My tough situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto hopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your undergrad GPA/OAT are strong, I don't think it'll matter that you failed out of med school. If you had 3.6/350 and a med school failure, are you truly "worse" than a 3.3/330? The schools will ultimately have to make some kind of decision, but there are boatloads of 3.3/330s who will apply - so if your undergrad marks are higher than theirs, I don't think the med school will factor in much.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hide that part. In fact I find it rediculous that you would even consider hiding that part. To me that is just lying and personally I don't want somebody in my profession that hides parts of their career to look better. So I would just be honest and ask the schools what they think. Most schools are very helpful and would be more than willing to give you advice and help you out with your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell the truth. It may require an embarassing explanation at your interview, but were it to come out later (and it probably would), it would have a lot more repercussions.

Careers have been sunk when lies are uncovered on resumes' This won't be something that automatically excludes you from being accepted.

Also keep in mind that admission offices read forums like these.

k...

Just use the 5 W's approach.

Who- admin committee, anyone else?
What- your med school records
Where- where and who could they(1st W) seek out to obtain information about you?
When- could they find out after you are admitted?
Why- so you had a good GPA and did not go to school after undergrad (assuming ur hiding the fact that you went to md school) why did you not continue your education etc.

Basically, there are many ways to look at this. If you wish to hide the fact that you went/failed med school, and there is nothing wrong about this, then I suggest you look at all plausible scenarios.

I would report the foreign med school (you never know these days) and write a solid personal statement explaining your situation. Maybe your heart wasn't set in med school? Obviously you have now found a passion for optometry. Motivation can also play a huge factor in how well you do in your studies.

definitely disclose the med school fiasco. it will likely have more effect on you if you don't tell them and they never find out, than if you did tell them. meaning, you are the one who will have to live with it. "the truth will set you free."

When you submit your application, you are agreeing that all the information is truthful to the best of your knowledge. Every application I filled out specifically asked if I have been enrolled in another professional school. Therefore, this isn't a "but they didn't ask me about it" cop out situation.

If you lie and hide this information, and that lie is the difference between you being accepted and not being accepted, then you are not actually qualified for that school based on their standards. You would be taking the place of someone who did not lie on their application and in fact is more qualified than you. There's a great chance that you won't HAVE TO lie to get into school... but would you really want to have to think about whether it was a bold-faced lie that sneaked you into school, or whether you actually deserved it?

There's a reason why they want to know that information. I think its a fair question for them to ask you how you think you'll be able to handle a similar environment the second time around when you couldn't handle it not too long ago.