My virus lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post any more lectures here to SDN, as I recognize that's not the purpose of this forum, but I've received an overwhelming number of requests for a viruses presentation.

Bear in mind that viruses for the USMLE are preter-extensive. This presentation is in no way fully comprehensive; it is designed to be a quick, but super-high-yield collection of information on the viruses you need to know for the Step1.

I also discuss some HY antiviral tidbits at the end of the presentation.

~Phloston

-----

Here is a link to the first three lectures I posted here on SDN:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=994504

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• USMLE
    217.6 KB · Views: 2,483
Reactions: 2 users
I got so excited when I saw this post.. Thank you SOO much... the bacteria one was seriously golden

FWIW, your lectures are amazing.

Thanks for the virals, this is gonna help fill in the gaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't going to post any more lectures here to SDN, as I recognize that's not the purpose of this forum, but I've received an overwhelming number of requests for a viruses presentation.

Bear in mind that viruses for the USMLE are preter-extensive. This presentation is in no way fully comprehensive; it is designed to be a quick, but super-high-yield collection of information on the viruses you need to know for the Step1.

~Phloston

-----

you're a BAMF, thanks these are super helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Phloston,

Just went through some of your lectures. You have turned my most hated subject and made it enjoyable.

I will pay good money for the rest of your lectures (even if you do decide to give them all away for free). Set up a paypal and lets do this.

Shoot me a PM

Hey Phloston,

Just went through some of your lectures. You have turned my most hated subject and made it enjoyable.

I will pay good money for the rest of your lectures (even if you do decide to give them all away for free). Set up a paypal and lets do this.

Shoot me a PM

I would like to second this. Phloston, your lectures are very helpful !!!

i'd pay like up to $300 for you to make more of these lectures. seriously awesome. thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Phloston all you have to do is set up a PayPal account and we can all pay you for more lectures.
GIV US MOAR PLZ.

Hey Phloston,

Shoot me a PM

I'm in. Let me know if this is happening.

Why in the lecture do you classify Arenavirus as non-segmented? It has two segment RNA. Or is it just not enough to cause any significant genetic shifts?

Thanks

Why in the lecture do you classify Arenavirus as non-segmented? It has two segment RNA. Or is it just not enough to cause any significant genetic shifts?

Thanks

I think it is segmented. If I recall correctly, its part of BOAR

Thanks

I think it is segmented. If I recall correctly, its part of BOAR

FA 2012 p.186 & 187

yup

FA lists it as having two segments. The Microcards list Arenavirus as SS(-)-non-segmented. I've uploaded their algorithm just to prove I'm not on crack (look at the bottom right corner). But per Google search, it does in fact appear that arenavirus has two segments.

Microcards also say deltavirus is icosahedral, but FA says helical. Microcards also don't mention bunyavirus as circular, but FA does. There are a few discrepancies.

Attachments

• RNA viruses.jpg
    RNA viruses.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 362
FA lists it as having two segments. The Microcards list Arenavirus as SS(-)-non-segmented. I've uploaded their algorithm just to prove I'm not on crack (look at the bottom right corner). But per Google search, it does in fact appear that arenavirus has two segments.

Microcards also say deltavirus is icosahedral, but FA says helical. Microcards also don't mention bunyavirus as circular, but FA does. There are a few discrepancies.

Phloston, the newest version of the microcards has arenavirus under SS-segmented :).

Phloston, the newest version of the microcards has arenavirus under SS-segmented :).

I'm actually glad you mention this because some of my students have asked me whether it matters if they get the second vs third edition of the Microcards, but now I can say for sure that the third is a little better.

I'm actually glad you mention this because some of my students have asked me whether it matters if they get the second vs third edition of the Microcards, but now I can say for sure that the third is a little better.

i bet they incorporated your suggestion into the third edition :).

~Phloston

-----

Phloston thanks for these power points! I passed them along to my friends and everyone thought they were amazing...wishing you the best of luck

Phloston thanks for these power points! I passed them along to my friends and everyone thought they were amazing...wishing you the best of luck
hey im trying to download the information from pholston, it seems like you were successful, any way you can share them with me? i would really appreciate it!!!!

Is anyone else unable to open this on a PC? Is there an alternative link somewhere or can someone repost in a different format?

Your help is really appreciated- thanks in advance!! Good karma to ya