My University isn't letting me advance in math or science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaintedCactus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college, University of California, Riverside, won't let me advance in math courses because I'm an Anthropology Major and it's not required. I can't because of this even advance into science courses (bio, chem, ochem, physics, etc.) and this really messes up my dreams of attending medical school. Can i take these courses at a CC or is that bad? All I've ever dreamed of doing when i got older was becoming an ER Physician and this is ruining it all.

Also, can a college denied me access to a class? Like what if i was a 3rd year and wanted/decided to do medicine after years of wanting to do something else? Would they still deny my petition and tell me I cant do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you add a biology or biochemistry minor with Pre-Med emphasis? I do not know how this works at your school, but I could guess that adding a science minor might help with that issue.

I do not know how taking courses at CC would work. Around me, our CC does not offer classes past a certain point, so biochem was definitely out of the picture there.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing is, when I first began college, i never took the basic level math course. That being said, when i tried to register for it my 2nd year, the academic affairs office denied my request indefinitely. Their reason behind it was because i wasn't freshmen standing anymore and that if i do decide to go with pre-med, I might take extra quarters. Here, they don't want student exceeding 4 years because it looks bad on the school's image. Without taking that basic math course, I can't do anything math or science related, even if that meant changing my major. Heck, I can't even switch to psychology because that requires a math course. I feel like I've failed my parents and myself for getting in this mess and I don't know what to do anymore. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You should read through the university hand book and see if what they told you is actually true. I have plenty of friends that majored in something in the college of liberal arts yet still took science courses at my university, so I don't see why UC Riverside would stop you from doing that.

You should read through the university hand book and see if what they told you is actually true. I have plenty of friends that majored in something in the college of liberal arts yet still took science courses at my university, so I don't see why UC Riverside would stop you from doing that.

Where would I find this handbook? I mean they're basically telling me not to pursue my dream and it's really depressing. And they won't even let me take this stupid math course somewhere else. Not to mention, its a quick online course too!

Are you talking to an advisor in your college or specifically a pre-med advisor? A pre-med advisor should have the ability to give you a permit to enroll you in classes that pre-requisites for medical school

Are you talking to an advisor in your college or specifically a pre-med advisor? A pre-med advisor should have the ability to give you a permit to enroll you in classes that pre-requisites for medical school

Ive talked to everyone i possibly could. They're really adamant in their decision and are very unprofessional. I'm thinking it might also be because I'm getting significant financial aid and maybe they wouldn't want to support me past 4 years? they've given me other options (nursing, physical therapy, etc.) but I've always had my heart set on MD. My advisor is no use and the health professions advising center at this school doesn't know too much. I've reached out to friends and cousins but they've all gone strictly through the pre-med course and haven't had problems like this.

Last edited:
Ive talked to everyone i possibly could. They're really adamant in their decision and are very unprofessional. I'm thinking it might also be because I'm getting significant financial aid and maybe they wouldn't want to suport me past 4 years? they've given me other options (nursing, physical therapy, etc.) but I've always had my heart set on MD. My advisor is no use and the health professions advising center at this school doesn't know too much. I've reached out to friends and cousin but they've all gone strictly through the pre-med course and haven't had problems like this.

Worst case scenario is you do a DIY postbacc after graduation. Not ideal but not the end of the world. I would still try to find a way to take these classes at your undergrad since you have a scholarship. Maybe change your major if you're willing and are able to or add a minor like someone else suggested. That way you can at least knock out some of the other pre med requirements

Reactions: 1 users
Many financial aid programs max out after certain credit hours, which usually equates to around four years. It seems strange that they won't let you add a minor or maybe even a second major. But I can't say that I'm familiar with a school that does that. I would agree with the poster as they said above about checking your student policies. They're usually available online through the school website. Or some schools still provide or make available to purchase an official agenda book which has the policies in the front. My school did that at least.

Worst case scenario is you do a DIY postbacc after graduation. Not ideal but not the end of the world. I would still try to find a way to take these classes at your undergrad since you have a scholarship. Maybe change your major if you're willing and are able to or add a minor like someone else suggested. That way you can at least knock out some of the other pre med requirements

They wont even let me change my major to something else if the new major has math/science requirements. I basically can't do anything without this math course and they are not letting me take it bc it's supposedly a freshmen only class. No one mentioned this to anyone nor did they tell us we could only take it freshmen year. i mean if i do do a DIY postbacc, can i take some classes at a CC? Or would it be best if i did a second bachelor's?

Many financial aid programs max out after certain credit hours, which usually equates to around four years. It seems strange that they won't let you add a minor or maybe even a second major. But I can't say that I'm familiar with a school that does that. I would agree with the poster as they said above about checking your student policies. They're usually available online through the school website. Or some schools still provide or make available to purchase an official agenda book which has the policies in the front. My school did that at least.

Thank you! I'll def look into that. I just can't believe they are literally telling me 'NO'. At least I'm trying to do something good for myself and others but they won't let me.

Or would it be best if i did a second bachelor's?
Are you planning on moving out of CA or enrolling in a private institution for this? UCs and CSUs are impacted and the majority don't allow second bachelor's degrees except in very specific majors such as nursing, etc.

I graduated from UCR in 2015. Maybe I can chime in. From what I’m understanding, UCR won’t let you take the intro level classes you need because they’re put on hold for freshman/majors that need it as a pre-requisite, right? Are you allowed to enroll into them once the second enrollment window opens up? Is UCR specifically blocking you from changing your BA to a BS? If so, UCR offers a BA in Neuroscience which should give you priority for the math/science courses you need. You could also take the basic maths course you need at a neighboring university the following quarter (make sure the units are transferable for that exact math course), and that should give you access to the science courses you’re hoping to enroll in. I’ve had terrible experiences with the academic advisors at UCR, and often they’d offer incorrect advise. You need to shop around for advise. I wouldn’t be surprised if your advisor is just being lazy. I switched majors from Biology to Neuroscience my second year, and the process was migraine inducing. If you really are locked into your major, there are some amazing career changer track programs offered in CA. Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science and CSUEB’s PHAP both offer amazing programs. I personally attended CSUEB’s PHAP as an academic enhancer, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I graduated from UCR in 2015. Maybe I can chime in. From what I’m understanding, UCR won’t let you take the intro level classes you need because they’re put on hold for freshman/majors that need it as a pre-requisite, right? Are you allowed to enroll into them once the second enrollment window opens up? Is UCR specifically blocking you from changing your BA to a BS? If so, UCR offers a BA in Neuroscience which should give you priority for the math/science courses you need. You could also take the basic maths course you need at a neighboring university the following quarter (make sure the units are transferable for that exact math course), and that should give you access to the science courses you’re hoping to enroll in. I’ve had terrible experiences with the academic advisors at UCR, and often they’d offer incorrect advise. You need to shop around for advise. I wouldn’t be surprised if your advisor is just being lazy. I switched majors from Biology to Neuroscience my second year, and the process was migraine inducing. If you really are locked into your major, there are some amazing career changer track programs offered in CA. Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science and CSUEB’s PHAP both offer amazing programs. I personally attended CSUEB’s PHAP as an academic enhancer, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much for your input! So basically I have to take arc035 to advance into any other 'important' math/science course. However they are preventing me from even taking Arc035. That's my biggest problem right now. Even if I didn't qualify to do the life sciences course (the course they use for pre med) I'm still not being able to do anything. They're telling me that even to switch into neuro or psychology, I need to do math but I can't because they won't let me take Arc! It's sooooo frustrating. I don't understand why they can't just let me take the stupid class. It's not even a lecture. Just a online quick little thing. I can't even try to take Arc anywhere else because it's a 'UCR level requirement'. I can change my anthro BA to a BS I think and that shouldn't be a problem but I'm practically stuck doing only that. Every other -important- major requires some form of math but I can't do... I honestly don't know who or what to turn to.

Are you planning on moving out of CA or enrolling in a private institution for this? UCs and CSUs are impacted and the majority don't allow second bachelor's degrees except in very specific majors such as nursing, etc.

I honestly don't care where I go as long as I end up doing something that I love. I'm also trying not to do a second bachelors but change my major if I could to something that pertains to medicine. UCR specifically isn't letting me change nor is it letting me advance to other higher level course bc I didn't take the basic level math course my freshmen year. That being said, without taking that class I can't do anything math or science related. I've basically missed my mark at this point and I don't know what to do except for try to take all the prerequisites somewhere else like a CC