National Guard - Financial Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treyc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To preface, I am a 22 year old Alabama resident beginning medical school this July and will be married in April. I am taking the MDSSP and will be commissioning into the Alabama National Guard in the next couple of months. My fiancé and I are looking for housing and trying to come up with some budget plans, so I am trying to get my military pay figured out. I am unsure how this money will be taxed and would appreciate any help or insight from someone with a little more life experience.

According to Armed Forces Health Professions Stipend and Financial Assistance Program Grant the stipend amount is $2,608 effective July 1, 2022.
According to Drill Pay the drill pay for a new O-1 is $463.64 for 2022.

$2,608 + $463.64 = $3,071.64 monthly, before taxes.

What percentage should I expect to be taken from this total?
Is there any information that I have gotten wrong?
Are there any loopholes or services provided by the military that can boost my monthly income from them?
What other advice do you guys have?

I appreciate any help. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Any "pay" is taxed like normal. Any allowances are tax free.

Total up your expected "pay" and then see where you fall in the tax brackets to estimate what will be taken out. Don't forget to factor in your soon to be wife's income and factor joint vs. separate filing depending on your situation.