My thoughts after a brief UMiami tour.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrailBlazer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am putting this out there for people seeking information beyond what you can find on the website.

I spoke with Jhelane Vega, the manager of admissions at UM, and arranged for a brief tour since I was in the area. She's incredibly helpful and if you have any questions regarding UM admissions, don't hesitate to e-mail or call her.

The Plumer Building, which houses everything except for the anatomy lab, is a mixed use building, and the PT department uses mostly the 3rd and 5th floor. It's off a main road and parking didn't seem to be a problem. It's on the edge of the campus, but the campus isn't that large anyways. There was at least 5 bikes from students in the building, which is a good sign to me. As a student you have access to the building 24/7 via keycode. There was 3 or 4 main classrooms on the 3rd floor, and the majority of students were on their laptops during lecture. I believe they have the ability to follow the powerpoint directly on their laptop and that they are trending towards being more 'green' by becoming more digital. As a first year you get paired up with a 2nd year student as a mentor, and about 6 students are assigned a faculty adviser.

One of the classrooms had a bunch of padded mats that can be placed on the desks during practical exercises. You are teamed up with 1 other person for those.

There's lots to do in the area and class activities seem to be common. They are big on intramural sports too. If I had to guess, rent will run you between $800-1300 a month, depending on how fancy you want to be. It seems to be mostly apartments that are affordable. Tuition is $10k a semester, regardless of credit load.

The anatomy lab is the only thing that's not within the Plumer building and most students ride the metro-rail just across the street to take them there. There's a large list of electives available and you can take as many as you'd like, the minimum is 3.

Overall, I left with a positive impression of the place and if I don't get in via early decision to Duke or Armstrong (havn't decided yet), I will definitely be applying to UM. I will be applying for the class starting in 2015.

Feel free to ask me anything else I may not have covered.

Members don't see this ad.

TrailBlazer,

Thank you very much for your post! I am from Maryland and will be traveling down to UMiami in a couple months for an interview on 11/1. I have heard mixed reviews from individuals who visited their campus and facilities; some were impressed and some were not. However, individuals having different opinions is always something that will happen.

This was very helpful. I'm happy to hear you had a positive experience since I'm spending a good chunk of change to fly down for the interview myself. I'm sure I'll think of a couple questions to ask you in the next couple of weeks!

Erin

Hey Erin,
How long after having your app verified by PTCAS did you hear about your interview? Did you submit a while ago?I just submitted my application a few days ago and was surprised how fast I got verified. I thought it would be a few weeks at least.
Great information trailblazer, thanks so much for sharing!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Small school, Big name" is how Ms.Vega put it to me. Miami is my #1 choice good luck.

Hey Erin,
How long after having your app verified by PTCAS did you hear about your interview? Did you submit a while ago?I just submitted my application a few days ago and was surprised how fast I got verified. I thought it would be a few weeks at least.
Great information trailblazer, thanks so much for sharing!

Hello,

I finished my PTCAS on 7/15 and it was sent to my schools on 8/6.

UMiami emailed me with an interview offer on 9/5.

I hope this helps!

Erin