesterday. I verbally accepted but not sure if I will actually take the seat. I have to make the decision by march first but it doesn't look like life is going to let me start the program.
Congratulations on getting a seat! Sorry to hear about your circumstance though. I hope that it works out for you and at least you can rest assured that you were accepted regardless. Good luck if you are able to accept this cycle or if you are under better circumstances come next application cycle!

I verbally accepted the seat over the phone since they did ask, but to make it official, the deposit and signed acceptance form must be received by them by 3/1.
How much was the deposit amount?

Hi,
Hello, I interviewed on 2/1 and I was wondering when you received your call (i.e. AM vs. PM)?

I turned in my Alternative Hours by the 2/26 deadline, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with the delay in hearing back. It's 3pm where I'm located and I'm starting to get nervous that I haven't heard anything or received an email.

Hello, I interviewed on 2/1 and I was wondering when you received your call (i.e. AM vs. PM)?

I turned in my Alternative Hours by the 2/26 deadline, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with the delay in hearing back. It's 3pm where I'm located and I'm starting to get nervous that I haven't heard anything or received an email.
Hi,
I received my waitlist email at 3:20 PM MST time so it was later in the day, so don't worry! It seems people heard back later in the day anyhow. This is me just guessing, but I am assuming that people were already contacted by phone if they received an offer -as the time to accept or decline a seat was today- it seems most likely you'll receive a waitlist position. I am unsure if they deny people or offer everyone a position on the waitlist. But, it seems like they do reach out to everyone. Regardless, wishing you the best and hope you get offered a seat otherwise I have reached out and they said we would know our position on the waitlist by the end of this month and from every month then on leading up until the program start in August. I am guessing that people today who get a waitlist offer have 2 weeks to accept or decline, so by March 15th, to do so. Hopefully that week or the next we will know for certain the position. Anyways, good luck I am sure you will hear soon! I know its rough being patient -I interviewed in December so been a long road-

Hi,
I received my waitlist email at 3:20 PM MST time so it was later in the day, so don't worry! It seems people heard back later in the day anyhow. This is me just guessing, but I am assuming that people were already contacted by phone if they received an offer -as the time to accept or decline a seat was today- it seems most likely you'll receive a waitlist position. I am unsure if they deny people or offer everyone a position on the waitlist. But, it seems like they do reach out to everyone. Regardless, wishing you the best and hope you get offered a seat otherwise I have reached out and they said we would know our position on the waitlist by the end of this month and from every month then on leading up until the program start in August. I am guessing that people today who get a waitlist offer have 2 weeks to accept or decline, so by March 15th, to do so. Hopefully that week or the next we will know for certain the position. Anyways, good luck I am sure you will hear soon! I know its rough being patient -I interviewed in December so been a long road-
Thank you for confirming the email timeframe, I hope you get good news soon! I haven't received any emails either. I didn't think I'd qualify for hearing back earlier because I hadn't finished my Alternative Hours. I thought they may need to see my products before deciding. Hopefully turning those in on the due date won't count against me. Unfortunately the day before they were due last week, I had an accident and was injured, and the week before that my mother was hospitalized. I take 18 credit hours right now. I hope they don't think I waited that long just to procrastinate! Fingers crossed!

Hi there,
I received the call after 5 pm, so I was actually surprised to hear from them that late in the afternoon. And considering what the other poster said, there is still hope! I didn’t have all of my observation hours completed either, so they just asked that I either complete the Alternative hours modules or submit documentation of the remaining in-person hours by June 1st. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi there,
I received the call after 5 pm, so I was actually surprised to hear from them that late in the afternoon. And considering what the other poster said, there is still hope! I didn’t have all of my observation hours completed, either, so they just asked that I either complete the Alternative hours modules or submit documentation of the remaining in-person hours by June 1st. Best of luck!
I appreciate your response. It's almost 5pm Arizona time. I'm headed to Phoenix in May whether I get in or not. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate your response. It's almost 5pm Arizona time. I'm headed to Phoenix in May whether I get in or not. We'll see what happens.
Keep us posted! I'd reach out if you didn't hear back today. I always used the contact form on NAU's OTD site and they get back to you relatively quickly, same business day or the next. Also, make sure you check everywhere on my email, I noticed things have been sent to spam or my promotion folder for whatever reason and have read similar things have happened to other people as well. Good luck!

Keep us posted! I'd reach out if you didn't hear back today. I always used the contact form on NAU's OTD site and they get back to you relatively quickly, same business day or the next. Also, make sure you check everywhere on my email, I noticed things have been sent to spam or my promotion folder for whatever reason and have read similar things have happened to other people as well. Good luck!
I called around 5:30pm Arizona time because I figured it's already the end of the business day. Turns out they close at 5... fortunately I got through to someone who said they are behind and that I'd receive a response by tomorrow. She did say I didn't get an email today. I don't know what that means, but I'm speculating that it may mean some emails went out today. Fingers crossed + positive vibes! :)

I received an email explaining I was not offered a seat in the program or a place on the waiting list. Best of luck, everyone!

• Care
I received an email explaining I was not offered a seat in the program or a place on the waiting list. Best of luck, everyone!
Thank you for the update. Sorry you did not receive the news you were expecting, wishing you the best for this application cycle or the next. Good luck on your future endeavors!