My story, chances of being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mim324

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the first couple of years of my college life sucked. I have about 4 F's and 7 D's which includes a D in Bio 1, D in ochem 1, a D in physics 1, and a F in chem 1. The others are just random science classes. I retook physics 1 and got a B, ochem 1 and got a C and bio 1 and got a B, and a A in chem 1. I took 15 additional online non prerequisite classes every semester for three semesters (totaling 30 units of classes each semester) and Aced all the online classes and got grades higher than a C in the prerequisite classes that I took in class (not online). My science GPA went from a 2.0 to a 2.7 by doing all this. What are my chances? (im crazy for doing this but im trying my best to recover)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly that is gonna be hard to work with, however if you can do well in the PCAT as well as supplement the application with some extracurricular activities and further improve that GPA then you will have a chance to interview at some places. It would most likely have improved your situation substantially if some of those retakes of courses yielded much better results. Overall it should still be workable/doable just going have to be selective in your research from viable schools.

So, the first couple of years of my college life sucked. I have about 4 F's and 7 D's which includes a D in Bio 1, D in ochem 1, a D in physics 1, and a F in chem 1. The others are just random science classes. I retook physics 1 and got a B, ochem 1 and got a C and bio 1 and got a B, and a A in chem 1. I took 15 additional online non prerequisite classes every semester for three semesters (totaling 30 units of classes each semester) and Aced all the online classes and got grades higher than a C in the prerequisite classes that I took in class (not online). My science GPA went from a 2.0 to a 2.7 by doing all this. What are my chances? (im crazy for doing this but im trying my best to recover)

Why did the first years suck? Be prepared to answer that in an interview, if not here.
Furthermore, why did you get a C in Organic Chemistry 1? What about #2?

You need to take the PCAT and do extremely well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have chances. Get a pharmacy experience, do some extracurricular activities. And like Amicable said, be ready to answer why your first year sucked.

I hate to be a downer, but majority of pharmacy schools look for a minimum 3.0 overall and science GPA. But some pharmacy schools I've heard actually accept a minimum of 2.7 GPA so you might want to look into those schools (that is if you would be willing to go out of state). tehshield makes a good point though. Sure your GPA might not be as competitive as other applicants, but if you can do very well on the PCAT (I would say based on your GPA, at least 90th percentile aim for), then that could balance it out. Also extracurricular always can improve your chances depending on what school you're applying to. Some schools look at extracurricular more than others so if you hear that's the case with the school you're applying to, I would say look to get a pharmacy tech job, shadow a pharmacist, and/or volunteer at a local hospital. Usually anything related to the medical field regarding your extracurricular would boost your chances. But all in all, the best advice I can give you is not to feel discouraged and work to your fullest potential to improve. If you do very well on the PCAT, your chances will be a lot higher.

Good Luck!

I hate to be a downer, but majority of pharmacy schools look for a minimum 3.0 overall and science GPA. But some pharmacy schools I've heard actually accept a minimum of 2.7 GPA so you might want to look into those schools (that is if you would be willing to go out of state). tehshield makes a good point though. Sure your GPA might not be as competitive as other applicants, but if you can do very well on the PCAT (I would say based on your GPA, at least 90th percentile aim for), then that could balance it out. Also extracurricular always can improve your chances depending on what school you're applying to. Some schools look at extracurricular more than others so if you hear that's the case with the school you're applying to, I would say look to get a pharmacy tech job, shadow a pharmacist, and/or volunteer at a local hospital. Usually anything related to the medical field regarding your extracurricular would boost your chances. But all in all, the best advice I can give you is not to feel discouraged and work to your fullest potential to improve. If you do very well on the PCAT, your chances will be a lot higher.

Good Luck!
Nah some of the top schools require a 3.0 science GPA. Most are 2.75 science. Rest are 2.5 and 2.0 science.

2.7 is low average for science GPA but still have a chance…. hopefully your extracurricular activities are good and PCAT scores!!! GOOD LUCK