National Health Service Corp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take out a scholarship through the national health service, can you pick which needy community you work in after residency, or do they just place you somewhere in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you find the job yourself, but it has to "qualify" as being in an underserved area. (However, I looked at their posted jobs and they're in all kinds of areas - urban, rural, etc.)
You are also able to work in US territories outside of the continental US.

But you might want to call them and double check!

does anyone know anyone who participated in this?? how was it? is it worth it? i've been thinking lately that I would like to start off working in underserved areas anyway, but i am kinda worried about the idea of being sent "anywhere." thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you allowed to specialize in emergency medicine if you do the Health Service Corps. scholarship? I know that it's not technically a 'primary care' field, but it is a very general sort of field where you're trained to do many things....

- Quid

My boss did it. I haven't talked with him much, but it sounded like a nice deal for him. He managed to swing a top, expensive school and come out with very little debt.

I don't know about the ER thing, but you can access the scholarship bulletin at http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/applications/2004ScholarBulletin.pdf

It starts to get interesting around page 19. It looks as though ER would not be supported, but I just skimmed it.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is that, if you change your idea about specialty or the scholarship in general, it turns from a grant into an extremely unforgiving loan with a shorter-than-average payback schedule and a high interest rate. Just something to keep in mind if you're considering it.

I don't think emergency medicine qualifies for this -- to my knowledge it's only open to peds, family practice, internal medicine, and OB/Gyn. Really it's just the primary care specialties to encourage access to continuity of care, which emergency services don't provide.