...my thoughts on nycpm...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Yesterday i took my last final for this first semester at NYCPM and im here to share my experience this semester in detail ...

The academics here are excellent and match up to all other pod schools. Here they throw at you what you need and even supplement you with material ( papers, EBM, etc.) for those that want to go above and beyond ... in classes such as Histo, Biochem, Genetics, etc.. Throughout the semester i kept in contact with friends of mine in Barry, Ohio, DMU, and Temple ... i would always match up what we would learn in the same classes that we would take ( i.e. if we were both are taking Histo) and we would be on point with each other , same level of depth, similar testing style , etc. Thus, there is no doubt about the quality of education here. As long as your not lazy you will be provided with what you need to pass your boards and become a good doctor.

The professors here are also qualified to teach, they are either MDs or Phds from Mount Sinai school of medicine ( so far for these pre-clinical courses). They would teach and test in the same way they would provide the course over there. Ive had extensive conversations with them about this topic. I also enjoyed how they would integrate podiatry related issues into the courses they would teach such as Histology and Biochem.

The area the college is in is not bad at all or "dangerous". Although its in Harlem, Harlem is undergoing rapid change and its not the Harlem of the past and most importantly if your minding your own business no one will do anything to you, this same principle can be applied to almost anywhere.

What i dislike about the school is the grading system, it is extremely tough to excel with what they have in place :

AH 97-100 4.0

A 93-96 4.0

A- 90-92 3.7

B+ 87-89 3.3

B 83-86 3.0

B- 80-82 2.7

C+ 77-79 2.3

C 73-76 2.0

C- 70-72 1.7 Minimum passing grade

FC- 70 1.7 Maximum grade upon successfully completing a retest

F less than 70 0.0

I believe that this is by far the toughest out of all the podiatry schools so it really amazes me when people speak "garbage" of this school. If you get an "A" here you truly deserve it, you must be near perfect on all your exams and even on the final otherwise you could easily slip into the A- range. And then if you notice there is an even bigger drop in points if you hit the B+ range. This can get very frustrating as it can take a toll on your final GPA.

Another issue I disliked is how the school would physically and mentally wear you down. I have taken 31 exams this semester, not quizzes, exams. On any exam questions would range from 30 - 50 ( excluding finals of course, those would be way more). Take for example, Bacteriology, we had six exams ... this gets very frustrating. Although it may help a student who is doing poorly, it can potentially harm a student that is excelling because one bad grade and you could loose the "A" in the class. Also with this amount of tests in place, the schedule was set to 2 -3 exams per week after Sept. 16, it was never less than that. That gives you literally no time to breathe and you must always be studying and stressing on the weekends and weekdays, if you were a student that wants to excel and achieve the highest grades you possibly can. This school is no joke. Other schools go a little easier on you when it comes to testing. Any test you take at NYCPM goes towards your GPA.

That is about it. I believe this is what matters and everything else is trivial to me, so i wont address it. My class of 2013 is very hard working and competitive and so it seems are other classes in other podiatry schools, hopefully other classes that follow only keep getting more and more, this will be very promising for the future of this field and is exactly what we need.

Members don't see this ad.

Double posting is a violation of SDN TOS. Please place posts in the one forum that you feel most appropriate. Thread closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.