NAPLEX 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEUPharmD2016

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since not a lot of threads exist about NAPLEX 2016, I'll share about my experience...

I'm a 2016 grad, I was a decent student in school, but absolutely TANKED my last year (seriously, my GPA for both semesters went from like a 3.5 to a 2.7 LOL) and I am a HORRIBLE test taker. But I have great time management skills.

I studied for about a month, going hardcore in the last couple weeks. Some people say they studied for a week, but I don't believe that for a minute. This exam is too important and the consequences of failing are pretty annoying (the stupid 90 day wait...)
The first 2 weeks I studied the first like...20-25 chapters? They're pretty small and insignificant. I actually typed up notes on them so if anybody wants them, feel free to ask. The most important of those are compounding and immunization - KNOW THESE. I spent like 3-4 days doing this
Then I got sick of typing notes and I read up on HIV, Oncology, and ID and I hand-wrote little note sheets (I have a note pad of like 7x7 paper). Afterwards, I read HTN, DM, HF, and other disease states I thought would be important. This process took me about 2 weeks. If you can't study every day, do every other with some calculations in between. Otherwise, do 30-50 calculations a day so you can finish that chapter in 4-5 days. Its pretty simple. NAPLEX math is NOT hard IF YOU PRACTICE. I didn't do the 120 SDN calculations because I didn't have time, but my friends said it was over-kill.

The last week, I reviewed all of my notes, mostly the handwritten ones on the big disease states. Then I took a pre-naplex 3 days before my east and scored an 80. I took a second one the next day and got a 96. BUT I kinda cheated a little and wish I didn't, I'm just super unconfident lol. It's not really a waste of money, it was nice to get a little confidence boost and to become comfortable with the time and format.

I went in this past Monday, 8/11/16, to take my test at 11:15. I had about an hour to spare. No joke, I absolutely guessed on anything that wasn't math related. Even one TPN problem I couldn't figure out and guessed. A lot of them I narrowed down, but wasn't sure of. I walked out feeling absolutely horrible. But guess what, everyone does! If you're religious, pray your heart out to pass. If you're not, go do something to get your mind off of it. I prayed. The day after my exam I went to an amusement park. I didn't get my score till Thursday and I was freaking out. I got a 109. How??? No idea, just don't freak out too much. If you can do the math, and you have SOME sort of working knowledge about brand/generics, great. After the test your mind WILL focus on all the hard ones and things you probably got wrong. That's normal. Don't try to look stuff up and go crazy.

I used RxPrep. I honestly wish I had RxPrep in school lol, it's amazing. Know your HIV brands. Know the Chemo Man. Know the classes of chemo drugs and where in the cycle chemo drugs and HIV drugs work. Know where HTN meds and NSAIDS work in the renal system. KNow as many unique side effects for stuff as you can remember. THe last question on my exam was one of these and I narrowed it down and I looked it up after and BOTH ANSWERS WERE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE MEDICATION. Like...do you see what Im talking about?! Crazy.

Anyway. You'll get through it. There's a 95% pass rate. More likely than not, even if you feel like you bombed it, you'll pass. But YES you will freak the hell out.

I have to retake my MA MPJE this month though, so if anyone has advice on that, please please please offer something! I don't want to take it a third time :(

Hope this helps! If anyone has other questions I'll try to share more

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Since not a lot of threads exist about NAPLEX 2016, I'll share about my experience...

I'm a 2016 grad, I was a decent student in school, but absolutely TANKED my last year (seriously, my GPA for both semesters went from like a 3.5 to a 2.7 LOL) and I am a HORRIBLE test taker. But I have great time management skills.

I studied for about a month, going hardcore in the last couple weeks. Some people say they studied for a week, but I don't believe that for a minute. This exam is too important and the consequences of failing are pretty annoying (the stupid 90 day wait...)
The first 2 weeks I studied the first like...20-25 chapters? They're pretty small and insignificant. I actually typed up notes on them so if anybody wants them, feel free to ask. The most important of those are compounding and immunization - KNOW THESE. I spent like 3-4 days doing this
Then I got sick of typing notes and I read up on HIV, Oncology, and ID and I hand-wrote little note sheets (I have a note pad of like 7x7 paper). Afterwards, I read HTN, DM, HF, and other disease states I thought would be important. This process took me about 2 weeks. If you can't study every day, do every other with some calculations in between. Otherwise, do 30-50 calculations a day so you can finish that chapter in 4-5 days. Its pretty simple. NAPLEX math is NOT hard IF YOU PRACTICE. I didn't do the 120 SDN calculations because I didn't have time, but my friends said it was over-kill.

The last week, I reviewed all of my notes, mostly the handwritten ones on the big disease states. Then I took a pre-naplex 3 days before my east and scored an 80. I took a second one the next day and got a 96. BUT I kinda cheated a little and wish I didn't, I'm just super unconfident lol. It's not really a waste of money, it was nice to get a little confidence boost and to become comfortable with the time and format.

I went in this past Monday, 8/11/16, to take my test at 11:15. I had about an hour to spare. No joke, I absolutely guessed on anything that wasn't math related. Even one TPN problem I couldn't figure out and guessed. A lot of them I narrowed down, but wasn't sure of. I walked out feeling absolutely horrible. But guess what, everyone does! If you're religious, pray your heart out to pass. If you're not, go do something to get your mind off of it. I prayed. The day after my exam I went to an amusement park. I didn't get my score till Thursday and I was freaking out. I got a 109. How??? No idea, just don't freak out too much. If you can do the math, and you have SOME sort of working knowledge about brand/generics, great. After the test your mind WILL focus on all the hard ones and things you probably got wrong. That's normal. Don't try to look stuff up and go crazy.

I used RxPrep. I honestly wish I had RxPrep in school lol, it's amazing. Know your HIV brands. Know the Chemo Man. Know the classes of chemo drugs and where in the cycle chemo drugs and HIV drugs work. Know where HTN meds and NSAIDS work in the renal system. KNow as many unique side effects for stuff as you can remember. THe last question on my exam was one of these and I narrowed it down and I looked it up after and BOTH ANSWERS WERE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE MEDICATION. Like...do you see what Im talking about?! Crazy.

Anyway. You'll get through it. There's a 95% pass rate. More likely than not, even if you feel like you bombed it, you'll pass. But YES you will freak the hell out.

I have to retake my MA MPJE this month though, so if anyone has advice on that, please please please offer something! I don't want to take it a third time :(

I would love any notes you have from the first 20-25 chapters since I thought I could get away with studying from the 2014 edition. Anything you could provide would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks so much for your advice/help! I, too, just took the NAPLEX last week, but found out I scored a (failing) 73. I would love any notes you have from the first 20-25 chapters since I thought I could get away with studying from the 2014 edition. Anything you could provide would be so appreciated! Thanks!

sure, send me your email address and i'll send them out!

and yeah its best to use the latest version because NAPLEX LOVES to ask about new drugs and guidelines have changed since 2014 too

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you also send me your notes? I have an older version of RxPrep. Will be attempting my Naplex in a couple of weeks. Thank you so much for the advice! My email is [email protected]

MAKE SURE TO WATCH THIS VIDEO ****
I had a ton of questions that looked similar. GL to all

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Really happy for you getting through and appreciate your kindness for sharing the notes. I am taking the exam soon, please share your notes with me as well.. Thanks!!! My email: [email protected]

Hi, can u send me ur note too? [email protected]. Thanks

Hey can you send me your notes too email: [email protected] Thanks a lot in advance

Please email me as well the notes thanks!!! [email protected]

Hi I i just took my CPJE a dew days ago and it was horrible. I told my family that I had to guess most of it. Really bad but no results yet. Taking the NAPLEX in a few days, if you can send me your notes, I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to study again and move on when the first exam already tired the heck out of you. But oh well, this is the career we choose and hopefully everybody passes. My email is [email protected]

I had a 3.4-3.6 throughout school, and studied a *lot*. I was also typically in the first 10-20 people done with tests (out of about 140). That said, I've always felt like I wasn't retaining enough (I'm not naturally a memorizer), and I was worried enough about the NAPLEX that I set aside a month to study hard-core. I used RxPREP, and I'd already gone through some chapters during rotations, a couple of which I repeated.
I took the NAPLEX last Wednesday and haven't gotten my score yet, but I honestly don't think I passed... and I'm not just freaking out or being melodramatic. That is an honest assessment based on how much I guessed. I knew almost nothing on the test that was not math related.
I found the Pre-NAPLEX **much** easier than the actual NAPLEX. I can't stress that enough. It's the only reason I'm posting. The Pre-NAPLEX was so incredibly NOT indicative of the difficulty of the test, it's not even funny. It was a worse than a waste of time and money- it actually made me more comfortable and led me to let me guard down regarding the actual test. After lazily taking the Pre-NAPLEX, finishing in less than half the time allotted, and getting 100 about a week and a half before my testing date, I let my guard down too much and didn't study as much as I should have the last 1.5 weeks. I barely finished the NAPLEX (had to fly through the last 15 questions), and I had to completely guess on almost all non-math questions. It was way beyond 'minimum competency'. Don't let people convince you it's easy- you will regret it.

If you're someone that struggles with finishing on time (or even if you don't), I think the only helpful advice I can give is to *read the question first*. There is always way more information given than is needed, and you can easily spend 3-5 minutes going through a case... that then has nothing to do with the actual question. Save yourself some time & read the question first. Then, *if* the case has anything to do with the question, figure out what information could have an impact on the answer before you spend 3 minutes looking at multiple pages of background, lab values, echo results, short doctor notes, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Please email me your notes at [email protected]
Thank you so much!!

please send me your notes at [email protected]. Thank you!!

Can you please send me your notes on my email [email protected].

Thank you for posting! What do you think is necessary to know for vaccinations and drug structures? Having difficulty getting a handle on studying for
those. Thanks!

Can i get that note as well please? [email protected]