National Guard in High School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CK14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just some background info: I am a 17 y/o male from Oklahoma, I will be a senior in high school next year. I am generally physically fit. I have a 4.3 GPA, 34 ACT, and 97 ASVAB, so I am qualified academically. I think I want to get my undergraduate degree at the University of Oklahoma with a double major in Biology and Biochemical Engineering. I know I want to be a doctor specializing in Emergency Medicine, I just don’t know what my best path would be.
I know that I want to join the Army National Guard at some point, I just don't know when would be the most advantageous to me. If I wanted to join tomorrow, my parents would agree, so that's not an issue.

I know that you have said before not to join the guard the year before medical school (here), but what about before I even get my undergrad? I have spoken to a recruiter some (dangerous, I know), and he said that my best option would be to enlist now (go figure) and go to both basic and AIT the summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college to get all of my GI Bill benefits. Is that true? I think doing both basic and AIT, I'd have to start a semester late. Is this really what is going to be best for me?

While perusing the NG website, I found a page about bonuses and incentives for physicians (here). I have read about MDSSP/STRAP, but not EDRP. Is that worth it?

I know that I could be deployed during med school, but would that be worth it for the extra years of service? I come from a long line of career (enlisted) National Guardsmen, so as best I can tell now, I'd stay in long past my 20 years, because the longer I'm in, the bigger retirement check I would get.

Also, as a resource, I found this website. The guys seems to know what he's talking about (?). Since it is mostly about joining during med school, it doesn't really apply to this situation, but I figure it would be good to share.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I want to get my undergraduate degree at the University of Oklahoma with a double major in Biology and Biochemical Engineering.

That's a total waste of time. Getting a double major in somewhat related fields eats up lots of free time that could be used for either exploring a totally different subject or just enjoying your college life.

I know I want to be a doctor specializing in Emergency Medicine,

No you don't.

I think doing both basic and AIT, I'd have to start a semester late. Is this really what is going to be best for me?

Only you can decide that. Although you will notice on this board that most people advise against delaying educational endeavors.

I know that I could be deployed during med school, but would that be worth it for the extra years of service?

Definitely not.You are pursuing this National Guard career with the head of an enlisted person. You've got to realize that medical officers have a completely different mindset, training regimen, and obligation. If you really want to serve, go to college, then medical school, then residency, and then find a way to join as an attending.