Name Dropping a Professor You're Interested in for Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clmed162

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a professor's research at a medical school but I'm wondering if it's ok to name drop the professor in the "Why Us" secondary? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in a professor's research at a medical school but I'm wondering if it's ok to name drop the professor in the "Why Us" secondary? Thanks!
Why not? There are no rules. I'm not sure it would actually move the needle, but at least it shows that you are paying attention and know something about them. JMHO as a fellow applicant who would not hesitate to do it if it were relevant to my application.

I think that would look better than what most people write for a "why ____ med school" prompt, since most people end up writing the same thing.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
You can mention the research without mentioning the faculty name. That’s the approach my kid took since you never know how long faculty will be there or any negative opinions about them among adcoms.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Have you met this professor and talked with him about the research and your interest ? If not do what @EdgeTrimmer said. Talk about your interest in the research area. Leave the professor’s name out of it.

Have you met this professor and talked with him about the research and your interest ? If not do what @EdgeTrimmer said. Talk about your interest in the research area. Leave the professor’s name out of it.
I'll make a rare disagreement with the wise Candy in this case, as name dropping tells us that you took the time to actually go through the school's website, instead of just looking at the Admissions page.

A caveat, in an interview, one might ask, "I see you were interested in Professor Kim's research". [you nod your head with enthusiasm]. What if you go into his/her lab and realize that Professor Kim is not a nice person????

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'll make a rare disagreement with the wise Candy in this case, as name dropping tells us that you took the time to actually go through the school's website, instead of just looking at the Admissions page.

A caveat, in an interview, once might ask, "I see you were interested in Professor Kim's research". [you nod your head with enthusiasm]. What if you go into his/her lab and realize that Professor Kim is not a nice person????
For UG, my kid mentioned the lab name and even listed the variety courses he is planning to take. Not only he got admission but got full tuition scholarship , but for medical school after hearing from adcoms here he played it safe. Can’t upset the picky adcoms 😀

Reactions: 1 user