My test is in 1 month...does it make sense to skip all 3rd party FL to solely work on AAMC material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiadreaming93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken 2 FL already. I think they're great for practicing endurance, however, I think it may be more beneficial to just review the material created by the publishers of the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have an idea of your weak spots, I'd suggest focused practice rather than content review. Lots of studies show that forcing yourself to recall information helps with retention better than reviewing (reading and re-reading and re-re-reading...) material. Khan Academy has lots of practice passages and standalone questions that were developed with guidance from the AAMC, and you can focus on subjects that are giving you trouble.

Then you can always take FL along the way to track progress/help direct your focused practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have an idea of your weak spots, I'd suggest focused practice rather than content review. Lots of studies show that forcing yourself to recall information helps with retention better than reviewing (reading and re-reading and re-re-reading...) material. Khan Academy has lots of practice passages and standalone questions that were developed with guidance from the AAMC, and you can focus on subjects that are giving you trouble.

Then you can always take FL along the way to track progress/help direct your focused practice.
Ok, thanks for the insight! I thought about doing a FL tomorrow....just to say, "I did another FL." I would much rather practice on those weak areas, then go into a FL knowing that I'm not solid in a couple of topics.

Do you know anything about the correlation betwween NS and AAMC exams?