My PI is trying to kill me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I'm going to whine about it. So, I am the only research analyst on staff for the surgery department that I work for. I own ALL of the data. 5 days post my lap chole, my PI leaves this innocent list in my mailbox: "I need the following data on ALL of the surgery patients for the last year for a grant." This grant will pay for my salary for the next year... and so... I've been pulling down 14 hour days to get the data since then, because it has to be gathered by Monday.

My manager offered to stand over my desk until I get it done.

I'm just going to say it and get it off of my chest. I will never go into surgery, because I think surgeons are somewhat unhinged. It's understandable, given chronic, long-term lack of sleep they endure, but they are crazy people. And I know from crazy. No offense to the surgeons out there, (many of them are friends of mine), but from where I'm standing... :scared:

Ok, off to bed for me before I meet the same fate...

S.

Members don't see this ad.

I will never go into surgery, because I think surgeons are somewhat unhinged. It's understandable, given chronic, long-term lack of sleep they endure, but they are crazy people. And I know from crazy. No offense to the surgeons out there, (many of them are friends of mine), but from where I'm standing... :scared:

Ok, off to bed for me before I meet the same fate...

S.

They are. Especially the women. Most of the men too. :( Depressing.

Good luck with your data, Nanon.

Not quite similar but wanted to share....My PI strongly discouraged me from pursuing med school. I worked in the lab and he felt that my shadowing activities in the early morning were interferring with my lab productivity and committment to science. I would shadow a surgeon early in the morning during her clinic and in the OR and would be back to the lab by 9:30 or so, before most of the other people even showed up to work. Since I depended on him for my salary, I had to stop....But now I am not working for him any more so I can once again start working on the goal.

By the way, the surgeon I shadowed is a woman, extremely nice and down to earth, probably one of the very few surgeons out there who are down to earth. Her nurse loves her! I told her if I ever needed a surgery, I'd come to her (hopefully that won't be necessary :D).

Good luck with the data and hopefully the grant will be funded.

Last edited:
That's rough. Hang in there.... The same thing happens to many people who are seriously involved in research. When there's a grant deadline, the PI wants the unimaginable and they want it last week. This is the personality of most serious researchers - not just surgeons. I think that's what you're seeing.