My OMFS Residency Application Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shabu2 said:
How much higher should you have gotten to get a few more interviews?

Higher, the better above a 90!

Members don't see this ad.

toofache32 said:
I agree. I turned down all NY interviews once I realized I had enough to go elsewhere. My sister lives there and it's bad enough just to visit her every once in a while in that place. They say "if you can live in NYC, you can live anywhere." So if you can live anywhere, why on earth would you live in NYC?

End of rant. Didn't mean to hijack.

I :love: NYC - despite the transit strike! Well toofache, I don't want to live anywhere, I want to live here (although I am being transplanted to the south for 3 years :eek: ).

Interesting reasoning Yah-E. Good luck, you are an inspiration for many dental students out there. You will definitely be a very motivated oral surgeon!!!!

Here's an update, remember how you guys waited for December 1st to arrived to find out if you gotten accepted to dental school or not? Well, January 30th for me is the exactly the samething as that, but 1000X more intense because it determines whether if all my hard work towards the OMFS dream comes true or not.

With all the well-qualified competition out there on the "trail", I often feel that I will need a miracle! Since I put all my eggs in the OMFS basket, I haven't really put too much effort into what I should do in the case that I do not match!

Choices are:
1) OMFS 1-year internship

or

2) Start to work in general practice

If I decide to start GP, then I believe I will forego my OMFS dream. There are so many reasons for me to start work as a GP, but only one reason for me to continue to pursue OMFS (and that is OMFS). People always say, "everything happens for a reason"! I can't wait to see what happens on January 30th. My future will be a bit more clearer! Stay tuned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
I often feel that I will need a miracle!

I think you got one named katrina... even though it was a tragedy for everyone else (god bless them) it may work out for your benefit. :rolleyes:

GatorDMD said:
I think you got one named katrina... even though it was a tragedy for everyone else (god bless them) it may work out for your benefit. :rolleyes:
My miracle was GatorDMD and OMFS2012 :love: :love: . They showed me how great spooning was after a long day of OMS interviewing :laugh: :laugh:

TiggerJSA said:
My miracle was GatorDMD and OMFS2012 :love: :love: . They showed me how great spooning was after a long day of OMS interviewing :laugh: :laugh:

You B****, you told me I was special.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
You B****, you told me I was special.
Oh, what you and I had wasn't a miracle... it was fate :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh:

You flambouyant SOBs need to get together soon to take care of that itch! :smuggrin:

Yah-E said:
You flambouyant SOBs need to get together soon to take care of that itch! :smuggrin:

how did you know about the itch? Tigger you bastard you were suppose to keep it a secret! :mad:

This is funny as hell. You guys sound like a bunch of Shreveport residents....

I am surprised that you have applied to a good mix of schools including 4 and 6 yr programs, and even applied to case western... your geographic distribution also seems pretty well spread out... why then did you not apply to Ohio State???

jyanich said:
I am surprised that you have applied to a good mix of schools including 4 and 6 yr programs, and even applied to case western... your geographic distribution also seems pretty well spread out... why then did you not apply to Ohio State???

Because they're Buckeyes! I'm a Gopher! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a call from Dr. Ellis (OMFS Residency Director at Parkland) tonight (2 hours ago) and he offered me an internship spot in case I don't match in two weeks. We had about a 10 minutes or so phone conversation and I thought that was extremely cool of him to think of me. He said that he was looking through applications to select of possible interns. I'm sure he called couple of others as well, but he said that if I don't match, he'll definitely have a intern spot for me! :thumbup:

I am absolutely 100% grateful for this offer and excited!

So if I don't match (hopefully I will, I love my #1 choice), I'll have an internship spot opportunity set up! Sweet! I can sleep a little better now!

Doggie, watch out, here I come (if I don't match)! ;) We can finally put on our boxing gloves and go couple rounds (which I'll love)!

Yah-E said:
I received a call from Dr. Ellis (OMFS Residency Director at Parkland) tonight (2 hours ago) and he offered me an internship spot in case I don't match in two weeks. We had about a 10 minutes or so phone conversation and I thought that was extremely cool of him to think of me. He said that he was looking through applications to select of possible interns. I'm sure he called couple of others as well, but he said that if I don't match, he'll definitely have a intern spot for me! :thumbup:

I am absolutely 100% grateful for this offer and excited!

So if I don't match (hopefully I will, I love my #1 choice), I'll have an internship spot opportunity set up! Sweet! I can sleep a little better now!

Doggie, watch out, here I come (if I don't match)! ;) We can finally put on our boxing gloves and go couple rounds (which I'll love)!
did u interview there?

jyanich said:

Some internal issues at Ohio State from what I heard from a recent graduate and a few attendings. Trying to find a new program director.....political issues....

With only 9 days left until OMFS match day, I've been restless and anxious to find out my application result. Today when I woke up at 6 AM in the morning, I can't help to feel an overwhelming intuition that I will not match!

I keep on saying to myself, I've done everything that I could've done in the last 3.5 years to make myself a competitive applicant, but now realize that numbers are really the keys to an application success. 93+ on Part 1 and top 10% in class rank will get you all the interviews, the more interviews you earn, the higher the probability of match you'll have.

If my #1 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 3 choices, then I'll match to my #1 choice.

If my #2 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 2 choices, then I'll match to my #2 choice if I did not match at my #1 choice.

If my #3 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 2 choices, then I'll match to my #3 choice if I did not match at my #1 or #2 choices.

In another words, if my name appears in any of those 7 spots in their rankings between my 3 top choices, then I'll match!

My 4th rank has 3 more spots
My 5th rank has 2 more spots

I have a totoal of 12 chances/spots for my name to be listed for me to match.

Shoot! 12 chances ain't that much bros! Not a good day today! :cool:

unless they dont get their top2-3 applicants... you may be #5 but still get in your #1 spot.... it is what i am depending on... :scared:

Yah-E said:
With only 9 days left until OMFS match day, I've been restless and anxious to find out my application result. Today when I woke up at 6 AM in the morning, I can't help to feel an overwhelming intuition that I will not match!

I keep on saying to myself, I've done everything that I could've done in the last 3.5 years to make myself a competitive applicant, but now realize that numbers are really the keys to an application success. 93+ on Part 1 and top 10% in class rank will get you all the interviews, the more interviews you earn, the higher the probability of match you'll have.

If my #1 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 3 choices, then I'll match to my #1 choice.

If my #2 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 2 choices, then I'll match to my #2 choice if I did not match at my #1 choice.

If my #3 choice lists/ranks my name in their top 2 choices, then I'll match to my #3 choice if I did not match at my #1 or #2 choices.

In another words, if my name appears in any of those 7 spots in their rankings between my 3 top choices, then I'll match!

My 4th rank has 3 more spots
My 5th rank has 2 more spots

I have a totoal of 12 chances/spots for my name to be listed for me to match.

Shoot! 12 chances ain't that much bros! Not a good day today! :cool:

Yah-E said:

You watch out. We treat our interns worse than our ungrateful patients. :smuggrin:

griffin04 said:
... you are an inspiration for many dental students out there...
Yes, yes he is.

Doggie said:
You watch out. We treat our interns worse than our ungrateful patients. :smuggrin:

That's alright! I have thick skin, bring it on!

Yah-E said:
That's alright! I have thick skin, bring it on!

Thick skin over a glass jaw... nice combo... when the jaw breaks and the skin is intact, we can send you home and wire you shut tomorrow under sedation. Laceration and broke jaw....dang, I got to get up and sew your crap closed.....

esclavo said:
Thick skin over a glass jaw... nice combo... when the jaw breaks and the skin is intact, we can send you home and wire you shut tomorrow under sedation. Laceration and broke jaw....dang, I got to get up and sew your crap closed.....

Yah-E's gone to several hardy externships already. I'm sure he's quite capable of wiring himself. :smuggrin:

Doggie said:
Yah-E's gone to several hardy externships already. I'm sure he's quite capable of wiring himself. :smuggrin:
does anyone remember the movie Green Mile? :scared:

its only 11 hours to go right ?;) listen to some greenday maybe it will cheer u up:)

I logged on today just to see if you got it yah-e...were rooting for yah

read one of your other posts and saw that you matched to your #1 choice.

CONGRATS!

I really enjoyed reading your thread and found it very amusing and helpful.

Good luck to you for the next 6 years...

Now you can start "My OMFS Residency Journey" thread.

No more "My XXXXXXXXX Journey" threads! I believe I've had one too many "journeys" on here!

Well, what can I say, a little luck and a little praying can carry you a long ways! I was pumped up all day today. My Match email was sent at 8:41 AM and I checked my email at 8:47 AM. The email was short and sweet, but I didn't see the word "congratulations" until half way into the email. I was freaking out the whole time! I thought the word would be right in the beginning! I've attached the match email below for you all to reference. Since many of you may be involved in Match down the road, here's a sample email for ya:

From : National Matching Services Inc. <[email protected]>
Sent : Monday, January 30, 2006 8:41 AM
To : [email protected]
Subject : Applicant 10541: Match Result

| | | School | Inbox

To: ANDY P. SHIEH - Applicant Code 10541

This message provides you with your Match result for Phase II of
the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program for residency positions
beginning in 2006.

Congratulations! You have been matched to:

Institution: LOUISIANA STATE UNIV-NEW ORLEANS

Program: OMS-6 YR-MD REQD

Program Code: 1221

-------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Please do NOT respond to this e-mail. ***

If you receive this message prior to checking the Matching Program
web site for your Match result, there is no need for you to also
check your Match result on the web site, as the information
provided on the web site is the same as in this message.​

As you can see, the word "congratulations" did not come up until later in the email!

So I've had a horrible undergraduate GPA
So I've only received 6 interviews out of 20
And even yes, I've been convicted for DUI in undergrad
And I've been threatened by a SDN reject 6897729 (his SDN screen name) - more on this douch later

But you know what, I finally achieved what I aimed for through dedication, perserverance, determination, and a little booze/partying. Gaining admission to a U.S. dental school was challenging 4 years ago, but earning a spot through Match for OMFS is absolutely 100Xs worse than that because one lousy day in the year can ruin your entire 3.5 years of hardwork (all 'em As on exams, all that studying in the library, getting that 90 on Part 1, and sacrafice clinic days for externship)!

I can't believe it.....I can't believe that I did it!

It feels great, it feels damn great!

You guys know what, I will never, EVER need to worry about my undergraduate grade again! No one will ever have the need to evaluate me with my undergraduate grades again!

Oh by the way, this SDN dude, 6897729, wrote me several private messages on SDN stating things like:

"You're on thin ice!"
"I know you applied to my program and no one here thinks highly of you!"
"I will contact all the programs you applied to and warn them about you!"
"You need to shape up and learn how to write English!"
"Words get around in OMFS circuit..."

Just today, he thought that I didn't match so he PMs me this:

"Congratulations.....On not matching...ha ha ha."

What a douche-bag! I told him through our PMs that, "why don't you come out in the open so I can withdraw my application to his residency because I wouldn't want an upper resident douche like him!" Come to think of it, I hope his not a LSU NO resident!? :laugh: I don't think he is because I get along with all the residents at LSU NO! :thumbup:

Can you guys believe this dude? Now that I am a future OMFS resident, I would never say that kind of crap to an OMFS hopeful! Sh1t, at least TX OMS rips on me front of everyone, he doesn't hide it, shoot, at the end TX OMS was even helpful revising my Personal Statement for my application!

I still want to know who this 6897729 guy is! Gavin, let me have this guy's registration info! ;)

At any rate, I strongly believe we have many great OMFS residents/resources on SDN here, but from time to time, there are "haters" out there like this 6897729! Just a sentimental story to share!

My journey ends here, but the real one is still on the horizon. I can't wait and I am truly excited for the opportunity to train with LSU NO!

[DISCLAIMER: I am not a poet nor claimed a writer, my English grammer might suck or I may have spelling errors. Too bad, live with it! Oh yeah, almost forgot, yes, I am a "tool"! ;) ]

Yah-E said:
No more "My XXXXXXXXX Journey" threads! I believe I've had one too many "journeys" on here!

Well, what can I say, a little luck and a little praying can carry you a long ways! I was pumped up all day today. My Match email was sent at 8:41 AM and I checked my email at 8:47 AM. The email was short and sweet, but I didn't see the word "congratulations" until half way into the email. I was freaking out the whole time! I thought the word would be right in the beginning! I've attached the match email below for you all to reference. Since many of you may be involved in Match down the road, here's a sample email for ya:

| | | School | Inbox

beginning in 2006.

As you can see, the word "congratulations" did not come up until later in the email!

And I've been threatened by a SDN reject 6897729 (his SDN screen name) - more on this douch later

But you know what, I finally achieved what I aimed for through dedication, perserverance, determination, and a little booze/partying. Gaining admission to a U.S. dental school was challenging 4 years ago, but earning a spot through Match for OMFS is absolutely 100Xs worse than that because one lousy day in the year can ruin your entire 3.5 years of hardwork (all 'em As on exams, all that studying in the library, getting that 90 on Part 1, and sacrafice clinic days for externship)!

You guys know what, I will never, EVER need to worry about my undergraduate grade again! No one will ever have the need to evaluate me with my undergraduate grades again!

Oh by the way, this SDN dude, 6897729, wrote me several private messages on SDN stating things like:

"You're on thin ice!"

What a douche-bag! I told him through our PMs that, "why don't you come out in the open so I can withdraw my application to his residency because I wouldn't want an upper resident douche like him!" Come to think of it, I hope his not a LSU NO resident!? :laugh: I don't think he is because I get along with all the residents at LSU NO! :thumbup:

Can you guys believe this dude? Now that I am a future OMFS resident, I would never say that kind of crap to an OMFS hopeful! Sh1t, at least TX OMS rips on me front of everyone, he doesn't hide it, shoot, at the end TX OMS was even helpful revising my Personal Statement for my application!

I still want to know who this 6897729 guy is! Gavin, let me have this guy's registration info! ;)

At any rate, I strongly believe we have many great OMFS residents/resources on SDN here, but from time to time, there are "haters" out there like this 6897729! Just a sentimental story to share!

My journey ends here, but the real one is still on the horizon. I can't wait and I am truly excited for the opportunity to train with LSU NO!

[DISCLAIMER: I am not a poet nor claimed a writer, my English grammer might suck or I may have spelling errors. Too bad, live with it! Oh yeah, almost forgot, yes, I am a "tool"! ;) ]

Before it comes out in the open, I want to fess up to you. I am 6897729......not.

All bickering aside, I am happy for you. We need more yellows in this white dominated profession. :D

ooops! andy yur email made me feel so guilty..i want to confess to all ...am the 6020.....! lol!! hearty congrats to you andy! you are a true inspiration to all the SDN applicants! i was sure you would match wherever you wanted to...just make sure you keep the South Florida fever on at the Mardi Gras as well :)

Congrats! I know its been a long journey for you!

Yah-E said:

| | | School | Inbox

beginning in 2006.

"You're on thin ice!"

6897729 said:
Hi Andy,
First off, the correct spelling is douchebag (you'd think that a huge douchebag like yourself would know this).

Second, try not to extract the wrong tooth.

Third, there was a JOMS article a few years back on passing USMLE Step I and correlation to NBDE Part I. Let's just say that you're going to be bitch slapped by that test. What kind of ******* can't get above a 90 on NBDE Part I...ha ha ha ha ha...

If I ever see you at AAOMS, I will be sure to kick your ass all the way back to the short bus, you Hawaiian looking ******.

Just read how much love there is from this douche? Please Moderators, tell me who this is so I can settle this!

Yah-E said:
Just read how much love there is from this douche? Please Moderators, tell me who this is so I can settle this!
Sounds like a disgruntled Periodontist.

Congratulations! :clap:

Thanks everyone for your support and cheering me on. All of us who matched yesterday, I'm sure, we all have worked extremely hard in the last 3.5 years to get where we are today.

Only thing I know is that hard work does reward itself. :thumbup:

Doggie said:
Before it comes out in the open, I want to fess up to you. I am 6897729......not.

All bickering aside, I am happy for you. We need more yellows in this white dominated profession. :D

and blacks. :D

Yah-E said:
:laugh:

maybe a periodontist or someone who wanted LSUNO and didnt get it or didnt have a 90 themself :laugh: .

Yah-E Stalker said:
If I ever see you at AAOMS, I will be sure to kick your ass all the way back to the short bus, you Hawaiian looking ******.

:laugh: not cool but funny :smuggrin:

Yah-E said:
Thanks everyone for your support and cheering me on. All of us who matched yesterday, I'm sure, we all have worked extremely hard in the last 3.5 years to get where we are today.

Only thing I know is that hard work does reward itself. :thumbup:

congrads Andy! the hard work did pay off!

Congratulations Yah-E! I had fun reading your entire thread. You must be one charismatic guy. You keep saying that your numbers aren't good, but everyone you talk to seems to want to help you out.

I know you're probably sick of even thinking about this stuff, but I was wondering how important you think your research experience was in getting accepted? How often did this come up in your interviews? I'm going to start Dental school this year and I want to do OMFS. I'm just wondering where I should devote my time. Do you think it would be better to skip research and just focus on externships?

Congrats again!

Yah-E said:

Congrats Andy! You showed the single-minded determination and I am impressed. As for that 6877....idiot just forget it. You belong to a differnt league altogether.

bloodygums said:
I was wondering how important you think your research experience was in getting accepted? How often did this come up in your interviews? I'm going to start Dental school this year and I want to do OMFS. I'm just wondering where I should devote my time. Do you think it would be better to skip research and just focus on externships?

Good question! My research experience (or there lack of) did ZERO to get me in or getting interview invitations! During my interviews, since I had some mumble jumble research listed on my CV, it was asked at all of my interviews.

Bottom line: since I had stuff listed, interviewers wanted to know what you did. So be prepared to talk about it, everything and anything in your application is fair game.

Note this though, if you did some amazing research project during dental school and published, attended/participated in a NIH summer scholarship program, and/or presented a research poster at an AAOMS or IADR/AADR convention, believe you and me, your application will receive a lot of positive attention!

I guess overall, research is good to have, but absolutely not required. If you have research, then I suggest you make it big. If it's half-@ssed research, then it's not even worth doing anything. For me personally, I rather be in the clinic/hospital to get hands on such as Externships, but for some, they rather be hands on in research labs! It's up to you. I would vote for spending your time on externships than research! What do the rest of you OMFS dudes think?

Just want to say to ramona, bloodygums, rahmed, and everyone else, thanks for cheering me on....

That guy is right, you are a douche bag! Didn't freekin call me or find me in school to tell me you matched, have to freekin find out on some lame a$$ e-mail on yahoo. All kidding aside, congrats man.

ditto. doesnt seem to matter unless big but i would do at least the minimal so u dont stick out in a bad way. The good programs want complete packages rank, gpa, NBDE, research, externships, leadership. I say do some but not too much ... be balanced. Andy if I have not said it... Congrats and keep this thread or a new one alive. I may start a blog about my OMFS years. Lata Playa! :cool: :D

Yah-E said:
Good question! My research experience (or there lack of) did ZERO to get me in or getting interview invitations! During my interviews, since I had some mumble jumble research listed on my CV, it was asked at all of my interviews.

Bottom line: since I had stuff listed, interviewers wanted to know what you did. So be prepared to talk about it, everything and anything in your application is fair game.

Note this though, if you did some amazing research project during dental school and published, attended/participated in a NIH summer scholarship program, and/or presented a research poster at an AAOMS or IADR/AADR convention, believe you and me, your application will receive a lot of positive attention!

I guess overall, research is good to have, but absolutely not required. If you have research, then I suggest you make it big. If it's half-@ssed research, then it's not even worth doing anything. For me personally, I rather be in the clinic/hospital to get hands on such as Externships, but for some, they rather be hands on in research labs! It's up to you. I would vote for spending your time on externships than research! What do the rest of you OMFS dudes think?

Just want to say to ramona, bloodygums, rahmed, and everyone else, thanks for cheering me on....

Yah-E said:
Good question!

ps... love the transformer avator. Really dates you... but i cant hate i am in your genre.

Yah-E said:
Note this though, if you did some amazing research project during dental school and published, attended/participated in a NIH summer scholarship program, and/or presented a research poster at an AAOMS or IADR/AADR convention, believe you and me, your application will receive a lot of positive attention!....

What if you've done a lot of research during dental school and won a couple of reasearch awards, you are 1st author on an article published in a dental journal, but your research has nothing to do with OMFS? (it's more related to biomaterials, dental composites and stuff). How will OMFS programs look at that? By the way, congrats Yah-E! I don't post much, but I remember reading your posts way back in 2002 before we even started dental school. Time flys!