Name this flower

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strange flower from my backyard

Members don't see this ad.

That's not strange. That's iris!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! I didn't know the name.

irisol8.jpg

nice flower....very pretty!

it just popped up in your backyard? and you'd not seen one before.....see, yet another reason why NY is a superior state....they grow ALL over the place here;)

nice flower....very pretty!

it just popped up in your backyard? and you'd not seen one before.....see, yet another reason why NY is a superior state....they grow ALL over the place here;)

Oh hush.. I was just in your neighboring state...it was chilly and still mostly brown!!!! No, it's been there. I just didn't know the name of it.

Everytime I visit the East Coast.. I look at people and say.. Man, these people just don't know any better... :smuggrin:

Definitely iris, especially since "Iris" is written in cursive at the bottom of the photo ;) - they grow around my house in Virginia too.

Came awful close to getting the 40D today. But was told the 5D vII might be announced real soon (possibly even this week?). If it's a 40D with 15mp FF sensor...I'd be very tempted.
why does everyone get so jacked up about the megapixel count? With an SLR camera of that quality, it almost doesn't even matter anymore unless you plan on blowing it up to billboard size!

I wouldn't hold my breath on the new version. A June release is almost a sure bet that it will be August or September before you really see it. It seems like it's a lot of speculation and honestly, from what I am reading, looks like they are going to jack the price way up

Oh hush.. I was just in your neighboring state...it was chilly and still mostly brown!!!! No, it's been there. I just didn't know the name of it.

Everytime I visit the East Coast.. I look at people and say.. Man, these people just don't know any better... :smuggrin:
Just like when it's 100 degrees in Dallas, it's just a "dry" heat, right?

why does everyone get so jacked up about the megapixel count? With an SLR camera of that quality, it almost doesn't even matter anymore unless you plan on blowing it up to billboard size!

I wouldn't hold my breath on the new version. A June release is almost a sure bet that it will be August or September before you really see it. It seems like it's a lot of speculation and honestly, from what I am reading, looks like they are going to jack the price way up

Nikon peeps will always downplay megapixel.. because they're losing the war pathetically.. :smuggrin: If megapixel isn't important..then why do professionals shoot with 40mp medium format?

That being said..in order to increase the resolution by 2X, you have to quadruple the megapixel. So going from 12mp to 16mp isn't really a big deal.

I was at a spring football practice at A&M yesterday.. Nikon guys with black lenses just look inadequate..compared to the Canon guys..:smuggrin:

That being said... why wait for a new 5D and pay $3,000+ for a body? Give me a good reason. The new 5D will be nothing more than a 40D with a FF sensor. I will consider picking up a 5D if the body price drops to $1,500.. and that's a big maybe. I'm happy with my 20D..with 10,000 actuations now.

Well..mp count isn't what would entice me. If anything I don't want it to go too high.

But yeah...I'm not expecting it to be cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would save money with 40D and get decent lenses. UWA, Prime lens, medium range walkaround zoom, and telephoto zoom. And 8GB compact flash card.

Stop wasting bandwidth with all of this camera babble.

Nikon peeps will always downplay megapixel.. because they're losing the war pathetically.. :smuggrin: If megapixel isn't important..then why do professionals shoot with 40mp medium format?

That being said..in order to increase the resolution by 2X, you have to quadruple the megapixel. So going from 12mp to 16mp isn't really a big deal.

You answered your own question! Plus, the only manufacture of digital medium formats is Hassie. Not exactly your standard camera maker for joe blow jokers like us

epic said:
I was at a spring football practice at A&M yesterday.. Nikon guys with black lenses just look inadequate..compared to the Canon guys..:smuggrin:

That being said... why wait for a new 5D and pay $3,000+ for a body? Give me a good reason. The new 5D will be nothing more than a 40D with a FF sensor. I will consider picking up a 5D if the body price drops to $1,500.. and that's a big maybe. I'm happy with my 20D..with 10,000 actuations now.

I'd go cheaper too...you're not going to see much of a difference other than you can say you have the biggest toy out of the three of us!

vote me off the island if you don't like it, punk. Just click my signature!
:laugh:
I guess it's actually my fault. ;) I dug up the Hey Caver! thread to be your *cough* advocate *cough* show my support *cough* *cough*. :cool:

img0035bi1.jpg

img0050fj6.jpg

img0145gw6.jpg

img0091sb8.jpg

And I have some dust on my sensor...:mad:

img0048bg6.jpg

You answered your own question! Plus, the only manufacture of digital medium formats is Hassie. Not exactly your standard camera maker for joe blow jokers like us

No No No... there are at least 3 companies who make the digital back for medium formats.. and there remains quite a few Medium Digital cameras which can receive a digital back such as Mamiya 845.. I almost bought one 3 weeks ago.

I'd go cheaper too...you're not going to see much of a difference other than you can say you have the biggest toy out of the three of us!

Quite the contrary dood..

It will make a significant difference when you blow up the picture beyond 12 inches..

You would be impressed with my camera skills..
Camera skills are worthless if the object is boring!!! Maybe we could collaborate and make lots of money. I'll supply the entertainment, and you could photograph it. :D

how much did blow your pictures up by?

and Mamiya? they are not a consumer products company! They cater to professionals...not to wanna be's like us!

I didn't blow it up..

Some lady was selling a Mamiya body with 2 prime lenses for $600... I didn't act fast enough. She sold it. The 22mp digital back is $7,000.. so a medium format for less than $8,000? Why not.

My goal is to do landscape photography.... especially golf courses.

Camera skills are worthless if the object is boring!!! Maybe we could collaborate and make lots of money. I'll supply the entertainment, and you could photograph it. :D

OK..bring lingerie. I'll supply the studio light! :smuggrin:

And picture of these 2 football players caused a stir on A&M football board.. Not sure why! :rolleyes:

img0172da0.jpg

I didn't blow it up..

Some lady was selling a Mamiya body with 2 prime lenses for $600... I didn't act fast enough. She sold it. The 22mp digital back is $7,000.. so a medium format for less than $8,000? Why not.

My goal is to do landscape photography.... especially golf courses.
was she stupid or something or was there something wrong with it?

OK..bring lingerie. I'll supply the studio light! :smuggrin:
Hmmm.... only if it could be called "art".

Do you see when things complement each other in such a way that they have artistic "value"... juxtaposition if you will. I'm not talking about colors or textures. I'm talking about their intrinsic value.

was she stupid or something or was there something wrong with it?

You can pick up a Mamiya for a good price if you look hard enough. It's a film camera that can receive digital back. Same with Hassy.. you can pick up a nice Hassy for less than $1,000... then just get a digital back...and you have a Hassy Digital for less than $10,000.

Hmmm.... only if it could be called "art".

Do you see when things complement each other in such a way that they have artistic "value"... juxtaposition if you will. I'm not talking about colors or textures. I'm talking about their intrinsic value.

I don't know...I think the above picture of 2 football players is pretty artistic..:smuggrin:

There had to have been. Was it on ebay?

No. It was local. Mamiya 645 AF isn't that expensive.. some of the older versions require a $400 upgrade to receive digital back.

So you can get a Canon 1Ds Mark III for $8,000.. FF sensor and 22mp.. or you can get a mediucm format digital back.. I bet the medium format puts out better pictures.

You can pick up a Mamiya for a good price if you look hard enough. It's a film camera that can receive digital back. Same with Hassy.. you can pick up a nice Hassy for less than $1,000... then just get a digital back...and you have a Hassy Digital for less than $10,000.

yeah...chump change

I don't know...I think the above picture of 2 football players is pretty artistic..:smuggrin:
I've been frequenting this Russian/English site a good bit lately. They have lots of "interesting" pictures that fascinate me.

In this link, you'll see some sort of crack in the Earth's crust or maybe it's a shallow volcano. From the description, it's a burning gas pool. ????
The fourth picture down is my favorite. --> The line of sunset that is still lingering plus the black-out at the bottom really accent the "lava" area well, because it gives the picture a layered effect that makes it appear to be an entire "unit" instead of a picture focused on the "lava". The entire picture comes together.
http://englishrussia.com/?p=1830#more-1830

hey, it was 82 and sunny here yesterday! i have the sunburn to prove it!

nice pics....someday, i'll probably grab a 40D.