My stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundamking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am a junior going to be a senior and getting a Degree in Biomedical Engineering. I got an Associates Degree and finished my general chemistry and general biology and general physics there. I had a 3.2 gpa from there and currently in college I have a 2.3 gpa due to organic chemistry which I have failed twice due to the stress of engineering classes. I have retaken and gotten a D in Orgo 1 and now am going to take Orgo 2 in the summer. I work at a hospital and have clincal experience from there. I havent taken the MCAT yet

What should I do to make sure I can get into a good medical school?

(Didn't want to make a repeat post, just wanted to explain my situation, Ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability.)

Members don't see this ad.

What should I do to make sure I can get into a good medical school?

With 30 credits to go and a 2.3 your best bet is to retake the classes you've done poorly in and apply to a DO program. They will take your replacement grade, but that still means you need to get an As in them for it to be worth while.

Even if you aced everything from here on out, including post bacc you would still be well below the average in terms of GPA for MD programs.

IMO It doesn't make much sense to take orgo 2 in the summer either when it's condensed if you've already done poorly in the first class twice. Id say retake it, do well, and then take orgo 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
retake F/Ds get As apply DO . Not this year, do it after you get those grades.

Reactions: 1 users
With 30 credits to go and a 2.3 your best bet is to retake the classes you've done poorly in and apply to a DO program. They will take your replacement grade, but that still means you need to get an As in them for it to be worth while.

Even if you aced everything from here on out, including post bacc you would still be well below the average in terms of GPA for MD programs.

IMO It doesn't make much sense to take orgo 2 in the summer either when it's condensed if you've already done poorly in the first class twice. Id say retake it, do well, and then take orgo 2.
Wow I probably should have taken easier classes then. Thanks for the help this really makes my situation clearer.

Wow I probably should have taken easier classes then. Thanks for the help this really makes my situation clearer.

To be more explicit, if you took an additional 60 credit hours and received nothing but 'A's you would have a 2.98. I believe the average GPA for MD is about 3.5-6.

Of course with grade replacement it could increase significantly more than a 2.98 if you're ok with DO.

To be more explicit, if you took an additional 60 credit hours and received nothing but 'A's you would have a 2.98. I believe the average GPA for MD is about 3.5-6.

Of course with grade replacement it could increase significantly more than a 2.98 if you're ok with DO.
Have you calculated your year by year gpa?
From your post, it appears to be lower now than when you started.
it is indeed lower than when I started.

it is indeed lower than when I started.
You have the unfortunate combination of a very low gpa and negative trend.
Your best bet is to address the cause of this performance and investigate DO grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I ever go to Medical School? I am really trying to turn my life around now and I really want to get an MD. Is this going to be black mark on the rest of life.

MD possibilities are just about non existent. If you want to be a doctor you have several years of grade replacement ahead of you and then you might have options at DO schools. If you aren't okay with DO you need a Plan B. Oh and you will have to retake Org 1 since a D isn't acceptable for a prerequisite. And you'll need As in all of your retakes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

MD possibilities are just about non existent. If you want to be a doctor you have several years of grade replacement ahead of you and then you might have options at DO schools. If you aren't okay with DO you need a Plan B. Oh and you will have to retake Org 1 since a D isn't acceptable for a prerequisite. And you'll need As in all of your retakes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I don't really understand that. I have A's in all the pre-requsites for med school except for organic chemistry. My gpa is really just for engineering courses.

I don't really understand that. I have A's in all the pre-requsites for med school except for organic chemistry. My gpa is really just for engineering courses.
The reason for this is because I took an associates degree before going to undergraduate and that was when I took all my prerequisites except for organic chemistry and biochemistry

They weigh engineering courses just like any other course. I am proof that BME doesn't preclude good grades.

So what is your sGPA? You said the GPA was the result of 2Fs and a D in Orgo 1. So obviously that isn't the real truth if you are now saying your GPA s just engineering courses. Being kind of blunt but a2.3 won't get you into any med school in the US. Many people would say do a SMP but couldn't get into one with your 2.3 GPA. So you'd have to do something about that. I'm sorry if you took offense but you asked the questions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Can I ever go to Medical School? I am really trying to turn my life around now and I really want to get an MD. Is this going to be black mark on the rest of life.
You have yet to demonstrate that you can survive a medical school curriculum.

Yeah as Goro would say, "Beggars can't be choosers". Unfortunately, with a 2.3 and bad performance in Ochem 1, MD isn't an option. Really the best approach (and the only one that's practical) is significant grade replacement + DO.