nad+/NADH - hydrogen and electrons..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar21

professional crammer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to read over my bio because its my worst section and I really did not read it in-depth at first.. so I was studying cellular metabolism today and thought.... correct me if im wrong..

Say pyruvate is being oxidized, in which case NAD+ will be reduced... since its NAD+ it requires a hydride ion (H-) to make NADH.

The only way we can get this is by oxidizing pyruvate, removing 2 electrons and transferring those 2 electrons to a H+ ion, thereby reducing the H+ into a H-. Correct? Where does that H+ ion come from?

So, in the ETC... when NADH is being oxidized, it "releases" NAD+ and H-, the H- is oxidized and releases 2e- to make it H+. (aaaaand the 2e go through the ETC, whereas the h+ are pumped out yadda yadda)

Does that all make sense? Please correct me if im wrong. I just dont understand where/how the initial H- is formed? I mean, if pyruvate is oxidized and releases electrons.. they can be used to convert H+ into H-. But where does that INITIAL H+ come from???????????????? Also from pyruvate?

Members don't see this ad.