my nephrology rotation at robert wood johnson hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi am a post -BS PharmD , i thought since i was already a rph i could slide by on these rotations ..............you cant ..........its 8 41 i have 2 case presentations due tommorow hw on fri and a roudning was for like 4 hours today.............did any of you guys have a tough professor on rounds..........i mean when i was doing my BS stuff was a lot easier id be out of the hosp by 4 max............

Members don't see this ad.

wow i had no ideas rotations were gonna be so rigorous.. thats not kool..since some people might still be taking academic clsses or studying for the boards. do you enjoy what your learning though?

I hear you. I had a Adult Med rotation earlier this year, and as luck would have it, I became the 'pharmacist' for the Med Student rounds-and the first 3 weeks were under the wary eye of the MD nephrologist. Lucky for us, 3 hours rounding was the norm.

I had plenty of case studies and patients to track. I spent my nights studying what I encountered that day for the next morning's rounds. Me and BigRedUgly (Pharmacology) became good friends. On top of that, I had to present in front of the Medical Residents and their 3rd/4th years on a weekly basis (nothing major-I was asked to do a talk on IV fluids when a 3rd year medStudent asked me what D50 was when he was copying an insulin sliding scale...and it became a weekly thing).

But-I also learned the most from that rotation. I wish I could've taken boards right after it.

Hang in there-even if it sucks, its only a few weeks, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck with the nephrology one.. i've heard it can be tough...

Keep us posted. I'm curious to hear about your rotation

Originally posted by badxmojo
wow i had no ideas rotations were gonna be so rigorous.. thats not kool..since some people might still be taking academic clsses or studying for the boards. do you enjoy what your learning though?

How many rotations do you have to do?

A dumb question I know for all of you, but I'm in the dark here. ;)

Thanks!:)

BUMP

I am really interested in this topic. I would like to hear more about what pharm. rotations are like!

Number and length of rotations depends on the school. NDSU makes me do 9 five week rotations. The U of MN has 8 fivers and 1 10 week (I think). I ran into a U of M student last week that said he heard some schools doing only 6 rotations (no idea how long they were, though)

The difficulty of the rotation is really site specific. Like I said posted earlier-I really got slammed to the wall on my adult med rotation. But I just finished a rotation at the corporate office of a chain pharmacy, and I got a lot of extracurricular stuff done (researched for a new car after mine was totalled). That's not to say that I didn't learn anything-I had plenty of projects to do. It was just easier to let things slide for an extra hour or two. This current rotation has me hanging out in clinical affairs at a drug company. While I have things I am expected to do, the work dries up at times. My preceptor has his job first, and when he gets time, we chat and he'll assign me some more stuff. It leaves me plenty of time, as long as I realize that deadlines have to be met. Time management anyone?

I have yet to have a bad experience on rotations. Your preceptors were once in your boat, too-and they remember it. Even with the Adult Med rotation-since I came in early, my preceptor usually tried to kick me out by 3pm-he knew I'd put in my time and more. I usually stuck around until 5 or 6, though. He knew too much that I wanted to learn. I guess I got a lot out of it because I wanted to. I had a classmate doing her general hospital rotation at the same site then-and she never hesitated to get out early. She hated the rotation, and didn't get much out of it because she didn't put much into it. I think part of the reason was that she already had a retail job lined up.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I think the work is starting to dry up again.