N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrumCondra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Time spent training in most residency and fellowship programs qualifies for PSLF as most hospitals are non-profit organizations under section 501(c).

Regarding attending positions, how common is it for the entity signing your paycheck to be a non-profit? Can some of the attendings weigh in on what their experiences have been like in the job market?

I know VA gigs qualify but the pay tends be on the lower side. I always went with the assumption that most academic jobs qualify too; however, I've recently learned that even at some non-profit academic hospitals the attendings are employed by a for-profit "faculty practice" or "medical group".

Thank you.
Your assessment is correct that academic centers are basically always 501c3 organizations and thus qualify for PSLF assuming you’re paid by the hospital or medical school entity. If as you describe you’re paid by a for profit medical group this would not qualify. Now, the only way to know is to ask if and when your interview for jobs who pays the salary. I asked on all my interviews and found out that a hybrid position that paid nearly 1.5x the academic role qualified because the salary was paid for by a not for profit medical group affiliated with the main hospital (ie more similar to an academic position that private in this case). My general (albeit somewhat naive opinion given I’ve only been in practice for 5 months) is that the problem you describe is less common than you think. Most academic hospital positions will qualify for PSLF. And the good news is that if you ask the question above about who pays the bills, then you’ll know in advance if it’ll qualify.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in rads but it was easy enough for me. I work for a non-profit hospital system and qualify for PSLF. I make about 1.5-2x academic salary and probably have to deal with about 1/3 the BS. Highly recommend.

Reactions: 4 users