My patient keeps biting her tongue!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europeman

Trauma Surgeon / Intensivist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
25yo adenovirus ards on ecmo whenever RaSS anything less than -5 she bites the hell out of her tongue which is really problematic because of the heparin for her ecmo. She's very edematous including her face and tongue. This wasn't a problem when she was intubated but now with tracheostomy her mouth is free to keep me busy! I have tried the Popsicle stick with gauze when that didn't work I put an oral airway in which doesn't work. Her tongue so big and swollen that the airway just doesn't create enough space. There are big blocks like u use at dentist which wedge between hour teeth on the side/back but I'm scared she will swallow it. For now I just stuffed the heck out of a curlex which seems to be working. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from bite blockade, I would start working the patient up for delirium. How long have they been on ECMO? Scheduling a low dose anti-psychotic of your choice would probably be a reasonable place to start. Not knowing any more about her condition, I would also rule out sepsis, hepatic failure, etc as secondary causes and go from there.

Hi.

I appreciate your response. We are well passed that stage. Bite block how? Back of mouth? She's as critically I'll as it gets. Everything u described has been amd continues to be done. The question is simply about the tongue

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

I appreciate your response. We are well passed that stage. Bite block how? Back of mouth? She's as critically I'll as it gets. Everything u described has been amd continues to be done. The question is simply about the tongue

Posted using SDN Mobile
If trach'd and no PO intake and not vomiting risk, may consider wiring the jaw shut... conceivably, risks < benefits.

Botox to the masseter muscles, will save the tongue but a feeding tube would be required for while.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a unique idea!

Haha :

Wow.

We just did the curlex shoved in mouth method and it's working

I had a pt present similarly after a head injury and she ended up getting her jaw wired by OMF for a couple weeks until her mentation cleared and had it removed. In the interim we had the family purchase a mouth piece (typical football/boxing type mouthpiece) that worked well until the wiring.

My patient is intubated though presumably yours is not?

My patient is intubated though presumably yours is not?
She was nasotracheally intubated for facial fx repairs ended up having to go back to get her jaw wired d/t tongue biting