National Guard secondary MOS during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radishguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m probably going to sound ignorant about this because I am, but I’m trying to find out if I can have a secondary MOS during medical school. I’m a career changer (recovering attorney) and have decided to join the Guard as well, but I don’t really like the idea of sitting on my hands for four years. Can I have a secondary MOS as a JAG? I would just join as a JAG, but I don’t want to risk getting deployed while in school/residency. Do I have any options here, or do I have to just embrace the boring while I’m a student?

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to be bored or have time for secondary anything in medical school (or residency for that matter), unless you half-ass the medicine thing. Don't do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical school and residency are full time commitments. I could see a pharmacist or a nurse working prn. But completely switching careers you will be task overloaded.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school and residency are full time commitments. I could see a pharmacist or a nurse working prn. But completely switching careers you will be task overloaded.
Thank you for the reply.

You're not going to be bored or have time for secondary anything in medical school (or residency for that matter), unless you half-ass the medicine thing. Don't do that.
Thank you for replying.

I’m probably going to sound ignorant about this because I am, but I’m trying to find out if I can have a secondary MOS during medical school. I’m a career changer (recovering attorney) and have decided to join the Guard as well, but I don’t really like the idea of sitting on my hands for four years. Can I have a secondary MOS as a JAG? I would just join as a JAG, but I don’t want to risk getting deployed while in school/residency. Do I have any options here, or do I have to just embrace the boring while I’m a student?

You also cannot hold an AOC in two different branches to my knowledge. Army would be AMEDD and JAG is a different branch in the Army guard/reserves.

Just take your AOC for AMEDD for the guard and concentrate on school and your career. It will be a full time job in and of itself.

Reactions: 1 users