My Step 2CS experience in Atlanta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glykon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my Step 2CS results today and I passed!!!
I wanted to share my experience from the moment I walked out the prometric center in Atlanta, but I wanted to make sure I give good advice on the prep. So here goes:

Total prep time: 1 1/2 months
-I think it is important to know urself and allocate enough time for the exam prep, just in case anything comes up,it doesnt take u by surprise.

Prep material (retrospective):
In the order of their importance for the exam:
1. FA- 75% of cases were similar (not identical)
2. UW- just the videos are very high-yield for the exam
- the questions&strategy were nice
- the cases were very low-yield on my exam
3. I bought the videos of Dr. Virginia, but it was such a waste of time and money because:
a. the exam room is nothing like the one in the video :nono:
b. she is unfriendly with patients, not really professional (including the clothes) and sucks at basic physical exams
c.the patient notes are poorly written+with capital letters,which are very aggressive on the eye of the reviewer (take it from someone who passed the CS with an asterisk in that section)
-I guess the only indication to buy it is if ur English is not great because u can practise asking questions (which can be a valuable asset)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Study strategy:
1. read usmle brochure to see what they want
2. read the first pages in FA with questions for the patient
3. created my own questioning format:
a.for disease symptoms- I created the initials in my own language (because I dont think in English, I figured it would be easier for me to remember what to ask based on my own language and this paid off- my ICE section was with an asterisk:)
b. PAM HUGS FOSS WADE- added WADE so I never forget to ask:
W=weight
A=appetite
D=diet
E=exercise
And that proved helpful.
4. started to prepare with a study partner via Skype and she helped a looot!!! we prepared for 8h/day for 2weeks.
-she was a U.S.-IMG and because her English was great, I felt like I learnt a lot from studying with her
-she took her exam earlier and passed as well:)
5. when I came to U.S.,I went through the UW videos and prepared with my spouse for 2 weeks.
-I cant stress enough the importance of getting a live study partner after going through the material once with the online study partner.
- we did timed cases from FA, 4-5 at once -break-4 again (+writing all PN on the usmle site).
-we never got to do 12 cases, tough I wish we would've.
-I notice that I had pbs finishing on time, always had the impression there was so much more I could've done, always critic toward my PNs.
-I used to go through the cases again with my spouse to see what I missed and always did more than 85%right.
-the next day, I would go through the PNs with FA, correct my English with better formulated sentences and add whatever I left out. Then I would rewrite the PN 2-3 times to make sure I finish it in 10min (didnt have the time to do this for all PNs, but the ones I did proved very helpful)
-at this time, I noticed that the lenghty FA PNs do NOT fit the spaces allocated byUSMLE and concluded that no one can finish a note and get A+ (FA PNs are still the best format for the exam,in my opinion,so stick to them!)

Last edited:
The days before:
My exam was in Altanta and I found so little info about experiences in there.
I arrived in the city 2 days before the exam and stayed in a hotel 5min away from the Prometric. That was a good call, the Prometric is next to the airport and u can only get there by car or walk on the side of the road and hope no car hits u- which is what we did:D
But I didnt want any surprise on the morning of my exam:) We went to the prometric the day before and it proved kind of well hidden (there's no arrow saying Step 2CS-HERE:D) so that was a good idea as well.
The people in there were so nice- and I mean all of them, even the actors!

The exam:

- it went sooo fast, I didnt have much time to think about the previous case(s)
- practice with the instruments before the exam begins- I had trouble finding the tongue depressor in one case because they were put in a funny different place
- I took about 1min to write down the info from the door and my plan for asking the qs
- dont forget to drape the patient before the physical exam begins
- I cant say anything about my cases, but I didnt have any difficult patients (no screaming, threatening or whatever else they say to scare u)
- I had just one strange case where I couldnt figure out what was wrong, but would've had 3-4 more had I used just FA for my prep.
- keep in mind that u are not allowed to talk to ur fellows about the cases-> keep it to urself and understand that everyone in that room thinks they could've done better given more time.
- by the time I was hungry, the first break began. The food was good:) I also had a small Listerine with me to use after the meal.
- the last cases were more difficult because we were all tired
- finished the exam around 3pm and left the center as fast as we could- most of us were frustrated& unsure if we pass/fall. Keep in mind it's normal to feel like that.
For the next 2 days, I had nightmares that I would fall the exam, then managed to put it behind till yesterday. It's hard to wait for the results for 2 months, but it's good when u see the PASS on ur exam report:)
I found this forum very helpful so I am happy to answer any qs within the limits allowed for this exam.
Good luck to all who are receiving their score report today and to those preparing for Step 2CS!:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I used FA for step 2 CS and made sure I read all the cases in it-I also read the mini-cases section the day before the test. The cases are very similar to the ones in the first aid book-there were 1 or 2 weird ones but they weren't that bad.

I used FA for step 2 CS and made sure I read all the cases in it-I also read the mini-cases section the day before the test. The cases are very similar to the ones in the first aid book-there were 1 or 2 weird ones but they weren't that bad.

That's a good sign for you and I wouldn't worry too much about passing. UWorld says u have to do >60% right in each section to pass. My study partner had a similar experience with u and she passed:)