My start towards being a Radiologist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg13jose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending community college. I've gone back and forth on what I want to do with my life. I tried the whole "I can make it on my own without college" thing. That didn't work out. I've finally decided to face my fears and start towards a career as a Radiologist.

Since finishing highschool I have been working in medical settings. First as a janitor of all things, then registering patients in the ER, next an imaging center, and now at a urology clinic. Even as a janitor I fell in love with the idea of beng a doctor. My fears came because of my experience in highschool. I was a complete slacker. I barely passed all my classes. Not because of difficulty learning, but because I didn't want to. I did the minimum amount of work to get by. Now I wonder if that will keep me from making it as a doctor. I fear that I might be too far behind when it comes to science and math. I'm willing to fight through this though and study as much as it takes. My next fear comes from financial burdens. My dad is living with Multiple Myeloma. Since being diagnosed with this he has been forcedto retire, and now it's just my mom and I earning. I fear that when I make it in to med school, I might not be able to work. I know I can't be the only one that went through a similar situation. How did you handle working and med school?

My next question is about being an EMT/Paramedic. I've been working in the medical field for a few years now. Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in front of a computer all day answering phones. I'm thinking of becoming an EMT, possibly a Paramedic somewhere down the line. I do have some questions. Will EMT experience be looked upon favorably when applying to med school? Will taking this route actually be a bad thing and side track me too much from my actual goal? The course itself is 21days here at UT Southwestern in Dallas. Also, will the schedule of an EMT be to much to attend college?

I know this a load full, but any response would help. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I'm 23yrs old and currently attending community college. I've gone back and forth on what I want to do with my life. I tried the whole "I can make it on my own without college" thing. That didn't work out. I've finally decided to face my fears and start towards a career as a Radiologist.

Since finishing highschool I have been working in medical settings. First as a janitor of all things, then registering patients in the ER, next an imaging center, and now at a urology clinic. Even as a janitor I fell in love with the idea of beng a doctor. My fears came because of my experience in highschool. I was a complete slacker. I barely passed all my classes. Not because of difficulty learning, but because I didn't want to. I did the minimum amount of work to get by. Now I wonder if that will keep me from making it as a doctor. I fear that I might be too far behind when it comes to science and math. I'm willing to fight through this though and study as much as it takes. My next fear comes from financial burdens. My dad is living with Multiple Myeloma. Since being diagnosed with this he has been forcedto retire, and now it's just my mom and I earning. I fear that when I make it in to med school, I might not be able to work. I know I can't be the only one that went through a similar situation. How did you handle working and med school?

I know this a load full, but any response would help. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Well first and foremost, you need to realize that if you go down this path you are at least 10-15 years away from being a radiologist depending upon how many credits you have in CC. Next, you need to transfer out of CC to a bachelors granting 4 year university. You need to do excelent in all of your pre-reqs. You also really need to judge yourself and determine if you can handle medical school academically. If you haven't gone to a 4 year college, there is no way you can know yet if you could handle it. So, transfer to a 4 year university or college, take some basic science and math, and see how you do. If you succeed, then you can hopefully finish a bachelors degree with good grades, take the MCAT, apply, and get in to med school.

As for working during med school. Simply put do not plan on making much of a living during med school, you will be lucky if you can make a few extra bucks without your academics suffering.

My next question is about being an EMT/Paramedic. I've been working in the medical field for a few years now. Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in front of a computer all day answering phones. I'm thinking of becoming an EMT, possibly a Paramedic somewhere down the line. I do have some questions. Will EMT experience be looked upon favorably when applying to med school? Will taking this route actually be a bad thing and side track me too much from my actual goal? The course itself is 21days here at UT Southwestern in Dallas. Also, will the schedule of an EMT be to much to attend college?

I'm currently in paramedic school and I love every minute of it. My program is very demanding both academically and mentally. I'm applying to med school next year or maybe the year after. My choice in doing so is twofold: first, I may not get in to med school right away, so would have an awesome job to fall back to and doing skills and such that many veteran physician's barely scratch in their career. My friend (paramedic) has delivered 3 baby's and intubated over 30 times, which is friggin cool. Not to mention all the other save's he's made. Second, I know if/when I get in to med school I want to be an ER physician and the best ER docs out there started off as medics.

Okay, now the caveat. Becoming a EMT or Paramedic will not get you in to med school, but will DEFINITELY stand out contrary to what many on SDN say. My friend who is a 2nd year med student and veteran medic told me at EVERY one of his interview's he was asked about his experiences and some of the patients he encountered. Many on this forum & adcoms too, espouse the need for clinical experience and a passion for medicine. IMHO, there is no better way to show you are truly dedicated to helping those who are sick than becoming and WORKING as a medic. I've also been able to do some great networking, which led to shadowing, which will lead to an awesome LOR. Now, before the flaming begins and some will say become a whatever instead of a medic, remember EVERY one us when something goes wrong be it sick, hurt, bleeding etc call 911 period.

So, if you are interested in gaining a kick ass adventurous job, while gaining experience most docs never get then go for it. It's also a great way to work while knocking out your prereqs as it's a very flexible job. If you don't initially get in it's also a great plan B while you continue to make yourself a more attractive applicant to med school. Take care, and good luck on this journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any experience that shows your interest in your fellow humans is good experience for pre-medicine. Being an EMT works as good as anything and you do have experiences with patients from which you can draw as well as life experience.

I was a complete slacker. I barely passed all my classes. Not because of difficulty learning, but because I didn't want to. I did the minimum amount of work to get by.

You'll need to do quite well in a four year college, then med school, then the boards to end up in a competitive residency like rads. You'll basically have to never be a slacker again, regardless of the reason. If you can manage that, great.

I actually think it's silly to go to med school with a single specific specialty in mind. Most med students change their minds at least once as to specialty in med school, once they get more exposure. Some things they thought they'd hate they like and some things they thought they'd like end up not being all that. You do yourself a bit of a disservice going into med school without an open mind. Rads is one of the more competitive specialties, and how you do on the boards will largely determine whether you even have a prayer. Until you get to that point, you probably should just have one or more specialties you are "leaning towards" but nothing you have your heart totally set on. Most people going into medicine will not end up in a competitive specialty.

I actually think it's silly to go to med school with a single specific specialty in mind. Most med students change their minds at least once as to specialty in med school, once they get more exposure. Some things they thought they'd hate they like and some things they thought they'd like end up not being all that. You do yourself a bit of a disservice going into med school without an open mind. Rads is one of the more competitive specialties, and how you do on the boards will largely determine whether you even have a prayer. Until you get to that point, you probably should just have one or more specialties you are "leaning towards" but nothing you have your heart totally set on. Most people going into medicine will not end up in a competitive specialty.

Let me go +1 on this.
It's silly to go to college with only one thing in mind.

I think it's great to have goals, but make sure you go to college to learn about things that interest you. If that's science, great, if it's something else that's fine too. For good or bad, most people who go into college thinking they want to be a doctor don't go down that road. Make sure you go for something that interests you and that will lead to good career opportunities. If you end up with the typical pre-med/bio major, make sure you will be happy with the careers that can come out of that in case you don't attend medical school.

In any case, :luck:, and make sure you do as well in possible in all of your classes. Take a lighter course load to start if needed. Don't go for that gung ho 4 science classes in your first semester. That burns a lot of people's dreams before they even get started.

Let me go +1 on this.
It's silly to go to college with only one thing in mind.

I think it's great to have goals, but make sure you go to college to learn about things that interest you. If that's science, great, if it's something else that's fine too. For good or bad, most people who go into college thinking they want to be a doctor don't go down that road. Make sure you go for something that interests you and that will lead to good career opportunities. If you end up with the typical pre-med/bio major, make sure you will be happy with the careers that can come out of that in case you don't attend medical school.

I actually do have other specialties in mind if radiology does not work out. Sorry I probably should have mentioned that. Emergency medicine and, Oncology, are a couple that I am highly interested in. I've heard the difficulty of getting into a good radiology program and I'm willing to do the work. And I understand what you're saying about trying new things in college, because I might discover I like it more than medicine. None of them interest me nearly as much as medicine. I've been around doctors and ER's for the past 6yrs and I know it's what I want to do. It's not a perfect world though and I have thought about other careers I can pursue with a pre-med/bio degree. all of which i can see myself doing and loving.

I'd wait until you are further down the road before you decide you are going to be a star.

I don't remember stating I'd be a star.

Becoming a EMT or Paramedic will not get you in to med school, but will DEFINITELY stand out contrary to what many on SDN say.
Count me among the contrary. I'd guess about 20% of applicants I've seen have an EMT on their application. Of those, maybe 20% have a year or more full-time professional experience.

An EMT license does you zero good in the application process. Work experience that gives you close contact with patients and physicians is great. EMT/Paramedic often qualify, but lots of volunteering does as well. OP- don't do it for the piece of paper. It doesn't impress anyone.
My friend who is a 2nd year med student and veteran medic told me at EVERY one of his interview's he was asked about his experiences and some of the patients he encountered.
I worked as an EMT and it never came up once in my five interviews. If you structure your application around your EMT experience (big mentions in your experience sections and a personal statement that falls into the genre of "Sirens Screaming in the Night"), it will get brought up. If it's not he cornerstone of your app and is just another piece of your life, it probably won't be.
IMHO, there is no better way to show you are truly dedicated to helping those who are sick than becoming and WORKING as a medic.
Meh, I disagree. I learned a lot more about medicine and how a doctor functions working at a free primary care health clinic than I ever did in the back of a rig. EMS is great for a very small slice of medicine. There are better jobs for a broader exposure.
remember EVERY one us when something goes wrong be it sick, hurt, bleeding etc call 911 period.
And when the pipes burst, I call the plumber. Nonsequitor.

Years of full-time work as a paramedic will help you stand out in the process. Six months part-time EMT work will not. And make your application more rich than just EMS. It's such a common theme that you can get lost in the crowd.

One thought is combined BS/MD programs but you're scores may hold you back. If that is the case, talk to the program and see what you need to do to improve - for instance get A's in certain classes or improve on a standardized test or whatever.

It's going to be a long journey. Take out a piece of paper and write down how you came to your career choice. Then turn it around and write down why you want to do this. You don't need to share this with us, but make sure you can articulate to yourself and then to someone close by whose opinion you trust / value.

Next spend a day with a rad. If you haven't dozed off before the end of the day, then make sure to add what you learned to your writeup. Make an appointment with the admissions office at UTSW - I'm guessing you're in Dallas. Dress nicely, arrive on time (or early) and ask thoughtful questions. Ask them what you're asking us. Ask them for guidance and how to proceed. Be honest about your current situation / grades. You want an honest reply as to what is the best course of action. You need to use tact to get an appointment as it's busy season right now. Be polite when you call.

You mentioned you did poorly because you didn't want to. Prove to yourself why it'll be different now. I mean actually set ambitious goals and prove to yourself that you can achieve it. Decide how you want to do this. Then cut the time in half and double the effort to see if you improve it further. How much can you push yourself? You must have no hesitation in answering why you're going to be different now. Once you've done this you can add this to your statement you've been writing.

:luck:

Next spend a day with a rad. If you haven't dozed off before the end of the day, then make sure to add what you learned to your writeup.

Nah, you have to want to be a doctor first, and choose a specialty later. Because not every person gets every specialty, but you are going to be a doctor for a long long time. If you get into med school, manage to pass everything but not end up competitive for the high flying specialties (most med students will not end up doing something competitive), you are going to have to be happy with the choices you have. So find a shadowing/volunteering job where you work with patients. That will give you a start. Don't jump to the specialties from day one.