My "Theoretical" study schedule, Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First week nothing but QR, for the sole reason to get my math skills up to par for chemistry.

Then about 2 weeks on nothin but chemistry

Then another 2 weeks doing 5 hours a day of Orgo and another hour doing chemistry to keep my skills up.

So thats a month and a week.

Then im going to review Biology 4 hours a day for 2 weeks, while doing 1 hour on orgo and 1 hour on Chem.

Then one week of chem, orgo, and PAT, 2 hours each every day

So im at 2 months, starting to study May 15, Im now at July 15.

Last 2 weeks, Nothing but practice tests and reviewing my weak areas and developing strategies for the test, especially RC and PAT

Any comments or anything?? Think this is viable or what did you do? Thanx for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

How many practice tests do you have? I would personally spread them out over the entire period rather than do a bunch the last month. I had 10 practice tests and I did one a week. After you take a test, it really helps you zero in on weak areas. More importantly, it helps you practice time management...especially for RC, QR, and PAT.

However, your total plan sounds pretty organized and efficient.

Chrono1984 said:
How many practice tests do you have? I would personally spread them out over the entire period rather than do a bunch the last month. I had 10 practice tests and I did one a week. After you take a test, it really helps you zero in on weak areas. More importantly, it helps you practice time management...especially for RC, QR, and PAT.

However, your total plan sounds pretty organized and efficient.
Well havent really begin shopping for the practice tests, but i will have the ones that come with kaplan book, topscore, DAT achiever, and any other ones i can get a hold of... So take one test a week to focus on the weak areas eh?? Do you think it would be effective to study for 2 weeks before i take the first test? Because i honestly dont remember a whole lot from chem, but im sure some of it will come back. Thanx for the reply!

A little review wouldn't hurt..but you would be surprised how fast it comes back. I got 6, yes 6 out of 30 gen chem questions correct on my first diagnostic test. I just couldn't recognize anything.

It took about a day or two of solid gen chem review to realize how quickly it comes back. Even if you blew off chemistry, you will probably recognize how easy it is to manipulate pv=nrt for almost every problem that involves calculations. The acid/base stoichiometry also comes back very fast. The rest is just review. Periodic trends, solubility rules, hess's law, phase shifts, blah blah blah.

Chemistry is my worst subject by far, but I feel it is easiest to master/re-learn. Biology is random and very broad, ochem requires a good deal of memorization. Gen chem involves remembering a few core concepts/equations, than the rest just falls into place. Kaplan is kinda weak on practice problems though...so if you can get your hands on an analytical chem book or anything that has similar word problems, go for it.

I would take a diagnostic test before any studying just to see where you are at. You will save yourself time if you realize you don't need to review concepts such as "the atom" and what an electron is. If you don't know what an electron is, than by all means, review...a lot.

Well just my opinions. I actually haven't taken the test yet...saturday is fast approaching though! I am just going off of my own results and methods. By taking those tests over a long period of time, you can evaluate your own growth/regression and realize what you need to study and what not to bother with. They also will help you adjust study habbits if what you are doing isn't working. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chrono1984 said:
A little review wouldn't hurt..but you would be surprised how fast it comes back. I got 6, yes 6 out of 30 gen chem questions correct on my first diagnostic test. I just couldn't recognize anything.

It took about a day or two of solid gen chem review to realize how quickly it comes back. Even if you blew off chemistry, you will probably recognize how easy it is to manipulate pv=nrt for almost every problem that involves calculations. The acid/base stoichiometry also comes back very fast. The rest is just review. Periodic trends, solubility rules, hess's law, phase shifts, blah blah blah.

Chemistry is my worst subject by far, but I feel it is easiest to master/re-learn. Biology is random and very broad, ochem requires a good deal of memorization. Gen chem involves remembering a few core concepts/equations, than the rest just falls into place. Kaplan is kinda weak on practice problems though...so if you can get your hands on an analytical chem book or anything that has similar word problems, go for it.

I would take a diagnostic test before any studying just to see where you are at. You will save yourself time if you realize you don't need to review concepts such as "the atom" and what an electron is. If you don't know what an electron is, than by all means, review...a lot.

Well just my opinions. I actually haven't taken the test yet...saturday is fast approaching though! I am just going off of my own results and methods. By taking those tests over a long period of time, you can evaluate your own growth/regression and realize what you need to study and what not to bother with. They also will help you adjust study habbits if what you are doing isn't working. Good luck.
Thanx for the advice chrono! Im pretty sure i know what the atom is though :p Ya you are right, the first day i sit down and study, i need to take the diagnostic test on kaplans webpage or somthing to see where im at. Anyone else have any comments or anything on my schedule? Thanx!

golfmontpoker said:
Thanx for the advice chrono! Im pretty sure i know what the atom is though :p Ya you are right, the first day i sit down and study, i need to take the diagnostic test on kaplans webpage or somthing to see where im at. Anyone else have any comments or anything on my schedule? Thanx!

You and your posting about the stupid DAT! I swear to god, you are pre-ruining my summer here. :mad: :mad: :mad:

amsie said:
You and your posting about the stupid DAT! I swear to god, you are pre-ruining my summer here. :mad: :mad: :mad:
:laugh: :laugh: Well its time to come to grasps about it! hell its only like 3 weeks away :scared: Might as well get prepared now for the long haul ya know princess ;)

golfmontpoker said:
:laugh: :laugh: Well its time to come to grasps about it! hell its only like 3 weeks away :scared: Might as well get prepared now for the long haul ya know princess ;)

grrrrrrrrrmph. let me enjoy my 32 days of seniordom,drunken nights,parties,and such..then remind me of this garbage again.

(i still cant believe im giving my entire summer to this.godfvkingdamnit)

-princess

amsie said:
grrrrrrrrrmph. let me enjoy my 32 days of seniordom,drunken nights,parties,and such..then remind me of this garbage again.

(i still cant believe im giving my entire summer to this.godfvkingdamnit)

-princess
:laugh: :laugh: I feel you 100%... its gonna SUCK BAD. Dont get me wrong though, im going to live it up the next couple weeks, and THEN have no life... But it will be worth it all in the end, and you know it ;)

golfmontpoker said:
:laugh: :laugh: I feel you 100%... its gonna SUCK BAD. Dont get me wrong though, im going to live it up the next couple weeks, and THEN have no life... But it will be worth it all in the end, and you know it ;)

im doing the summer thing with my best friend(we're taking kaplan together, etc etc), so hopefully the fact that shes going to be my 7AM wakeup call every morning will motivate me to actually study. crap. undergrad was all memorization.hopefully i can do the same for this effing test.

btw, you just totally ruined my night.THANKS golfmontpokertardo :mad:

golfmontpoker said:
First week nothing but QR, for the sole reason to get my math skills up to par for chemistry.

Then about 2 weeks on nothin but chemistry

Then another 2 weeks doing 5 hours a day of Orgo and another hour doing chemistry to keep my skills up.

So thats a month and a week.

Then im going to review Biology 4 hours a day for 2 weeks, while doing 1 hour on orgo and 1 hour on Chem.

Then one week of chem, orgo, and PAT, 2 hours each every day

So im at 2 months, starting to study May 15, Im now at July 15.

Last 2 weeks, Nothing but practice tests and reviewing my weak areas and developing strategies for the test, especially RC and PAT

Any comments or anything?? Think this is viable or what did you do? Thanx for the help!

Wow!! That's pretty organized..I do my thing totally different. I study everyday except sundays at least 6-8 hours. On mondays/wed/fri, I study bio for 2 1/2 hours, chem 2 hours, math 2 1/2 hours, and pat/reading for 1 1/2 hour. On Tue/thur/sat, I only take practice test except reading.

Definitely take a practice test when you begin to see where you are. I also think it's a good idea to take practice tests as you go to keep an eye on your progress.
Other than that, if you keep to your schedule you should kill the DAT. :cool:

One of the keys is spreading the studying out. Be careful not to burn yourself out early and then try to cram the last week. I prepped for about 2 months last summer but I slowly ramped up my studying throughout the summer. Of course I was working part time and take O-chem 2 at the time. For the first month I studied 2-3 days a week for maybe 4 or 5 hours. Then I ramped up to 4-5 days a week as I got closer. Then the last week I took three practice tests and reviewed weak spots. I think i ended up taking about 7 practice exams. I aso took the in classroom Kaplan class to help keep me on schedule. This what worked for me, but finding your own formula will be the key to your success.

Good Luck

jmac44 said:
Definitely take a practice test when you begin to see where you are. I also think it's a good idea to take practice tests as you go to keep an eye on your progress.
Other than that, if you keep to your schedule you should kill the DAT. :cool:

One of the keys is spreading the studying out. Be careful not to burn yourself out early and then try to cram the last week. I prepped for about 2 months last summer but I slowly ramped up my studying throughout the summer. Of course I was working part time and take O-chem 2 at the time. For the first month I studied 2-3 days a week for maybe 4 or 5 hours. Then I ramped up to 4-5 days a week as I got closer. Then the last week I took three practice tests and reviewed weak spots. I think i ended up taking about 7 practice exams. I aso took the in classroom Kaplan class to help keep me on schedule. This what worked for me, but finding your own formula will be the key to your success.

Good Luck

Cool, i will definately take that into consideration... You are right, if i stick to that schedule, 6 hours a day 7 days a week, i will DEFINATELY be burnt out... So i will definatey take your advice on "ramping" up towards the test day and take some practice tests on the way. I think the main thing to do is stick to the schedule and find my forumla... I hope this works for me. Thanx for the input everyone! anyone else?