Myths about Dr. Collins vs other study sources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmschooler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a ton of people on here concerned with getting Dr. Collins to study for the PCAT. When I first got on these boards, I was convinced this packet would help me score higher, so I bought it directly from Dr. Collins. Set me back a cool ~$300 or so. Wow!

Realistically, I should never have spent the money. I received a few hundred pages of poorly-edited, loose-leaf copies with ambiguous answers in the math and chemistry sections (the only sections I truly needed help studying). More to the point, the questions I found in these sections weren't very much like the items I saw on the PCAT. There was also a large vocabulary and reading comp section, but these weren't necessary for my use. If you need vocab and reading comp, they could be helpful, however. Too bad I'm not legally allowed to sell my Dr. Collins packet, because it was really a lot of money down the drain for me.

After doing poorly the first time I took the PCAT, I decided to really gear down and study. I purchased the practice tests through Pearson (they're online and about $60 per test; you can purchase 3 tests total) and took all of them and went over all the answers. This was a much better experience for me, because unlike Dr. Collins, the Pearson tests give the user a range of scores (for example, 60 - 80th percentile) where their score would most likely lie on the real test.

On my actual PCAT test, all my individual scores lay within the predicted areas. The Pearson pretests helped me to work on the areas I needed the most help because it also broke down your scoring into sections, such as geometry vs trigonometry. Using the Pearson tests and practicing, I was able to score much higher the second (and last!) time I took the PCAT. The math and chemistry sections were quite good, too. What I really liked was that the tests reflected actual content on the PCAT; they were much more aligned with what I later saw on my test. Very helpful!

In short...sure, you can buy Dr. Collins, but be aware it will mostly be helpful for vocab and reading comp, and it's very expensive! If you need help in science and math, buying tests through Pearson is a much cheaper move and will probably be more useful.

Good luck, all! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I planned on going through most of Dr. Collins (except kaplan for bio) and then taking the Pearson's tests a couple weeks before the exam

What is your recommendation for how to best use the Pearson tests?

What is your recommendation for how to best use the Pearson tests?
I took the first Pearson exam to get a sense of where my skills needed work. I went through all the problems afterward, especially the problems in areas that needed the most work, and solved them correctly according to the answers. I practiced these for a while until I was more confident with my missed answers (wrote down the questions I wanted to work on, as the Pearson tests can't easily be printed), then took the second test and did the same thing. I practiced until close to when I would take my actual PCAT, then took the third test and went over it, as I did the tests before. At this point, I had a good idea of where my scores would be in the various sections, and I didn't study much for about 3 - 4 days before, just to give myself a break.

I made sure to eat a really good breakfast and get a good night's rest the night before, too, which also made a big difference (I had trouble sleeping before my first PCAT). I also found it key to not drink too much caffeine before the test (there are long times without a bathroom break), but be sure to take a mini break if you have extra time during a section (for example, if you finish verbal 15 minutes early, take a break and get some water and use the restroom). Little things like this make a big difference. It's hard to divide when you can only think about the next bathroom break. :smuggrin:

I have not taken the pcat but I found Dr collins to be very similar and helpful for the pearson tests. I took a test as a diagnostic and studied dr collins and was able to fix all my missed questions. You said the actual pcat is similar to pearsons so Dr collins should be close to it too right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not taken the pcat but I found Dr collins to be very similar and helpful for the pearson tests. I took a test as a diagnostic and studied dr collins and was able to fix all my missed questions. You said the actual pcat is similar to pearsons so Dr collins should be close to it too right?
I didn't find that to be the case, at least in the math and science portions. Dr Collins didn't seem similar to what I studied on the Pearson tests, and didn't hit the same themes. The PCAT seems to allot certain numbers of questions to hitting certain central themes. The Pearson tests closely aligned with my actual PCAT. Dr. Collins didn't adequately prepare me for the real PCAT, partially because the explanations in Collins' work sometimes isn't that thorough and can be difficult to follow. The explanations for answers on the Pearson test were a lot more in depth on difficult questions. Studying with the Pearson tests was therefore a lot quicker (less time wasted looking up concepts) than with Dr. Collins, if that makes sense.

Buy Dr. Collins if you want, but know it's more expensive and probably not as accurate a prep source as Pearson's actual tests. If you want to use it to supplement your Pearson's tests, or you want it to review classes you haven't seen for a long time, it may be useful. However, if you have recently taken the classes needed for the PCAT and you still have your books, it probably won't be as useful for you as the Pearson tests alone. I think my big point is that Dr. Collins simply cannot replace the Pearson practice tests. They're really important; I'd highly suggest getting them. Believe me, you will thank me later!

One more note about testing:
If you use Pearson's tests, practice with a timer for all your sections. This will give you a better feeling for the real test's time constraints.

Last edited:
Different perspectives ... I used Dr. Collins, scored in the 99th percentile and I swear by it because I saw numerous questions that were either the same or INCREDIBLY similar to the exam.

Bottom line, different sources work for different students. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, but it worked BRILLIANTLY for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Different perspectives ... I used Dr. Collins, scored in the 99th percentile and I swear by it because I saw numerous questions that were either the same or INCREDIBLY similar to the exam.

Bottom line, different sources work for different students. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, but it worked BRILLIANTLY for me.
I also think your PhD experience in chemistry worked brilliantly for you...I also want to offer a different perspective as I chalked up your experiences and those of some others who sell their used packets on here as objective truths for PCAT study, but my own experience does not jibe with what I heard on here initially.

As I mentioned above, I think Dr. Collins' packets could make a good addition to a study regimen for the right person. I think it could work for people who need to practice vocabulary or reading or who haven't seen the material on the PCAT in a long time. For others...I think they might be better off starting with the Pearson tests and getting Dr. Collins in addition if they find they need more review of material or have an unlimited budget.

I can't say I don't have questions about Dr. Collins' packets as a business, either. Selling packets for over $300 that are just photocopied typewriter pages and not re-sellable is sketchy business, at best.

However, different things work for different people. Take my advice with a grain of salt, just as you should also take most all other PCAT advice given on here with a grain of salt.

One extra note I will throw out to those who need verbal ability and reading comp help:
Read (in English) every day. Read books before going to bed. Read for fun. Read journals. Read the newspaper. Read everything you can. When you see a word you don't know, write it down and look it up. Vocabulary is something you build over a lifetime. Study GRE word books, too, but make sure to read. It's really important, it's fun, and it's good for you!

Last edited:
Lovee this post so much very very informative, I was planning to buy a Collin; now I'll watch out for the reprints. And I'll be more open to other study guides.

Pharmschooler when did you take your pcat? Maybe Pearson saw that dr collins tests was very similar to theirs so they completely changed things up.

I also think your PhD experience in chemistry worked brilliantly for you...I also want to offer a different perspective as I chalked up your experiences and those of some others who sell their used packets on here as object truths for PCAT study, but my own experience does not jibe with what I heard on here initially.

As I mentioned above, I think Dr. Collins' packets could make a good addition to a study regimen for the right person. I think it could work for people who need to practice vocabulary or reading or who haven't seen the material on the PCAT in a long time. For others...I think they might be better off starting with the Pearson tests and getting Dr. Collins in addition if they find they need more review of material or have an unlimited budget.

I can't say I don't have questions about Dr. Collins' packets as a business, either. Selling packets for over $300 that are just photocopied typewriter pages and not re-sellable is sketchy business, at best.

However, different things work for different people. Take my advice with a grain of salt, just as you should also take most all other PCAT advice given on here with a grain of salt.

One extra note I will throw out to those who need verbal ability and reading comp help:
Read (in English) every day. Read books before going to bed. Read for fun. Read journals. Read the newspaper. Read everything you can. When you see a word you don't know, write it down and look it up. Vocabulary is something you build over a lifetime. Study GRE word books, too, but make sure to read. It's really important, it's fun, and it's good for you!

I don't know if your post is nearly as much as a presenting other options as it is a bashing of Dr. Collins' material, i.e. "myths about Dr. Collins." It's not necessarily about having materials as it is about how to use the materials that you have. It's quite obvious that you are disappointed with how you used the materials, however, there are NUMEROUS other people who used the materials well and received great success. If you decide to give a terse diatribe against one study aid, be prepared to read the alternate viewpoint on a message board.

If you expect a study guide to teach you the material, do NOT use Dr. Collins. Honestly, you should already know the material from taking classes prior to the PCAT. If you choose to take the exam prior to taking the recommended courses, you will reap what you sew. Now ... If you expect to have access to numerous practice exams that, IMO, strongly correlate to the questions and materials that you will see on the PCAT, I think that Dr. Collins is a great source.

FYI, my graduate work in Chemistry doesn't apply to my 90+ percentile scores in Quantitative, Biology, and Verbal reasoning nor does it have any direct impact on my 80+ percentile score in Reading Comprehension. I found that comment to be rather tacky.

I think that the Pearson exams were quite helpful for a few reasons. (1) Getting a fairly reliable estimate of your PCAT score. (2) I saw a few questions from the practice exams on the actual exam. (3) The timing aspect of the practice exams is GREAT. I liked both sources, but I believe that Dr. Collins was an exemplary study source on the exam.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm posting a different point of view from what I usually see here. I also mentioned it should be taken with a grain of salt, as should most all opinions. In my *opinion*, Dr. Collins is overpriced for what it is, and better information can be had for less money.

Congrats on your PCAT, chemguy. I'm glad it worked for you. I can also say that you are certainly not an average pharmacy applicant, and your success on the PCAT reflects not only your studying, but your superlative academic qualities. Just one more opinion, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pharmschooler when did you take your pcat? Maybe Pearson saw that dr collins tests was very similar to theirs so they completely changed things up.
September & January. I don't think things were totally changed up as I know for sure I saw an essay I'd seen on the last test in the reading comp section...

I heard that I can't print out the Pearson practice tests and I can't use them after January. Can anyone tell me how the pearson practice test works. Thanks!

sheilanguyen - Yes, I think its still no printing/saving on the tests & they expire - check before you buy. The process is like taking an online quiz / school test, you buy, you go through the all the sections, score & that's it. You can review the questions afterwards.

I heard that I can't print out the Pearson practice tests and I can't use them after January. Can anyone tell me how the pearson practice test works. Thanks!

Each question on the test is an individual page. They don't print pretty, but you technically *can* print them out, or save each question as a PDF. It would take a lot of paper, but it would be doable. Don't ask how I know this... :rolleyes:

hmm.. I thought printing was disabled... like all their other features. You could be right pharmschooler :) thx

hmm.. I thought printing was disabled... like all their other features. You could be right pharmschooler :) thx
You can print nearly anything from a Mac, it seems...whether you are supposed to or not...not sure if it makes a difference in this case, though.

you can print them by entering the print command in browser, not rocket science. and this is not restricted to macs.

I dont want spend money on collins test just as u. I only use pearson three tests. in jan 2014 i got a 65 on chem after only 50% understanding of the practice tests. now in nov 2014 i got a 28 after 93% mastery of chem from pearson prac test. I thought mastering all of the prac tests would boost my scores, but on the actual test i didn't see similar content. it was like wat is this? its easy but i don't know how to aproach it. but in bio, my score went from 51 jan 2014 to 79 nov 2014. for chem, i went from 48 to 65 in 13-14 cycle then 28 in 14-15 test cycle. sad..