"NAPLEX for California" Bill Signed by Gov. Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVPharm

SDN Moderator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an update to let everyone know that Governor Davis signed California Senate Bill 361 on September 25th, thus revising the California licensure examination process.

The actual text of the approved bill is available here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0351-0400/sb_361_bill_20030926_chaptered.pdf

The following is a little "blurb" I received from my school's email regarding the bill (I didn't write it ;) ):

SB361, which is expected to be signed by Governor Davis, includes a provision to revise the licensure examination process. Replacing the existing California exam will be a two part exam - part 1 is the NAPLEX; part 2 is a unique California jurisprudence exam. Under the bill, anyone taking the NAPLEX after Jan 1, 2004 can use the results of that test to satisfy part 1 of the new examination requirements. They will still have to take part 2, which, under the bill, is required to contain certain components, including a test of communications skills and application of knowledge to clinical situations in addition to testing knowledge of California and federal pharmacy law. The testing sections of SB361 described above were written in compliance with existing CPhA House of Delegates policy and CPhA supports their adoption.

This bill does NOT allow reciprocity, which we take to mean recognition of licensure in one state (e.g. Georgia) as a basis for licensure in California. All applicants for licensure in California are required to meet the examination requirements above. To clarify, if someone takes the NAPLEX in Jan 2004 in Georgia, the results can be used to meet that portion of the California requirement; if that person took the NAPLEX in 1999, they will have to take it again after Jan 1, 2004 for the results to be used in California. This is significant because the NAPLEX is being revised and the "new" version will be more challenging than the old. In any case, an applicant will still need to take part 2 of the exam, which is written by the California Board but will be administered by NABP.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much I like this part :

"This is significant because the NAPLEX is being revised and the "new" version will be more challenging than the old."

:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
...including a test of communications skills and application of knowledge to clinical situations in addition to testing knowledge of California and federal pharmacy law.

Part 2 is no "walk in the park" either. Dr. Lacy told us that they've managed to take the hardest parts of the old exam (essay) and place it into the California MPJE. California students will still be at a distinct advantage where this is concerned. Just my opinion.

well...i hope so considering i'm paying an arm and a leg for this school when i could have gone out of state...

If Davis is recalled (which appears likely) will this bill be rescinded?

The bill has already been "chaptered" by the California Secretary of State, so it's already in the state law books. Anything the governor has done during his term such as bills he has signed into law won't be rescinded simply because he may be recalled. There are specific, unpopular issues, such as the hike in vehicle licensing fees that may be acted upon by a new governor to have it repealed (campaign promises), but this particular pharmacy bill had bipartisan support in the legislature, and by all major pharmacy organizations.