myEMCert vs Concert

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had to do 4 this year, b/c my certification is up at the end of the year.

The long term plan, as currently announced, is you pay an annual fee (subscription model?) and need to pass 4 of these every 5 years…

Members don't see this ad.

They have a site to check what you, specifically, have to do…

If you are up in 2023 it says:

“What you need to do and when:

2019 - 2023:

• One Improvement in Medical Practice activity
  • Four MyEMCert modules or the ConCert Exam*
*The ConCert Exam will be discontinued after 2022.

2014 - 2018:

• One Improvement in Medical Practice activity
  • Four Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment tests
You may have already met some of these requirements.”

So yeah, you do 4 at your own pace by December 2023.

The you are re-certified until 12/31/2028… you’ll need to do 4 more from 2024-2028 to re-cert until 2033, etc etc etc…

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help.
I know I'm being dense about this; I just hate the whole idea and have been ostriched about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Four of these a year? Or four altogether and I'm done and then ABEM can eff off for another ten years?
New cycle is only five years. ABEM must have realized that most EP’s time horizon for getting the f—- out is somewhere between 5 and 10 years, and the old 10 year recert cycle would result in lost revenue. Now they can squeeze one more recert out of everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
New cycle is only five years. ABEM must have realized that most EP’s time horizon for getting the f—- out is somewhere between 5 and 10 years, and the old 10 year recert cycle would result in lost revenue. Now they can squeeze one more recert out of everyone.

Glad they aren't getting any more of my money!

Me either.
I looked, and it said I needed to do 4 LLSAs and I was like WhAAAAAt?
And then I realized that they didn't cost anything. Oh.
I knocked out two really fast. Still need to do 2 more by the end of 2024, but I'm not doing any of the MyEMCerts. I'm up in 2029, I'm boarded now as a Hospice Medical Director, so I'm going to let it expire because I'm not going back.

Me either.
I looked, and it said I needed to do 4 LLSAs and I was like WhAAAAAt?
And then I realized that they didn't cost anything. Oh.
I knocked out two really fast. Still need to do 2 more by the end of 2024, but I'm not doing any of the MyEMCerts. I'm up in 2029, I'm boarded now as a Hospice Medical Director, so I'm going to let it expire because I'm not going back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that currently, if you recertify for your EM subspecialty, you no longer need to keep your EM boards any longer. Is that what you're understanding, also?

Two things:

I hadn't done any LLSAs since passing my Concert. I wasn't going to do any and then realized a) they're free and b) there are (ahem) "concise reviews" online of the 2017 and 2018, which I knocked out pretty quickly. I only need the "participating in MOC" bit, but I'm not going to do anything that actually requires effort or payment at this point.

and I'm HMDC, which is not an ABMS board - it's a freestanding back door board which is narrower and focused only on hospice. Hence, lots of medicare regulatory stuff that isn't part of the HPM boards. And since I don't do (or want to do) palliative, it's a viable option for me.

There are 6 available currently. I’ve done and passed 4.

As expected @xaelia describes their nature in more elegant prose than I might.

Mostly they are immediately easy. Occasionally you’ll look up a question. More troublesome, some questions and answers have a certain degree of ambiguity where you may be torn by the “right” answer and what you think they want you to say.

Still, you should pass no issue, IMO. I am honestly very good at multiple-choice-tests, and have a pretty easy time understanding “what they want me to answer”, which has served me well throughout life. Even without that skill, with a pinch of double checking on google you’ll be fine.

And yes, I had a few repeat questions and certainly some repeated (HAMMERED INTO MY SKULL) topics. It’s the nature of the qbank and the way they pull from it.

I keep saying I think its a fine way to do MOC and keep people vaguely up-to-date, and a valid alternative to a once-a-decade big old test, but I honestly liked the LLSA articles and test MORE if the goal was to get all US ED Docs reading the same 10-20 core pieces of literature each year…